Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
tpitre64
0 Kudos

Re: nook is crap

Ok, wise-guy, I did research before I bought the device. The sales person I spoke with assured me that it would support my text books...problem is it just won't support B&N's textbooks. It won't do me any good now to call the store and yell at someone who will only deny the conversation. It's beyond their 14 day return policy so I just get to deal with the waste of money.

Reader
Nick_Says
0 Kudos

So what if it's the most bought! That doesn't mean that it is better!

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

tpitre64 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I bought the nook so that I could put my etexts on it for school only to find out that i can't use the nook for text books but rather have to use nookstudy on my PC.

Even if the etexts did work on the nook, I think you would find it very difficult to read diagrams and figures on that small screen.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Yep, that is what you get.  Nowhere in any literature does it say that NOOK can read textbooks.

To be fair, they really shouldn't have named it "nookstudy" - it is easy to see how people would think that it would work on the nook.

Contributor
OneTimeUser
0 Kudos

The Nook is great to read books on; my problem is getting the thing to actually connect to my home WiFi so I can download books.  It connects at the B&N store and I can download while there; but that kind of defeats one of the purposes of the device, to be able to access and download books anywhere.  This is my second Nook; the first one had no problem using the exact same WiFi router I still have in the house; this one just won't.  It says it is connected to my WiFi and dutifully reports a correct IP address; but when I try to shop for new books it reports no connectivity.

Frequent Contributor
Nook_IPAD_Reader
0 Kudos

When I RESEARCHED prior to buying the nook for my daughter for Christmas I found that B&N was VERY upront about the PC Being needed for thr text books!  As a college student she reads plenty on top of her "for pleasure" reading.   But the cost of the text books to buy or rent do not compete with buying the book used and reslling it!

So I have to say your misleading the statement, fault is yours for not doing a "proper" job of researching that NOOK and what it could do or not do before buying!

I may be interested in purchasing your now USED Nook though!

By the way I probably read more than you and I am NOT a college student....And have the IPAD with 4 readers on it ad I like to try out lots of new things when reading!

Correspondent
Lugaid_Llyr
0 Kudos

tpitre64 wrote:

...students would be the best market for a device like the Nook, no one spends more on books or reads more than college students....   

Um, excuse me. And your research to back this up is where?

I have 2 kids in college and I still out read them and purchase more books (both in terms of titles and cost) than both of them combined.  When I was a college student we where taught not to make baseless assumptions or draw conclusions without assessing solid data. Apparently, you haven't gotten to that course yet.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. - Herbert George Wells
New User
Wo-ha-li
0 Kudos

Yep.  Ditto.  I have well over 200 ebooks on my Nook.  AND... also have, in addition to those books ebooks that I obtained elsewhere that I have downloaded to my Nook.  ..   ...  I love my Nook.   ..   For those few who have had problems...   The laws of probability dictate that for every several thousand items manufactured, there is likely to be a few of those items that do not measure up.  ... Give B&N a chance to make it right.   ...   I love my nook.   :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Bella_Reader
0 Kudos

you're crap. lol.

a little patience can go a long way.

New User
bmr999
0 Kudos

OK folks, stop being so hard on someone who's just blowing off a little steam. And I'm happy for all of you that have been reading-up-a-storm on your new Christmas toy. Meanwhile my 12 year old nephew has been playing Epic Mickey for 5 days because thats how long it took for his copy of "Hatchet" to download. It kinda sucks. And when I keep hearing about all the Kindle users who aren't having this problem... Yeah, yeah- the grass is always greener, I know.

But after they had this same problem last Christmas, you'd think we could expect them to have been better prepared.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

wayne123456 wrote:

Nookgarbage, Haven't been able to connect for days, tech support is horrible, waited on the phone 30 plus minutes to speak to someone that was clueless about the product.  

Have you posted your problem so that maybe someone can help you?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

bmr999 wrote:

OK folks, stop being so hard on someone who's just blowing off a little steam. And I'm happy for all of you that have been reading-up-a-storm on your new Christmas toy. Meanwhile my 12 year old nephew has been playing Epic Mickey for 5 days because thats how long it took for his copy of "Hatchet" to download. It kinda sucks. And when I keep hearing about all the Kindle users who aren't having this problem... Yeah, yeah- the grass is always greener, I know.

But after they had this same problem last Christmas, you'd think we could expect them to have been better prepared.

Yes, it does suck major, but that doesn't mean the device is crap.  I hope your nephew is up and running now.

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

I had the Kindle and sold it and got the Nook.  I couldn't stand the dark gray screen and all the buttons on the front that got in the way when trying to find a comfortable position to hold it to read.  There are plenty of other options to buy books from besides B&N and you can check out digital books from Overdrive and read them for free.  With the Kindle you are married to Amazon and can only buy from them and you can't check out books and read for free. 

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

@Ya_Ya: Oh, I know...I was just trying to be polite and make nice. :-)

I'm right there with you (and many others) on the love of the Nook, but I don't want to go over-the-top because the Kindle and other devices are nice, too, but personally I think people would be very foolish to go with a Kindle (or any other device) over a Nook.  I absolutely love my Nook and I read from it every day.  This past Christmas I spread the love and gave each of my parents one.  They RV full time so having an eReader like the Nook saves space, etc.

I've had mine for a year now and I plan on using it for many more.  Currently, I'm considering picking up a Nook Color for periodicals and technical books where graphics and images make a big difference, but for now I'm perfectly happy with the pure E-Ink model.

Reader 4
kinglouie
0 Kudos

I got my Nook for Christmas, and I will say I can understand the original poster's frustration at not being able to download a book until the 27th because the system just wan't working. I couldn't even log in to my account on the Barnes and Noble website. I did send an e-mail complaint, and have yet to hear back anything.

While I am now enjoying my Nook, I am annoyed at the amounts of typos I am getting in some books, I guess it's just going to have to get better in time.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

kinglouie wrote:

I got my Nook for Christmas, and I will say I can understand the original poster's frustration at not being able to download a book until the 27th because the system just wan't working. I couldn't even log in to my account on the Barnes and Noble website. I did send an e-mail complaint, and have yet to hear back anything.

While I am now enjoying my Nook, I am annoyed at the amounts of typos I am getting in some books, I guess it's just going to have to get better in time.

amount of typos

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

kinglouie wrote:

The typos are a publisher issue (problems with OCR and poor proofreading), not a nook issue.

One would think that the publishers would be interested in putting out a quality product...

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

MrNook,

Very good reply.  I am a new nook user.  I've only had my nookcolor since dec 25 2010.  I have purchased and/or downloaded 50 books in that time and have only had problems with 2 books, but everything was always ready to download within seconds of the transaction confirmation going through.  I'm pleased with my nookcolor and wouldn't think of switching to anything else.

Reader 4
kinglouie
0 Kudos

amount of typos

Thank you Mary Ann Webster.

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

This is another example of a device being smarter the a person. I did extensive reasearch before buying my Nook and found it better then the Kendell. My brother has a Kendell, why? Because his friends have one. If he thinks the Nook is crap he should have had one with V1.0.