Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
chrisdumler
0 Kudos

Re: "Upgrade" incentive from B&N

Keep in mind, however, companies are not really anything - it's just an entity, a tax distinction. Behind the entity are people. People making decisions. And they are just as capable of creating, enabling, and propelling movements as any other.

Ultimately moments like these - the "dark night of the soul" moments - occur when the people on the other side of the walls decide to hide behind the entity rather than acknowledge something more human outside those walls is occuring.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

chrisdumler wrote:

Keep in mind, however, companies are not really anything - it's just an entity, a tax distinction. Behind the entity are people. People making decisions. And they are just as capable of creating, enabling, and propelling movements as any other.

Yes, they are capable of these things, but if they're doing their jobs correctly, their primary goal, by far, is to make money.  This is the duty they have to their shareholders and to the company itself.

Contributor
chrisdumler
0 Kudos

if they're doing their jobs correctly, their primary goal, by far, is to make money.  

Absolutely. And the business that currently fails to ignore that their community is one of their most valuable assets (ie $$$) is basically irresponsible to their shareholders. This is played out over and over and you only have to look at some of the most successful and vocal companies to realize this. But, we know that. We see it everywhere already.

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Because I do not see it here:

If you want to get the N2E or NC and you show the N1E to get the microSD, yes, it does count.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

chrisdumler wrote:

It's rubbed me so wrong that I'm likely to jump to Amazon when they release their next reader. And that's sad for me to say because I've promoted the nook and B&N for a long time - fighting for the alternative to the kindle. But now.... I just don't know. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Feelings are rarely wrong.  If you feel this strongly, definitely jump ship.  Instead of being screwed by B&N you'll just be screwed by whomever you jump to.

I, personally, can't bring myself to be even annoyed, let alone angry, that B&N is attempting to draw new customers.  They're not taking anything away from me in the process - that would annoy me. 

This is not me being a member of "the cult."  I'm not bothered when Verizon offers new wireless or FiOs customers offers I can't take advantage of, when my hair salon offers a Groupon I can't buy - or could buy but not use - because it's for "new clients only" or when my gym runs special pricing only available to new members.  

I was happy with what I bought, when I bought it and (or was given when I received it) and future promotions don't affect me.  If I want an N2E enough, I'll buy one - whether or not I get free books on an SD card.

[And at least one employee has verified that you can show an N1E to receive this incentive on N2E.] 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

chrisdumler wrote:

It's rubbed me so wrong that I'm likely to jump to Amazon when they release their next reader. And that's sad for me to say because I've promoted the nook and B&N for a long time - fighting for the alternative to the kindle. But now.... I just don't know. Am I wrong to feel this way?

Feelings are rarely wrong.  If you feel this strongly, definitely jump ship.  Instead of being screwed by B&N you'll just be screwed by whomever you jump to.

I, personally, can't bring myself to be even annoyed, let alone angry, that B&N is attempting to draw new customers.  They're not taking anything away from me in the process - that would annoy me. 

This is not me being a member of "the cult."  I'm not bothered when Verizon offers new wireless or FiOs customers offers I can't take advantage of, when my hair salon offers a Groupon I can't buy - or could buy but not use - because it's for "new clients only" or when my gym runs special pricing only available to new members.  

Ya_Ya, I would certainly have to agree with this.  My cable company routinely offers deals to new customers, better pricing, free HBO for a year etc, that's not available to me as an existing customers.  Verizon, as you stated, and a whole slew of other companies that do this routinely.  They are trying to attract new customers.

Do I like it?  No.  Do I get upset about it?  Rarely and generally only when I'm already in a bad mood.

Do I think it's a good policy for companies to have?  No, not really when you can easily jump ship these days, but unfortunately, that's how businesses work these days and about the only thing you can do to fight it, is to jump ship, which may or may not be more trouble than it's worth.

I don't understand why folks are particularly annoyed with B&N about using this same strategy, unless of course they get annoyed with all the other companies they do business with that have the same policy.

Correspondent
kivvie

I was talking to someone about why I have a nook, and they explained to me that they wouldn't ever pay a company for a benefit and used the Barnes and Noble membership as an explanation. I continued the conversation to find that this individual pays for Amazon Prime, a Costco membership, as well as membership in several other companies.I no longer pay for the Barnes and Noble membership, since I get no value out of it. However, I do not vilify a company for offering "deals" to any kind of customer.

Honestly, I have gotten well over 100 free books (possibly more like 200) over the last year through different B&N promotions and Free Fridays. Do I need another 30? A person getting a new Nook has "lost" out on all the free books I have. I plan on going to my B&N later today and reading for free, having a drink and a free cookie. This is a current "perk" for a Nook customer.

Companies routinely offer new deals and offers. If you are going to be mad about it, stop buying anything since someday the price will go down, a better deal will be available.

I like my nook. I like it better than my dad's kindle that I got to set up and load for him. I like it better than my hairdresser's Sony ereader that I play with. I enjoy my product and feel it was a good investment -- that doesn't mean that I think  B&N is so amazing that I worship at the store. It just means that I feel the company offers a fine product that I am willing to tell others about -- much like my car, or my shampoo.

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

What we tend to forget is that B&N does and is rewarding its customers.

1) Coupons for in-store use for a free cookie or a cup of tea

2) A free book every Friday

3) The month-long giveaway of their "Classics Library"

I've not always been happy with how B&N has handled certain issues, but they have me for a long term customer and will always prefer them to Amazon (at least in the book department).

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

chrisdumler wrote:

This is classic failure on the part of B&N. Honestly, I'm a bit offended. You have to realize that you are all doing the company a favor by talking about their brand, discussing things together, and being loyal. This is valuable to a company. And you are doing it for free.

But promotions like this take advantage of your loyalty. They put you to the back in the hopes that a few new customers will somehow become loyal like you; the ones who make the nook community what it is. A person willing to turn in their kindle for a few ebooks is not a loyal customer - that's why they are turning in their kindle. B&N has made a conscious choice to take advantage of you for a short term bump. And, yeah, I'm a bit offended by that. It's an old way of marketing that B&N has not thought out very well. Rather than spend energy and resources to strengthen the existing community, they've decided to spend energy and resources trying to take from another community. It's foolish. And it's at your expense.

I think its a little overdramtic to feel this way. You are angyry because BN is offering a free sd card (worth a few bucks) to new customers but have totally failed to mention that BN gives you a constant stream of free books, weekly offers, coupons and free snacks etc. for being a NOOK owner. Again most of the books on that list are public domain or nothing special to start with. Sorry but to complain about not getting a cheap sd card with some unknown and PD books on it and wanting to jump ship because of it is a little extreme.

Contributor
chrisdumler
0 Kudos

I feel like there have been some decent points made here. I appreciate that.
Other points, however, not so much.

Anthony1970 wrote:

I think its a little overdramtic to feel this way. You are angyry because BN is offering a free sd card (worth a few bucks) to new customers but have totally failed to mention that BN gives you a constant stream of free books, weekly offers, coupons and free snacks etc. for being a NOOK owner. Again most of the books on that list are public domain or nothing special to start with. Sorry but to complain about not getting a cheap sd card with some unknown and PD books on it and wanting to jump ship because of it is a little extreme.

I think Anthony actually fails to see the point. I'm not upset about *what* is being given away. I'm upset about a company I want to be loyal to, but feel is not appreciating that. And in this case, that's represented by this promotion. Do other companies do this kind of thing? Of course they do. Am I loyal to them? Uh, no.

Ya Ya and Bklvr bring up cable companies. I don't know about you, but I have no loyalty to the cable/tv companies. You're the rare exception if you're not willing to jump off that boat. They do this kinda thing all the time. And I don't support them anymore. What will be the result? Who knows. I do know this, there's a growing movement of people "cutting the cord" and shifting to internet based viewing. And there are new businesses (Netflix, Hulu, Boxee, etc.) sprouting up with very vocal communities. And those communities are f'ing loyal to the core. So if you follow the white rabbit, I think you can guess how it parallels where we are in this situation. It's unsustainable.

But look, I'm not trying to convert your way of thinking. I understand that some of you don't have, or even want, that kind of relationship with the brands you spend money on. That's totally fine. But that's not how I do business anymore. And that's not how a lot of people do business any more. It's old. Outdated. Unsustainable. There are brands out there that appreciate you for being loyal. They communicate with you directly, they act on your feedback, and they recognize and incent you for the value associated with your loyalty and connection. They don't do that because they're softy-lovey-dovey. They do that because it translates into dollars. They do that because you do something for them. You talk about their brand and product, you have an insane amount of social reach over Twitter, FB, G+, NMSK, etc. You visit their store, bring friends, you're proud to show off the product, and you create loyal following and community. I'm not sure you realize how hard it is to build loyal customers. It's insanely hard, but it's made easier when people are doing what we're doing right here and right now.

So do I expect more from B&N. Yeah, I kinda do. Do I want to upgrade my nook? Yes. Do I want to love the bookstore more than I do now. Yes, yes. But do I feel like the community of customers here should be second thought to another brand's customers? No, I don't. Because let's face it, we're going to bring in new customers. We have more reach and we're in touch with the product more closely because we use it every friggin day.

Just something to think about. ; )

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
@ DeltaT - What SD card partitioning error?

Sorry, I meant the on-board memory partitioning, that other posters have said is causing them problems, and that may require the addition of an SD card to overcome.  Thank you for the correction.