Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ardeur
0 Kudos

nook battery life?

[ Edited ]

I feel like my battery does not hold its charge very well. I've talked to customer support about this issue 3 different times. I've done a hard reset, gotten a new battery, and done a battery rest. Nothing has changed.

For example, my nook was plugged into the wall all night and was at 100% battery life this morning. It's now been 4 hours since I unplugged it from the wall, and my battery charge is down to 88%. I've made about 18 page turns, total. That's it. The wi-fi is disconnected, too. The software version is up-to-date (1.5.0). I bought my nook new about 1 month ago. Does this look weird?

What does your battery life look like in a day?

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Re: nook battery life?

[ Edited ]

Just sitting there with the screen saver on, untouched, sucks battery life out of mine. I generally have to charge it every three days with standard use. I keep Airplane mode on unless I'm downloading a new book.

My wife can go a lot longer with her Kindle, so maybe it's the touchscreen.

(Also, mine does seem to initially drop from 100% very quickly.)

Reader 2
JonJTN
0 Kudos

Ten day battery life is way over-promising.  Mine gets about 15 hours before it reports about 25% battery left.  At that rate, 20 hours would be the best from a full charge.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@ardeur

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

That sounds about right.  I read several hours every day, and need to charge about every three days.

Your battery meter is still calibrating itself.  For the next few charging cycles, try reading until the message to recharge comes onto the e-ink screen -- generally around 17% -- and then charge.  After several cycles, you may notice some modest improvement.  Don't expect 10 days, though.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Also try lowering the amount of time and brightness of the touch screen. 

New User
LovinBeachLivin
0 Kudos

I'm right there with you....charged fully yesterday evening, played some because it was new, then powered all the way off. Turned on this evening and was at 61% battery charge. There is NO 10 days as advertised. I'm not liking my Nook after only 24 hours!

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I think powering all the way off and then turning back on uses MORE juice then not turning it all the way off at all. when you just shut it off for a second and it goes to screen saver it does not use much or any power to display that I believe

just plug it into the wall every 3-4 days.  not that hard.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

just plug it into the wall every 3-4 days.  not that hard.

I don't get ten days, either.  I probably get just over a week, maybe ten days in standby, but with my normal use of three to four hours a day, I'd need to charge it twice a week.  Since I charge it on the entertainment center, I probably do charge it everyday, maybe every other day.

Battery life wasn't a huge consideration for me because I'm used to having to plug in phones, laptops, Wii remotes (well, return to the charging base) mp3 players, et al...

For those for whom it is a serious consideration, I fear they may be disappointed find NOOK's battery life disappointing.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

LovinBeachLivin wrote:

I'm right there with you....charged fully yesterday evening, played some because it was new, then powered all the way off. Turned on this evening and was at 61% battery charge. There is NO 10 days as advertised. I'm not liking my Nook after only 24 hours!

I can deal with plugging it in every 3-4 days and letting it charge.  I couldn't deal with not being able to check out library books, so it's a worthwhile trade off.  Plus, I like the swipe feature to change pages.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@LovinBeachLivin

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

You might want to read a book or two before deciding that you're really "not liking your Nook".  :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

For those for whom it is a serious consideration, I fear they may be disappointing.

True.  But for those for whom it's a real issue, like a person planning a 24-hour flight -- as opposed to a disappointed expectation of only having to plug in in every 10 days -- backup power supplies are small, powerful, convenient and relatively inexpensive.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@ABThree, leave it to you to make sure my lack of proofreading (I changed how I wanted to say that mid-thought) was preserved forever.  :smileytongue:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

@ABThree, leave it to you to make sure my lack of proofreading (I changed how I wanted to say that mid-thought) was preserved forever.  :smileytongue:

Ah, but it's a great sentence.  It conjures all kinds of possible meanings.  LOL  :smileywink:

ABthree
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

Ah, but it's a great sentence.  It conjures all kinds of possible meanings.  LOL  :smileywink:

I liked it, too -- I didn't even realize that there was anything wrong with it until Ya_Ya posted.  In fact, I still like it. :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Medtaz165
0 Kudos

I just got Snookieookieookie on Monday eve. around  5 pm. I just charged it last night around 5 ish and it was at  20%. For the past few days I have been reading and fiddling and checking and rechecking and going back and forth thru all my buttons and tabs..I have changed the wall paper and the screen saver a bunch of times too. Also I switched to airplane mode to save battery in what ever teeny way possible. I am extremely satisfied the battery length. To me I just roll with the fact that it's electronic..I plug my phone and pc in everyday so only plugging Nookieookieookie in every 3 or 4 days is super neat. Ohh yes I forgot to mention that I am reading for hours!!!!

Please don't hate your nook.... Give it a second chance..Maybe it will surprise you with it's neatness and comfort you when you are super bored waiting for someone who is being rudely late  :smileyhappy:   

Contributor
Lax_Goalie

Mine seem to last quite nicely, I tend to charge it every 5 days or so but I'm pretty sure I could go longer pushing the advertised 10 days. 

Keep the wifi off for starters is the best thing. 

Next change your setting, display, touchscreen timer down to 10 seconds and the touchscreen brightness lower like to 28 % is plenty. 

I mostly read from my Nook.  The only time I turn on the wifi is to get books.  Really it's not the best platform for email, we browsing etc.  Not turning on the wifi and changing your display settings for the touchscreen will make a huge difference.

Regards, 

Lax Goalie

Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

According to B&N's FAQs:

When used for reading with the wireless features turned off, your NOOK's battery lasts about 10 days on a single charge. If you use wireless features and/or play music, you will need to charge the battery after about 2 days of use.

I was pretty shocked to read this. I found this while looking for a customer service link to complain that my battery was only lasting two days.

Reader 2
JonJTN

I suppose the key here is not revealing how many hours per day you can read and expect ten days of charge.

Contributor
RottiemomNJ
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I don't get nearly the battery life they say you should. I spend more time charging it than reading it. I've tried everything they suggest to conserve the battery but none of those suggestions make much of a difference. As soon as I start reading, it runs down very quickly. Very disappointing!

RHWright
0 Kudos

Every electronic product in my life has always over-promised on battery life. From radios powered by AA batteries through various generations of rechargeable batteries, what the specs (& marketing) gives as battery life is a hard-to-achieve best case scenario.

The worst I had was a laptop in '94 that got about 25% of the projected battery life, no matter what I did. The best was my 1st gen iPod nano, which originally got about 80%, and after 5 years is still getting about 50% after countless charging cycles.

If I had to ballpark my Wi-Fi/3G NOOK, since I haven't put it to any kind of organized test, I'd say it usually falls into the 7 day/70% range. I charge it about once a week under my normal use.

Normal for me being:

1) reading 1 – 3 hours every day (probably avg about 2 – 3 page turns per minute)

2) Airplane Mode on and Wi-Fi off most of the time. I may turn it on to check for new content once or twice a week, but I do most of my browsing and purchasing directly on bn.com

3) Don't store or play music

4) Use a mixture of swiping and physical buttons to turn pages

5) Don't really play games or use browser

3) Don't use cover flow that much or spend time organizing a lot of shelves

I may get a little more detailed in my behavior to battery consumption analysis at a later date.