Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

"Upgrade" incentive from B&N

B&N has announced a program, starting tomorrow (July 1), where if you just show them your current e-reader (apparently of any type) when buying a new NOOK (also apparently of any type), you'll get a free 2GB SD card loaded with 30 e-books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Re: "Upgrade" incentive from B&N

That would be great, except the "Offer applies to any other eReader brand." [emphasis added]

So, unless you have a Kindle, Sony, Kobo, etc., it looks like you're out of luck. If you are a NOOK loyalist and just want to upgrade from N1E to N2E, oh well, sorry. :smileyvery-happy:

I could be wrong, or B&N may change their mind, but that's how it reads to me.

Frequent Contributor
Blues_Harpist
0 Kudos

B&N sure has some odd ways of rewarding its customers.  I guess they go by the "owning our product is reward enough" philosophy.

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

That would be great, except the "Offer applies to any other eReader brand." [emphasis added]

So, unless you have a Kindle, Sony, Kobo, etc., it looks like you're out of luck. If you are a NOOK loyalist and just want to upgrade from N1E to N2E, oh well, sorry. :smileyvery-happy:

I guess a "solution" would be to borrow a Kindle/Sony/Kobo for a few hours...

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Blues_Harpist wrote:

B&N sure has some odd ways of rewarding its customers.  I guess they go by the "owning our product is reward enough" philosophy.

not to be too silly about it, but what companies do?  I just bought my dad a canon point and shoot camera for father's day.  When I went into Best Buy I didn't feel slighted because I personally have a 2 year old Canon and they didn;t give me any $ or sd cards. 

I own a dell laptop currently.  If I went to dell.com and ordered a laptop I would not get one cheaper than someone that was buying one for the 1st time.

Don;t get me wrong, I would LOVE if B&N gave this discount- my dad is thinking about getting my mom a new nook for her b-day.  he could take my ne1 and get this deal, I would LOVE if he could.  BUT I don't poo poo B&N because they are not and have a stance they have a strange way or rewarding customers when basically nobody else does the same either,.

B&N is trying their best to market and promote the nook.  as current nook owners it kind if is in our best intrest that they succeed

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RSC_Nook wrote:

I own a dell laptop currently.  If I went to dell.com and ordered a laptop I would not get one cheaper than someone that was buying one for the 1st time.

This is true, but you wouldn't pay more either.

The cell phone companies did this for a long time - they gave cheaper prices on new phones to new customers than they gave to customers whose contracts were up for renewal.  The thing was, at the time, you couldn't port your cell number across vendors.  You could leave and buy the same or a similar phone on another network but you'd have to get a new number, so people just sucked it up and paid more.  Once customers were given the ability to port numbers, policies started to change and now most US phone companies give new customers and renewing customers the same discounts.

One could suggest that B&N has locked customers into a format (via unique DRM) to keep them buying B&N product, which means they don't really need to provide the same discounts to existing customers to be able to keep them.  I don't really buy this as I can buy books from kobo and sony (and I do), which doesn't lock me to B&N.  But that doesn't mean B&N isn't using this logic and that's why existing nook customers don't get the trade-in discount.

Reader
tkchan007
0 Kudos

Wonder what are they going to do for those that just bought the Nook touch on its 1st day available from store.

I can bring in my other old eReader if they want, wonder will they honor it?  If not, I guess I can always returned the one I just bought and then buy a new one.

Contributor
Dranakin
0 Kudos

Clearly shows that B&N does not care about it's current customers. Canon, for example, has a great loyalty incentive program.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

You must BUY the new nook to get the reward, but who wants 30 free ebooks anyway?  They may be titles free already and now your SD slot is occupied.

Not to mention if they weren't free already, I'm sure many of us are "resourceful" enough to find other means of acquisition.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

mettleh3d wrote:

Not to mention if they weren't free already, I'm sure many of us are "resourceful" enough to find other means of acquisition.

Resourceful enough, probably.  Willing to steal someone else's hard work, not necessarily.

If you want a book and it's not free, buy it.  There's no excuse for theft, and downloading pirated copies from torrent sites is theft.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

tkchan007 wrote:

Wonder what are they going to do for those that just bought the Nook touch on its 1st day available from store.

I can bring in my other old eReader if they want, wonder will they honor it?  If not, I guess I can always returned the one I just bought and then buy a new one.

If you are within the 14 daqy return period, I am sure they will honor it (My nook3G went down in price right after Fathers Day last year and they honored the price drop, again within the 14 day window)

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Dranakin wrote:

Clearly shows that B&N does not care about it's current customers. Canon, for example, has a great loyalty incentive program.

can you expand?  I just bought a canon camera for my dad and I already have one.  what could I of gotten, you have peaked my interest

keriflur

RSC_Nook wrote:

Dranakin wrote:

can you expand?  I just bought a canon camera for my dad and I already have one.  what could I of gotten, you have peaked my interest

I often get emails from Canon with special promotions for Canon owners - discounts on new cameras or other equipment such as printers.  I don't think I've ever seen one for a discount on lenses (which is what I want to buy now that I have a camera), but they definitely do a lot of owner-only promo.

I *think* I opted into their special promotions when I registered my first DSLR.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

On the other hand, the press release http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/press_releases/2011_june_30_nook_challenge.html

states "Beginning July 1, bring any eReader into a Barnes & Noble bookstore to compare and upgrade to a NOOK device and receive an instant NOOK Book collection " -- it doesn't specify that it cannot be a NOOK.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Press releases are not legal documents.  The press release shows you how to obtain more information with a hyperlink.  That hyperlink show the discIaimer.   am sure the disclaimer is on all the advertising in the store just like it is on the web.

Fine print is a bear and rarely included in press releases.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

WAYYYY of topic I know, but I will say I do love canon cameras.... I think they overall are the best ones out there for normal consumers

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Blues_Harpist wrote:

They are trying to get people to switch brands.  They don't really need to court people who already own a NOOK, we already know it's a durned good reader!

Retail stores run promotions all the time, unfortunately some people lose out while others save.

In reply to the above quote:  I don't see this as rewarding it's customers, I see it as trying to earn new customers.  Two different things.  I dunno, I'm just babbling :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

mettleh3d wrote:

Resourceful enough, probably.  Willing to steal someone else's hard work, not necessarily.

If you want a book and it's not free, buy it.  There's no excuse for theft, and downloading pirated copies from torrent sites is theft.

A laurel to you, keriflur, for your reminder to stay honest, and pay people for their work!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Blues_Harpist wrote:

My cable company does this all the time.  New customers get free HBO or a discount on the phone service or some such thing.  They never offer it to me because I'm already a customer.  I see lots of ads for various services and products with discounts" for new customers only.  Not all that uncommon.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

Blues_Harpist wrote:

Who cares really? Its a cheap 2gb card with 30 public domain books on it. They are using it as an incentive for non NOOK owners to buy one. You already have plenty of incentives: Free book fridays, free reading in store etc. plus you have a whole slew of free books BN keeps on hand at all times. What more do you want?