Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tanya_wrght
0 Kudos

nook is crap

A kindle is a lot better than a nook. My girlfriend got the kindle and I got a nook. I should not have to wait a week for an ebook. I have never in my life heard so many excuses why this piece of crap doesn't work. I get a nook so I can download books in seconds and read it when ready. I love to read and it is a pain to go to the store and get 5 or 6 books at a time or order online and wait. I thought the nook was an answer to my prayers and now I find I was better off just going to the store. If you can't handle the overload of people ordering online then you need to update your program or get out of the race the kindle is better anyways. The excuse why the kindle is working better is because they didn't sell as many is just that; an excuse to cover your lack of a good program. I have a piece of crap that I need to trash and just order a kindle instead. I will tell anyone that the kindle downloads in seconds no matter if it is a busy time of the year or not. I ordered one book and it has been 3 days and I still have not got it. Your technical person tells me it might be a week or longer due to the overload of callers and orders. Kindle is doing just wonderful and if you are thinking of getting the nook DON'T!!!! Excuses don't fix a problem. I feel sorry for all the people that got the nook for Christmas because it may take them weeks before they can even use it.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: nook is crap

Buy a Kindle.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ tanya_wrght,

Okay.  If the kindle is "a lot better," go ahead, return the nook and buy the kindle.

Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the read.

I'm one of those who got a Nook for Christmas, you know the ones that you, "feel sorry for."  I've ordered 3 books (2 on the 26th, 1 on the 27th) and they all downloaded in seconds.  On the 28th I logged onto my library's website and checked out a book through there also.

The Nook is working flawlessly.  The funny thing is, I live on the east coast, right in the heart of the blizzard, and still have not had a single problem.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Gee, I've downloaded a purchased eBook during the holidays with no issue. Sounds like someone is having a tantrum. If you want a Kindle, buy one - and be locked into Amazon for your books. Forget library books, forget any website with epub eBooks.

Enjoy your Kindle.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

The kindle3 is the most sold product on amazon ever.  Over 8 million sold.

My patience wears thin for posts like this so I'll just say, return your nook and get a kindle.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Maybe your girlfriend actually bothered to READ THE MANUAL for her Kindle. We have 3 Nooks in our household and not a one of them has failed to download anything we ordered...

Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I've had a Nook since March and it works great.  I download books in seconds.

Sounds like you need to read the Manual before you use your Nook, or else you need to increase your IQ.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Why are you having problems that most people don't have?  Is it possible you haven't set it up correctly?

If you hate the Nook so much, return it and buy a Kindle.  Just don't expect to get any books from the public library.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith

I LOVE my nook.

I borrow ebooks from the library.

I get ebooks from many places besides B&N.

I don't care about speed of downloading, anything is still faster than driving 45 minutes to the nearest bookstore.

I have NEVER had a single problem with my nook in the year I have owned it and I use it several hours a day.

I like the design of the nook.  I don't want to read on something that looks like a giant calculator.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

asgalbraith wrote:

I like the design of the nook.  I don't want to read on something that looks like a giant calculator.

I seriously laughed out loud at this.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

We have three different Nooks in our household.  Books were downloaded on all over the holidays, each time without a hitch.  To say that the folks in this abode are "sold" on the Nook is an understatement.  These e-readers travel with us everywhere.

Go ahead; purchase a Kindle.  Then you can go have a tirade on their boards when you have technical troubles.

Correspondent
tmpage
0 Kudos

Then go buy a Kindle and go away. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you didn't like your NOOK.  I hope you and your Kindle will be very happy.

Now, I'm going to go curl up with a cup of coffee and read one of the four books I've bought since Christmas, or maybe one of the five library books I've got checked up out, or maybe I'll just go buy a new book.  Without ever disturbing my JRT who settles himself in my lap and "grumps" at me if I make  him move.  :smileysurprised:  (Hey, any time a JRT is still, you leave him lie.  :smileywink:)

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

The title of this thread should be "When short attention span meets desire for instant gratification". Troll on sister.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I am another person sold on my nook.  I got it for Christmas and have downloaded about 30 books and a magazine from the site.  It was a bit slow getting all the books yesterday but other than that no problem.  I have downloaded 3 books from the Sony store and 2 from my local library.  I LOVE my Nook!

Inspired Contributor
MrNook

@tanya_wright: Sorry to hear about your experience.  I can understand and appreciate your sense of frustration when your expectations on the technology have seemingly come apart at the seams and your friend's anecdotal experience is the antithesis of yours.  It is possible that you have a defective product which also happens with the Kindle, Kobe, Sony, iPad, iPhone, etc. and may have nothing to do with the any "overloaded servers" as you were told.  I have no idea why technical support is giving that type of information out since even if true that is usually a temporary situation and certainly not a week long issue.  However, you might want to visit a local Barnes & Noble store and ask to speak with the acknowledged "resident Nook expert troubleshooter" to help you out.

I've had a Nook for a year now and I went through all of the product's "growing pains" (from firmware v1.0 onward) and even with those expected issues I have not ever once experienced any issues that you have reported.  I know that doesn't address your problem and you may not give a hoot that me and hundreds of thousands...indeed millions now...of other Nook customers/users have no problems like you have had.

Some tips to try which you may have done already.

1) I would double check you BN.com account to make sure that you have a default credit card (or Visa/MasterCard debit card) tied to your account and that it is non-expired.  Also, you might want to clear your web browser's cache and history.  I don't believe that the Nook can make purchases without at least a valid card on file and set as a default payment regardless if you have gift cards assigned to the account.  Others on the forums may know more on this, but I believe that you can register the Nook with an active BN.com account that has no default payment card setup.

2) Do a "reset" of the device by holding the power button down for approx. 10 - 20 seconds until it fully turns off, etc.

3) Try using a solid Wi-Fi connection instead of relying only on the AT&T 3G craptastic data network when accessing your library, et al. with the Nook if you have the dual-band 3G/Wi-Fi version of the Nook.

Many of the other replies have stated to just go ahead and buy yourself a Kindle, but I believe that once you get these issues resolved with your Nook then you will be happier with the added flexibility of being able to not have a total vendor lock-in and will have access to libraries across the country for ePub books, etc.  Yes, the Kindle is a very good eReader and Amazon deserves some props, but it is hardly better than the Nook and the overall ecosystem of the Kindle being so much better compared to the Nook is subjective at best particularly once you consider the overall flexibility and capabilities of the Nook and the access to an actual physical bookstore experience with the device.

Best wishes.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

SO return it and buy a kindle. No reason to keep a device you dislike so much. Most of us on these boards are perfectly happy with our nooks. Download books in seconds from B&N, other E stores, several public libraries, etc. If this is not what you want, get a kindle and enjoy. 

Happy Holidays!

LisaB

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

asgalbraith wrote:

<snip>

That's it! I knew there was something about the look of the Kindle I found off putting. I have though all along the nook looked "cleaner". ANd, of course, I wanted to be able to use the public library, but the look was part of it too. ANd you nailed what it was!

LisaB

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

tanya_wrght wrote:

A kindle is a lot better than a nook. My girlfriend got the kindle and I got a nook. I should not have to wait a week for an ebook. I have never in my life heard so many excuses why this piece of crap doesn't work. I get a nook so I can download books in seconds and read it when ready. I love to read and it is a pain to go to the store and get 5 or 6 books at a time or order online and wait. I thought the nook was an answer to my prayers and now I find I was better off just going to the store. If you can't handle the overload of people ordering online then you need to update your program or get out of the race the kindle is better anyways. The excuse why the kindle is working better is because they didn't sell as many is just that; an excuse to cover your lack of a good program. I have a piece of crap that I need to trash and just order a kindle instead. I will tell anyone that the kindle downloads in seconds no matter if it is a busy time of the year or not. I ordered one book and it has been 3 days and I still have not got it. Your technical person tells me it might be a week or longer due to the overload of callers and orders. Kindle is doing just wonderful and if you are thinking of getting the nook DON'T!!!! Excuses don't fix a problem. I feel sorry for all the people that got the nook for Christmas because it may take them weeks before they can even use it.

Let's see...

• You join a Nook board, and your very first (surely the only) post is "nook is crap"
  • Your very first statement is that kindle is better than the nook
  • you seem to be insecure because your girlfriend is obviously smarter than you (she either bought the "right" device...or is just more capable of figuring things out....get over it...admit your woeful shortcomings and get a hobby

Oh, wait...you DO have a hobby: being a TROLL

Note to nook-ers: Don't feed the trolls!!

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]