Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
dbnook
0 Kudos

nook battery life

I have a nook since Feb. 2010, and I have noticed my battery lasting only at the most 4 days max with the airplane mode on, and the WiFi off. That is that I spend max 2hrs on it every day. What's up with that? Customer service gave a few suggestions on how to reset it by removing the battery for about two hours, and to recharge it afterwards. After that didn't work, I called customer service again, and received no help. Does anyone have any advice for me?

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Wegg
0 Kudos

Re: nook battery life

Thats all I have ever gotten from mine as well.  I just chalked it down to "they lied".  Which is pretty common for battery life on most products.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: nook battery life

@dbnook,

1. Unplug the device if it is plugged in.

2. While unplugged, hold down the power button for 15 seconds to make sure the device is off.

3. Plug the device into the wall (with the battery still in it).  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.

4. If the yellow LED does come on, leave the device plugged in and allow it to charge.  After 30 minutes or so, it should boot up and charge fully.

5. If the yellow LED does not come on after step 3, go ahead and remove the plug, and then remove the battery.

6. Leave the battery for 4 hours (overnight if possible).  This step basically allows the battery to “reset”

7. After the 4 hours, go ahead and re-insert the battery.

8. Plug the device into the wall.  The yellow LED should come on within 10-30 seconds.  If so, leave it plugged in and allow it to boot and charge.

If this issue continues and  there is a store near you a store rep can put a “good” battery in the device to get it to boot up.  After it’s booted, they can swap the battery with the defective battery.

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

Your Admin.,

Michael-V