Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
stoutzoo
0 Kudos

Re: nook is crap

I have had my nook for about 6 months. Three days after I bought it..it stopped working. Called the 1800 line and they were GREAT!  When it was decided I needed to exchange the nook for a new one I thought great, I will have to start all over with B&N. The nook people called me back in about 10 minutes and told me that THEY had called my B&N, explained the problems, told me the new one was at the counter and ready to be picked up...btw did I need directions to where it was at??? I swear if they could have gone and got it for me...they would have! At B&N we were met at the door, switched the data over in about 2 minutes and gave us free starbucks for our trouble.

Since then I have NOT had a single problem with mine and I LOVE it!!! My husband wants me to upgrade to the nookcolor but I am really happy with what I have now!

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've had a Nook Classic for a few weeks now and just bought a Nook Color yesterday. I'm very happy with both, btw, so your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot to me personally. Sorry.

Correspondent
bayboatin
0 Kudos

Wow  - what a tantrum.

I have purchased a half a dozen books (mostly freebies) over the past week and wow - there they were - ready to download. Not sure how much faster the system needs to be.

My Nook and I will be having our 1 year anniversary tomorrow and should he die - I would immediately purchase a replacement.

I'm sure you will be much happier with the Kindle.......

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

MrNook wrote:

Many of the other replies have stated to just go ahead and buy yourself a Kindle, but I believe that once you get these issues resolved with your Nook then you will be happier with the added flexibility of being able to not have a total vendor lock-in and will have access to libraries across the country for ePub books, etc. 

I think you're misreading at least some of the replies.

I truly believe my NOOK superior to Kindle, hence when asked which one I wanted I chose it.  I am extremely happy with my NOOK.  I think everyone deserves to be that happy with the things they own.  Clearly this poster believes that she will never be happy with NOOK but would with Kindle.  She should have a Kindle.  1)  She already knows she likes it and 2) people who are determined to be unhappy will not do any work to be happy and will remain miserable.

I think we all need to do what makes us happy - and for me that's reading my NOOK with a JRT in my lap.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

asgalbraith wrote:

II like the design of the nook.  I don't want to read on something that looks like a giant calculator.

You mean you don't want to look like a nerd? :smileysurprised:

Inspired Contributor
lazisusann
0 Kudos

Love My New NOOK!

My son received a KINDLE and I got a NookColor. We were together and downloaded books at the same time - his from Amazon, mine from BN.  It took the same amount of SECONDS to get our books. 

Now that's comparing "apples to apples."

"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." ~Lucille Ball~
Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@Ya_Ya:

No coffee or reading books until the bathroom is clean!  (With any luck, your plumbing problems and resulting messes are now resolved; Happy New Year!)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Brandie C, LOL!  The whole place is now clean.  I've scrubbed, mopped, vacuumed (I had such a bug up my butt once I got started that I even went and bought a new vacuum because ours was 10 years old and the dog hair had finally beaten it) and even done all the sheets from the beds as well.  I do have some laundry to fold - and chef coats soaking because he doesn't like his to go to the laundry service - but all of our plumbing works A-OK again.  :smileywink:

Happy New Year to you as well!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@ Ya_Ya:

Wow, your energy level today is amazing!  I don't suppose you live anywhere near Kennesaw, Georgia; I sure could use some help with the housework around here.:smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

@ Ya_Ya:

Wow, your energy level today is amazing!  I don't suppose you live anywhere near Kennesaw, Georgia; I sure could use some help with the housework around here.:smileywink:

And after she is done with your place, send her about 15 minutes down the interstate to me!  :smileyhappy:

Reader 2
wayne123456
0 Kudos

Just give it a little time and your opinion will change....

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

To be fair, I went to my local B&N on the 26th to see what the specials were on my nook.  I was able to connect to their network, but couldn't actually browse for anything.  Thought maybe it was a problem with their network, so I connected to the store via 3G: same results.  I read later about issues with their store.  I'm guessing our thread starting friend may have had some similar issues.  I can understand that things like this are frustrating, but it wouldn't be the first time a web site went down because they didn't expect an overload.  I've had my nook for over a year now, so I've had all the growing pains that went with it.

I'm not really sure where this rant was going, other than to say get over it: it's not worth the aggravation.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MegSLP wrote:

BrandieC wrote:

@ Ya_Ya:

And after she is done with your place, send her about 15 minutes down the interstate to me!  :smileyhappy:

I'm way, way, way too far North unfortunately.  I'm a Yankee.  Heck, when we lived in the South I was still too far North - we were only as far South as Raleigh, NC.

Actually, this is just what happens when a 30-something, childless woman used to working 65+ hours a week has been unemployed for 6 months.  :smileytongue:

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Love how the OP of threads like this never come back. They post one time and thats it. Good luck with your Kindle Tanya if you ever read this. Which I am sure you wont.lol

New User
tpitre64
0 Kudos

I couldn't agree more. I bought the nook so that I could put my etexts on it for school only to find out that i can't use the nook for text books but rather have to use nookstudy on my PC. The point in purchasing the nook was because of the visual fatigue that comes with staring at a computer screen. I really couldn't care less about the "tools" that are available through NookStudy. I just want the ease and portability of my texts without a 60 pound backpack. What a crock. This was a waste of money and unfortunately I found out too late that this won't work for what I need. Can't return it so I am stuck with a worthless piece of equipment that I wasted good money on. I can guarantee you that I will not spend another dime through B&N, not that my money will make or break a company of this magnitude but on principal.

One would think that the marketing personnel of this conglomerate would realize that students would be the best market for a device like the Nook, no one spends more on books or reads more than college students. HELLO, IS and Marketing personnel, get a clue, focus on the market share that will provide you with the most return on your investment. I have never been more disappointed in anything than I am this device. What a failure on B&N's end. Your information should have been more clear from the get go to make it clear that the Nook reader will not support nookstudy ebooks...silly me, I thought since the concept was the same it was a no-brainer. That's what I get for assuming!!  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

tpitre64 wrote:

Your information should have been more clear from the get go to make it clear that the Nook reader will not support nookstudy ebooks...silly me, I thought since the concept was the same it was a no-brainer. That's what I get for assuming!!  

Yep, that is what you get.  Nowhere in any literature does it say that NOOK can read textbooks.

If you're a Math or Science major, I can't imagine you even wanting to think about using NOOK for texts.  Sure, I'd have loved to not have to lug around the Advanced Calc text, the OChem texts, but no way would I have wanted to try to study those classes with books I couldn't write in.

It might have been okay for my Lit (Minor) texts since those were mostly novels, but I took way more notes in them than I would have wanted to try to take on an ereader.  Of course I was in college so long ago, we didn't have ereaders.  We didn't take laptops to class.  Hell most of us didn't even have laptops; we just had desktops.

Put it on craigslist.  I imagine you'll get 75% of what you spent.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

tpitre64 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. I bought the nook so that I could put my etexts on it for school only to find out that i can't use the nook for text books but rather have to use nookstudy on my PC.  

Maybe you ought to do some research before you buy something.
I think I'll buy myself a Nissan Versa.  Hey, it won't pull my boat trailer.  !@#$% Nissan!!!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

Maybe you ought to do some research before you buy something.
I think I'll buy myself a Nissan Versa.  Hey, it won't pull my boat trailer.  !@#$% Nissan!!!

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
New User
tpitre64
0 Kudos

@YA_Ya,

I admit I should not have assumed that nooketexts would work with the Nook ereader, I mean silly me for thinking that because they share a common name that the materials should be compatable. The long and short of it is that B&N needed to be more forthcoming about the shortfalls of the devices. I can purchase some texts through other vendors as PDF's and they function just fine but to find out that the books that they have formatted specifically for e-reading is unthinkable. As a student - not studying courses that require a hardcopy text (i.e. sciences or mathematics) but rather the social sciences where texts tend to run 400-800 pages of nothing but written material (little to no graphics) this format is the best set up possible. My undergraduate degree was earned with every textbook in e-book format so this is nothing new to me, the e-reader offered the ability to read without the glare and misery of the computer screen. I am in a different program working on my Master's and there are fewer e-texts available but for those that are it sure would be nice to have the portability of the device that I anticipated to change the landscape of textbook hell! (and my frustration in these posts is fueled by the fact that I just wasted more than an hour on the phone with tech support for an answer that should have been much more easily tracked down than it was).

Reader 2
wayne123456
0 Kudos

Nookgarbage, Haven't been able to connect for days, tech support is horrible, waited on the phone 30 plus minutes to speak to someone that was clueless about the product.