Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
rallen
0 Kudos

pandigital questions

I recieved a Pandital ereader as a gift, but I am having trouble downloading ebooks from B&N. I set up my account, picked a couple of books,, and finally got them to my Pandigital but they won't open on the ereader with out giveing another CC# . I paid for them on my account.  I have literally spent hours trying to figure this out. Had I known it was this difficult I would have returned the gift unopened. And maybe save for a color Nook,.  Can some one help?

Thanks!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: pandigital questions

Call Barnes and Noble. It sounds like something on their end is messed up. You might be able to find answers to questions you have on the Mobileread forums, there is a forum for the Pandigital Novel on their site. www.mobileread.com 

rallen wrote:

I recieved a Pandital ereader as a gift, but I am having trouble downloading ebooks from B&N. I set up my account, picked a couple of books,, and finally got them to my Pandigital but they won't open on the ereader with out giveing another CC# . I paid for them on my account.  I have literally spent hours trying to figure this out. Had I known it was this difficult I would have returned the gift unopened. And maybe save for a color Nook,.  Can some one help?

Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The DRM (Digital Rights Management, or copy protection) on B&N e-books uses an encryption key that is generated by scrambling your name and your credit card number. Your Pandigital needs the name and default credit card number that were in effect when you downloaded your e-book in order to open the e-book. It's not going to charge that credit card. Notice that it's not asking for the expiration date.

The name and credit card number that you need to enter are shown on your B&N Library page (http://my.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/ebookslibrary.html), right under the big title letters "My NOOK Library". Of course, you'll need to enter the entire credit card number, where the Unlock Code there only show the last 4 digits.

I don't know anything about the Pandigital, but the NOOK stores the encryption key so you only have to enter the information once unless you change the name or credit card number.

Reader 4
dekay59
0 Kudos

My husband gave me a pandigital reader for my birthday the beginning of December. I have downloaded a number of books without a problem until Jan. 5th. Since then i have been unable to download any from B&N, I get a message that says "sorry, some problems happened". Also a number of the books that I purchased via credit card and an e-certificate on Dec. 30th still show that they have not been shipped, nor have they been charged to my credit card or e-certifate, even though I had downloaded all of them to my reader. I can update the New Releases and Best Sellers, but can't download books. I can surf the web so I know I am connected to my wi-fi. I hope this problem fixes itself soon.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

dekay59 wrote:

a number of the books that I purchased via credit card and an e-certificate on Dec. 30th still show that they have not been shipped, nor have they been charged to my credit card or e-certifate

These are the same thing. For e-books, "Not shipped" means "not yet billed".

B&N's billing system is running way behind because of the Christmas rush. They'll eventually get caught up.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

also, the toll-free number for the Pandigital is 1-800-715-5354

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Contributor
BookLoverRD
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

These are the same thing. For e-books, "Not shipped" means "not yet billed".

B&N's billing system is running way behind because of the Christmas rush. They'll eventually get caught up.

I have several books that have "Not Yet Shipped" as the order status, but they have already been charged against my gift cards and my default card since I went a little over what my gift cards would cover. I have downloaded them all and they all open just fine.

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To rallen:  Did you try entering your credit card when asked for?  It's not trying to charge you again.  It just needs to confirm that the person who is trying to read the book is indeed the same person who purchased the book.  And the way to do that is by verifying the credit card number.  (There are other ways they could do it, but they choose that method, of course, because it causes people the most angst and concern when they think they might be charged twice for the same book).  What puzzles me is that some books ask for confirmation while others don't?

I've noticed a lag between the purchase of ebooks and them being "shipped."  Even with free books, I'll select a book and download it right away.  Three or four days later, I'll receive a "Your item has been shipped!" email.  The system is still functioning as if for only regular books, so it behaves as if you had purchased a regular book, ie. "shipping" it out within 3-5 business days.  I find it amusing, but don't think it's a big deal.

New User
stretcho
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a pandigital through Barnes and Noble, I also downloaded ADE to my computer. It recognizes my ereader, I authorized them, and transfered the books over to my ereader. My problem is, when I unplug it from my computer and it restarts on it's own. And then I go to my library, there are no books there. I'm new at this. I don't have WI FI where I live, so I hook it to the computer to transfer, so far no luck as getting the books onto my ereader and I'm really getting frustrated. Can anyone help me??Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

stretcho wrote:

Hi, I have a pandigital through Barnes and Noble, I also downloaded ADE to my computer. It recognizes my ereader, I authorized them, and transfered the books over to my ereader. My problem is, when I unplug it from my computer and it restarts on it's own. And then I go to my library, there are no books there. I'm new at this. I don't have WI FI where I live, so I hook it to the computer to transfer, so far no luck as getting the books onto my ereader and I'm really getting frustrated. Can anyone help me??Thanks.

I don't have a pandigital so not sure how much help I can be, but I'll try.

1) On the NOOK there are two different libraries:

- My B&N Library holds books purchased from B&N and downloaded directly to the NOOK via the 3G or WiFi connection.

- My documents holds books side-loaded via ADE, Calibre, or just drag and drop from your computer.

Does the pandigital use the same arrangement? Perhaps you are looking in the wrong place.

2) ADE is only needed to authorize and load books that use Adobe's DRM scheme (Sony, Borders, Kobo, Overdrive Library, etc). Books purchased directly from B&N are authorized by entering the credit card information from the account when they were downloaded. Books without any DRM (Baen, Gutenberg, etc.) can just be copied directly from your computer with no authorization of any kind required.

3) When your eReader is connected to you computer, in ADE you should see multiple bookshelves. One for the library on your computer and another for your pandigital ereader. When you select the eReader shelf in ADE do you see your books listed? If so then the books are on your eReader and you are looking in the wrong place for them. If not then, in ADE, you need to drag them from your PC library shelf to your eReader library shelf.

I hope this is of some help.

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

I was told in another post that it is not possible to put B&N Nookbooks on any other ereader than the Nook... but it seems like this post is saying differently. Am I confused?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

williams52977 wrote:

I was told in another post that it is not possible to put B&N Nookbooks on any other ereader than the Nook... but it seems like this post is saying differently. Am I confused?

There are a handful of readers which will read NOOKbooks. The Pandigital is one of them.

Now that I think about it, it might be the only one that actually made it to market.

Contributor
williams52977
0 Kudos

Ah ok that makes sense, thanks for explaining.

It blows my mind how impossible it is to Google answers to what seems like simple questions such as these.... Just so much irrelevant information comes up.

Contributor
twilightreader
0 Kudos

I have a Pandigital Novel and it is set-up first and foremost to download NOOKbooks!  I have not had any trouble buying and downloading the books.  I know you can get other types of ebooks but I have not tried doing so.   Good Luck!!

New User
soniavillaram
0 Kudos

I too had this problem. What finally made it work was that I entered spaces when typing the credit card number. I never tried this before but I thought "Why not?", and sure enough it worked. Hope this helps you or anyone else out.

New User
pattilu
0 Kudos

I too am having problems with my pandigital novel,I bought a book fromB&n but after i downloaded it it asked for my cc name and number.I added just as I have on myaccount and it wont accept it.

New User
Erykah97
0 Kudos

I have the same issue. I spent hours trying different things and it won't work. Help
New User
Sundragon
0 Kudos

Has anyone gotten the error msg "sorry, some problems happened" on their Pandigital when trying to download a book?  This recently started.  I'm lost.

New User
memkat1234
0 Kudos

Mine is doing the same thing. I tried spaces in the cc# and it still didn't work. I am frustrated.
New User
memkat1234
0 Kudos

It didn't work for me.