Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
designdetails
0 Kudos

nook color vs ipad

I have been wanting an ipad until I took a look at the nook color.

Has anyone been sorry that they got the nook rather than an ipad?

Correspondent
atlongster

Re: nook color vs ipad

[ Edited ]

I am a HUGE Apple fan, I have my iPod, my Mac, a nifty and overly expensive mouse and keyboard lol.  But I circled the wagon on the iPad since it came out, wondering if I needed it.  And when the NC was unveiled I felt relief that a device for someone like me was coming out.

Here's why I chose the NOOKcolor over the iPad:

-I already have an iPod Touch so I get to play the iOS games and really I didn't need a larger simliar product with the same strong points. 

-The 7 inch form factor is much more pocketable than the iPad and it weights less.

-The NC's screen has a pixel density of 169 whereas the iPad is at 132.  This was key to me because I wanted the iPad or NC mostly for eBook/website/PDF reading.  Also the glare reduction on the NC is pretty good, at least they try :smileyhappy:.

-I didn't need to spend 500 bux on a glorified eBook reader.

-iBooks is a horrible buying experience and while the Nook has an app on the iPad the buying experience is even worse because Apple won't let others create an iBook-like app so you get spit out into a browser.

That all being said when I wanted an iPad it was to read eBooks on a larger screen than my iPod and do light web browsing.  The NC fills both niches very nicely and when the  App Store for the Nook opens up it will be nice to be able to add more functionality.   In other words I wans't getting this to play games on, to watch tons of video on (although once formatted video is beautiful), or other more iPady things. I wasn't looking for a netbookreplacement I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Hope that helped some, sorry if I rambled.

New User
designdetails
0 Kudos

that did help alot - so am I to understand that you are very happy with the Nook Color and not disappointed at all.

I really don't want to spend the big dollars for the ipad - although I did want to have the availability to be able to have a calandar to keep appointments in - does the nook have this capability?

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

I am not dissapointed in the NOOKcolor at all, it is everything I expected and hoped it would be.

As for a calendar, no the NC does not currently support that.  Which I found weird because they do have a "contacts" extra (B&N uses the word extra to kinda denote an app) so why not a basic calendar.  That being said, in the first quarter of 2011 B&N will be giving the NC a firmware update as well as opening an App Store for the NC and I bet you money that in either the firmware update or on their App Store there will be a calendar app, either made by them or an App developer.

Its funny because I had an iPod touch when it first came out, no App Store, the idea of adding software to it was a dream.  So if the B&N App Store is half as well managed as the Apple App Store, it will add many more capabilities to the NC, beyond anything you, me or B&N can probably think of.

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

One other reason for the NC is it supports ePub format.  I want to check books from my library.  For me it is a must have feature. iPad does not support this.

I also want to watch videos so the microSD card slot is a must.  iPad does not support this.

I have not tried it on the Nook but I use Google calender.  That way I can check in any browser.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

There was a thread that Nook_Engineer had someone create in order for people to put their wishes down for a software update.  It is probably a page or 2 back (might even be in the tech section).  I'd say make your wishes known, because there are a great many things they could do with the software.

Another thought is that if anyone is so inclined they might want to look into signing up for the SDK when it is released so they can create apps as well.  Nook developer is I think the term for you to search.

I have always had a kind of problem with Apple stuff myself.  It just seems with first gen products they leave off important functions that are almost necessities today.  With the iPad they actually haven't defined what it is well enough.  It's a tablet, I know, but then what?  I get way more functionality out of my laptop and the only thing it doesn't have is touch.  And it cost a lot less.  I don't have to add on a keyboard that is easy to use.  It has the full version of MS Office.  It has a camera.  It does what I would use an iPad for, granted in a much less glamorous design, but I don't care.

The NOOKcolor has touch capability which makes certain navigation functions a lot easier or faster than the nook which I still have and love.  The color allows me to read magazines that look beautiful.  One other difference besides the obvious between the NC and the nook is the ability to select linked items within a book (such as one that says, "for further info see page 122") and go there.  Then a back tab comes up that will return you to where you left off.  I love this.  Sometimes there are even web links inserted into the book.  Another thing that in the future will be used more often is video content such as are being featured in some cookbooks.

I like the form factor of the NC-the size is right.  I don't want to and often can't carry some larger device with me and my iPhone is not pleasing to read on.  I love my NC.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
jsorvik
0 Kudos

Beyond the fact that they are both Tablet devices, they really are apples and oranges. It appears that B&N wants to protect the NookColor as a ereader device. For that reason, they have limited its access to Android features and are saying they will also limit the breadth of applications they will allow in their App store when it opens.

The Ipad is designed as a very broad productivity device. As such it allows you to edit files, Run Kindle, Nook, and Ibook readers, has a wide range of productivity tools, etc.

As for me, I do not own an Ipad. It is still to expensive for the functionality at the moment. On the other hand, I just returned my NookColor today. There was much that I liked about it, but I returned it for the following reasons:

• It has a number of glitches due to its "newness". If you want the details, check out the NookColor Technical Support forum here. The upside is that many of these will likely be corrected with software/firmware updates in the future.
  • The Internet Browser is just plain painful. . .
  • It does not have bluetooth. That means even if they add the ability to edit PDFs or Word Processing documents, you will not be able to connect to a real keyboard.
  • I decided I want to wait to see how B&N handles the App store. If they severely limit its variety of Apps, they will be, from my opinion, be making a big mistake.
  • I can do everything the NookColor does and a lot more on my Iphone. I could not justify the extra expense for a slightly larger screen.

While I get why B&N does not want the NookColor to be a general Android Tablet, I think they may have made a mistake. This device, with Bluetooth added and an unrestricted App store would have been enough for me to jump in with both feet.

I think I will wait until my tablet device is advanced enough to allow me to figure out a way to dump my netbook. All I need is decent internet, good productivity apps (Like VNC and Word Processing), and i can get by with my phone, tablet, and Desktop computer. . .

Contributor
jsorvik
0 Kudos

BTW. The BlueFire app on the iphone and Ipad allow you to use Adobe DRM Epub books from your public library. . .

Correspondent
atlongster

[ Edited ]

@jsorvik

The NC is an ereader with some tablet abilities.  It sounds like what you wanted was more akin to a Galaxy Tab or something, a true tablet.  To bemoan the NC for not having bluetooth or productivity tools is expecting more from the NC than it can and should deliver.  The NC Isn't meant to be a broad device by any means.

But in saying that you can just "do that stuff on your iPhone" is making my point, the NC isn't a tablet computer, just an ereader with light tablet abilities.  The NC doesn't pretend to be more than it is.

And I do disagree wit the "browser is just plain painful".  I've found it to be just as good as mobile Safari.  True it doesn't have pinch to zoom, but tap to zoom isn't exactly hard work.

Contributor
jsorvik
0 Kudos

I know. . . you are correct. Its just that the specs on the NC are so much better than just an ereader.

B&N is being true to their intent with the NC as an ereader, and that is their choice. It is just that offering a few small enhancments would have made it a great ereader AND a servicable tablet. You should go to some of the Android websites and see how people are drooling over the NC.

I don't mean to criticize the NC. I actually enjoyed it for the week that I had it. I was just responding in light of the subject at hand. . . NookCoior or Ipad. As i said that the beginning of my first post. They are apples and oranges. The Ipad is a Tablet. The NC is an Ereader. Totally different.

But dang. . . the NC was so close to being a decent Tablet as well as a descent Ereader. . .

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

And I agree with on that, B&N could have turned the NC into a great ereader and a more rounded tablet and swept up two markets at once.  And I do see how the android world is drooling over the NC as well they should, its a great little piece of engineering and design.

Luckily firmware upgrades exist.  Those coupled with the impending App Store in the first quarter may yet turn the NC into a more fully developed ereader/lite tablet experience.  Personally I wished they had that at launch but I am excited about it.  I remember when I had the 1st gen iPod Touch, it was a great music player, video player and picture viewer but aside from that not much else.  Then when Apple brought out the App Store the device became my mobile video game console, note taking and organizational tool, and my main source for getting the news and reading blogs.  I hope that NC is able to leverage to their App Store in a similar way and extends the NC in a great new direction.

New User
DotCom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have both and I am returning the Nookcolor.  My needs may be a little different than yours though.  I bought the Nookcolor primarily for the Kid's Corner Read to me Books and it's a failure.  For reading adult books primarily, it's fine.  The speaker is on the back so Read to Me books and video sounds/words actually point away from you toward the back and protective covers make it even worse.  That is a bad design in my opinion.  I didn't like the browser at all.  Also the interface is very clunky compared to the iPad.  The iPad is very smooth.  I wanted the NookColor because it's a lot more portable than the iPad though.  It's just not for me compared to the iPad of which I can read books fine on.  Maybe later iterations when they do an Android update, add more kid's Read to me books, fix the touch sensitivity, upgrade the sound, make the interface smoother and have an App store, I will reconsider.  I really wanted the NC to work for it's portability but sorry to say it's just not ready for my needs.

Your mileage may vary. 

EDIT:

I forgot to add that YouTube videos look horrible on it and are almost unwatchable.

someone posted to use the m.mobile youtube site but that did not help.

Frequent Contributor
bic101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Try these comparison reviews

http://goo.gl/Vt68C

http://goo.gl/gJd4r

http://www.ereaderleader.com/apple-ipad-vs-nook/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

And From a LA Times columnist on Sunday

"The iPad doesn't have the resolution to display print fonts with comfortable crispness at close distances, and it's too heavy to hold without propping it up. The iPad is certainly dazzling on first encounter, but its heart isn't in giving you something to read.
The new color Nook, which I tested at my local Barnes & Noble, has a similar screen and the same shortcomings. That may be why the store takes pains to promote its suitability for children's books, in which color images play a bigger role than the printed word. Still, if you must read in color, the Nook is a cheaper, lighter, smaller device than the iPad, though lacking the big guy's vast array of digital applications.
The Kindle, by contrast, has been optimized as a reading device. The letters seem to sit on top of its matte black-and-white E Ink display, reducing eyestrain, their outlines razor-sharp. One good thing about the Kindle is it's distraction-free - there is a Web browser, but luckily it's almost useless. The iPad invites you to set aside your reading to play, Web surf, check e-mail, futz around in a million digital ways; the Kindle is solely for reading."

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Ok, this is the second place you have copied that "review" to and the reality is that NC has a higher resolution than the iPad does.  The fonts appear crisp and clear so that reviewer must have blurry vision.  I get it you love kindle and that's just fine, but it is not possible to compare the two as they are different devices meant to serve different needs.  Many people wanted a backlight, wanted color, wanted touch, wanted a great many things that the NC does deliver on.  And the potential is for more.  It is not in the same category as a kindle.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

-iBooks is a horrible buying experience and while the Nook has an app on the iPad the buying experience is even worse because Apple won't let others create an iBook-like app so you get spit out into a browser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iBooks is not a horrible experience and the Nook app is a very easy to use not to mention having access to the kindle app as well. Buying books on all three apps is just as easy and as fast as buying them on a Nook or Nook color.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

DotCom wrote:

I have both and I am returning the Nookcolor.  My needs may be a little different than yours though.  I bought the Nookcolor primarily for the Kid's Corner Read to me Books and it's a failure.  For reading adult books primarily, it's fine....

If your going to spend multi-hundreds of dollars on an electronic device for a pre-schooler, then please adopt me :smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

jsorvik wrote:
  • It does not have bluetooth. That means even if they add the ability to edit PDFs or Word Processing documents, you will not be able to connect to a real keyboard.

The one thing missing from the Nook Color that I do lament is the lack of bluetooth. Obviously I don't blame B&N for leaving it out though because it's utterly unnecessary for an e-reader and light-weight Web browser. Still, bluetooth would've been great for adding a keyboard or headphones/speakers, or for tethering to a 3G-capable phone. Ah well.

I can't agree on the Web browsing being "painful" though (for the most part). It's at least as fast as the iPhone 3GS (over wifi), and despite the Nook Color's far clunkier UI and glitchy text input, for pure couch surfing I far prefer the Nook Color because of the extra screen real estate.

Having said that, I agree that comparing the Nook Color to an iPad (or Galaxy Tab) is apples and oranges. It's almost as pointless as trying to "decide" between an iPad and a Macbook. If you need to commute 30 miles to work every morning, you don't buy a bicycle expecting it'll give you the same utility as a car. And then when it doesn't, blame the bicycle for being a bicycle, instead of giving you the car-like utility (at a fraction of the cost) that you wanted. (This isn't directed at anyone here btw, just some rumination based on lots of things I've been reading lately.)

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

The fonts appear crisp and clear so that reviewer must have blurry vision.

I was thinking the same thing: this reviewer must be old, like Andy Rooney-old... Or maybe the reviewer is actually Andy Rooney himself.

Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy
0 Kudos

designdetails wrote:

I have been wanting an ipad until I took a look at the nook color.

Has anyone been sorry that they got the nook rather than an ipad?

I purchased an iPad in early November and I returned it within 24 hours of the purchase.

My main interest in iPad was as a primary reading device; an iPad can accomodate ebooks from all the different main ebook sellers.  However, I found it bulky and too heavy to the point it was uncomfortable to use.  My arms and wrists actually ached after reading on it for less than two hours.

I purchased Nook Color for use as a reader, I'm uninterested in "extras" such as web browsing, video, etc..  Nook Color has a clear, readable screen, a handy backlight, and weighs about a pound.  I find it much more handy as a reader than the iPad. 

New User
elizmellis
0 Kudos

Actually, I'm thinking of take my NOOKcolor back and buying an iPad.  I want something that will do it all and was hoping that the NOOKcolor would fit the bill.  I downloaded some videos m4v format, but NOOKcolor does not support this format although in their User's Guide it states that they do.  I don't have a calendar or easy access to my email.  I think iPad is the way to go.