New User
phd71
0 Kudos

project gutenberg

Can books from Project Gutenberg be loaded onto a Nook?  I know that the Kindle will accept them.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: project gutenberg

Hey there phd71.  Thank you for your question.  You will be able to read an eBook from Project Gutenberg as long as the file format is compatible with nook.  Acceptable file formats that Project Gutenberg uses would include PDF and PDB. 

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

phd71,

All the true ebook formats on Project Gutenberg are "experimental." The EPUB files will not open on the B&N reader, and I don't think they offer a PDB format. As Josh said, you can use the PDF files. For those books that are not available in PDF format (most aren't), you can download the HTML file and use a program like calibre (which is free) to convert these to PDB format. You can also convert them into PDF format if you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (which is not free, but you can download a free trial from adobe.com).

Inspired Correspondent
PC_FL
0 Kudos

Now I'm confused.  This is from the Q&A for the nook, on this website:

Q. What File Formats does nook support?

X Nook supports all eBooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers sold at Barnes & Noble.com. You can also load many other files, including MP3s and PDFs, as well as ePub and PDB files.

Now, I've been already downloading ePub files from Project Gutenberg and other sources, precisely because the FAQ Q&A above says the nook will accept ePub files.  I've been building a small library on my computer of ePub files to transfer to the nook when I receive it.  But you're saying ePub files will not open on the B&N reader.  Why won't they open on the nook, when it says above that nook supports ePub files?

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

The B&N reader software that's available currently for PCs, Macs, and various mobile devices doesn't support ePub files, I believe.  The nook will support the formats listed, and I expect that there will be an updated version of the current reader software available once the nook is released that will support those same formats.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

Sorry for the confusion!

Project Gutenberg states that "EPUB files are a new experimental feature (as of 2009-03-12). Some or all Project Gutenberg EPUB files may be buggy or may not work altogether." I believe this is the reason they will not work on the B&N Reader. All the ones I have downloaded and tried to open have not worked. Other EPUB files from an ebook store will work on nook, but because the Gutenberg ones are "experimental" they have not been working for me.

Inspired Correspondent
PC_FL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  The few ePub books I have downloaded from the Gutenberg Project I have looked at in Adobe Digital Editions (free, from Adobe), and I can see them fine.  A few page break and page skip issues, but it's all there. 

I found this on the FAQ section of the B&N ereader:

Can I read non-Barnes & Noble files or PC files with the Barnes & Noble eReader?

The Barnes & Noble eReader is built primarily to support eBook files sold at BN.com. These text files end in either .pdb or prc and have been specifically packaged for use on a handheld using the Barnes & Noble eReader.

But perhaps nook will read fiiles differently than the B&N ereader software.  After all, the description for the B&N ereader software doesn't mention ePub files, but the descriptions for nook do specifically mention ePub files.  Maybe they will work.  Maybe they won't.  I suppose we'll find out in 16 days.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

I've been browsing manybooks.net, and they have already converted many of the Project Gutenberg books into EPUB and PDB format. This way you won't have to convert anything, and so far I haven't seen a single error!

New User
Dakfu
0 Kudos

I just got my nook and I've had no problems reading ePUB files downloaded from gutenberg.

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

I've downloaded several epub files from Project Gutenberg. At first I sideloaded them directly onto my Nook. They opened without a problem but were difficult to read because there were no side margins. Now when I download from Gutenberg I use the free ebook program Calibre to format and add a bookcover to the file. Project Gutenberg was one of the reasons I bought the Nook as opposed to the Kindle and I've had great success using the site. I will try to answer any quesions you might have if there is anything in this post you don't understand.

Contributor
kabloink
0 Kudos

I also use Calibre to load the epub format books from Gutenberg on my Nook. I haven't run into any problems with them. I have not tried to load them directly.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

kabloink wrote:

I also use Calibre to load the epub format books from Gutenberg on my Nook. I haven't run into any problems with them. I have not tried to load them directly.

Why would you need Calibre for that?  Its already Epub, just drag and drop. 

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

I use calibre myself to load all my sideloaded documents.  It just keeps track of everything better and I don't like to rename files to be reader friendly.  So, my Gutenberg file names are often ########.epub which is pretty useless information.

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

There are sources for Project Gutenberg texts besides gutenberg.org - you can find the same editions at manybooks.net and feedbooks.com as well as several other sites. Often they use their own method for creating the ePub file, so you may have more luck with one than another. 

I haven't had any issues with the books that I got from manybooks.net apart from the cover graphic not matching the title, in one case. It was a piddly little minor issue. I wasn't going to stare at the cover very long, even if it did match.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dElaphant wrote:

There are sources for Project Gutenberg texts besides gutenberg.org - you can find the same editions at manybooks.net and feedbooks.com as well as several other sites. Often they use their own method for creating the ePub file, so you may have more luck with one than another. 

I haven't had any issues with the books that I got from manybooks.net apart from the cover graphic not matching the title, in one case. It was a piddly little minor issue. I wasn't going to stare at the cover very long, even if it did match.

You are better off getting all Project Gutenberg books directly form them.  That way you are sure to get the latest versions, the largest choice of formats, and of couse their complete list of titles.

I didn't see anyone in this thread mention that the B&N DESKTOP reader, as opposed to B&N PC Ereader, supports reading EPUB.  I believe it came out late November or early December.

New User
JerseyReader
0 Kudos

Sorry to restart this thread, but we just bought 2 nooks yesterday and would like to get some of their books onto our Nook.

How do we do that?

I can download them onto my Mac in epub format; what do I do then?  Can I upload them onto my B&N digital library such that I can get them on both nooks?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Watch this video from the nook Help and FAQ page:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195#vid2

You don't upload these, you SIDELOAD these.

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

JerseyReader wrote:

Sorry to restart this thread, but we just bought 2 nooks yesterday and would like to get some of their books onto our Nook.

How do we do that?

I can download them onto my Mac in epub format; what do I do then?  Can I upload them onto my B&N digital library such that I can get them on both nooks?

Since I need to use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) for library books it makes sense for me to use it for these types of books as well.  I don't know much about Calibre but here's how to do it with ADE on a PC.  First, obviously, download ADE...

1) Choose book at Project G. and select ePub format

2) SAVE file to ADE (remember what it's called as it's not usually book title - Leonardi Davinci's notebooks were labeled PB5000 for example)

3) Open ADE

4) In LIBRARY view, click drop down menu to ADD ITEM TO LIBRARY

5) Choose item you just saved and now want to add (PB5000, for example - at this point I rename file in my documents but full title appears in ADE whether you rename it or not)

6) Attach Nook to computer

7) ADE should detect Nook automatically and a nook icon will appear in the left sidebar.

8) DRAG and DROP (sideload) item to the nook. 

9)  You will find your title in your B&N documents.

I've downloaded many books from this site using ADE and ePub format and have no problems. Formatting has been clean and I've no issues whatsoever.

Perhaps someone else can describe Calibre to you.

Hope this helps! 

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Jodisims wrote:

But that is EXACTLY the wrong place for side loaded content.

Even B&N does not recommend using this method.  See the video posted above.

When a hammer is the only tool you know how to use you tend to look at every problem as if it were a nail.  

File manager that comes on your computer is all you need.

Calibre is far more complete.

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Jodisims wrote:

But that is EXACTLY the wrong place for side loaded content.

Even B&N does not recommend using this method.  See the video posted above.

When a hammer is the only tool you know how to use you tend to look at every problem as if it were a nail.  

File manager that comes on your computer is all you need.

Calibre is far more complete.

I'm not sure I understand what was so horribly wrong as the video clearly states that you sideload content into "my documents" which can then be found under "B&N docs".  I'm doing the same thing, just using ADE to do so. 
Be that as it may...I don't know much about Calibre so I concede to you that you are probably right.  You obviously feel very passionate about it so I'll give it a look.
down boy...

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide