Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
readLH
0 Kudos

"drenched" book

I went to continue reading my free ebook and when I opened it, it said it had been drenched. what does that mean?

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: "drenched" book

readLH wrote:

I went to continue reading my free ebook and when I opened it, it said it had been drenched. what does that mean?

You left your nook out in the rain ...

Wait, that's MacArthur Park ...

Never heard of that before. Are you sure it said drenched?

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Sorry, never had that happen to me nor heard of it happening to anyone.  Might want to give a call to tech support on this one unless someone else on the board is able to provide an answer.  You could always try the usual archive then unarchive and re-download to see if that resolves the issue.  Which book was it?  Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

I am completely lost by the question

so your NOOK (the device) is fine but the free eBook, when opening it to read, says on the screen instead "this book has been drenched" or something like that?

do other books work?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

This makes absolutely no sense unless you somehow figured out how to separate your e-book from your Nook and get it wet.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense unless you somehow figured out how to separate your e-book from your Nook and get it wet.

I would wait for it to dry out.:smileyhappy:

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

I hear that dry rice helps!

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

@readLH

Was the 'free' book a sample of the whole book?

I try samples from B&N of books I'm not sure if I'll like. When you get to the end of a sample it says [End of Sample] usually. If I like the book I buy it, if not no harm.

I do the same for my mom's Nook. So far she's liked everything I've found for her but wouldn't want her to feel bad if I chose wrong. She's still amazed that I can buy her the book from the Nook and don't have to go out to a store to buy it for her.

If it was actually a 'free' book where did you get it from? It might be a 'damaged' or incomplete download. In that case I'd delete it and try again. Hopefully it is not 'defective' or incomplete from wherever you got it from.

New User
readLH
0 Kudos

other books work just fine. The book is Maria Montessori's The absorbant Mind

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

readLH wrote:

other books work just fine. The book is Maria Montessori's The absorbant Mind

If you can't tell from the comments above we are 100% lost on what you are saying.

can you restate the issue in detail.  when you open the book it is simply saying 'drenched'?  can you read part of it? 

have you archived it and unarchived?  that might solve it

more details please, we have no clue exactly what issue you are having. 

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK for chuckles & grins - free book - downloaded - opened - the opening cover page reads:

"The Book Was Drenched"

Perhaps someone's warped sense of humor, the title is "The Absorbent Mind" - ergo one could conclude that the mind was "drenched" with information then absorbed the information... :smileysurprised:

All 216 pages are available - who knows why the opening cover/title page reads that way, but the book is all present and accounted for.

Personally I prefer Rudolph Steiner, Waldorf System - but Montesorri is better known.

Edit:  Can not resist - perhaps a colander would reduce (not totally abate) the flow of liquid....information.....:smileyhappy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

Perhaps someone's warped sense of humor

This is a scanned library book (Osmania University Library, Hyderabad). It appears that the original copy that was scanned may have suffered some mishaps, and was marked to prevent future borrowers from being blamed for the damage. A number of scanned titles from Osmania U have the same opening.

I'm not convinced that this title is legally distributed, but it'd take an expert in international copyright to determine that, and I'm not one.

GeneHunter
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I'm not convinced that this title is legally distributed, but it'd take an expert in international copyright to determine that, and I'm not one.

The book has a publication date of 1949 and would normally be under copyright protection, however I did not see a copyright notice in the book.  This one is for the copyright lawyers.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

GeneHunter wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

The book has a publication date of 1949 and would normally be under copyright protection, however I did not see a copyright notice in the book.  This one is for the copyright lawyers.

India might not have been copyrighting books back then.  They had just broken off from the British and had more important things to deal with.  Hell, it is 2011 and they still aren't really on top of copyright.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I don't quite understand what you mean?  Does the book read at all? 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Yes it reads - all pages are there, albeit not in the best of shape, from my very quick scan of the book, it appeared that the scanned copy was a little worse for wear.

The issues that Doug and others are now discussing are; is the release of this book as a free "book" (for want of a simple way to explain the issue) legal under copyright laws, then further complicating the matter is the fact that this is not an American publication, so is it legal under international/country of origin copyright laws.

The publication is recent enough (1949) that there is a question as to the legality to release the book in this fashion.

The answer from this corner is that I have no idea what the legal status of the book really is, and their consensus is that it would take an international copyright lawyer to determine that point.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
GeneHunter
0 Kudos

MegSLP wrote:

India might not have been copyrighting books back then.  They had just broken off from the British and had more important things to deal with.  Hell, it is 2011 and they still aren't really on top of copyright.

From copyright.gov.in

Prior to the Act of 1957, the Law of Copyrights in the country was governed by the Copyright Act of 1914. This Act was essentially the extension of the British Copyright Act, 1911 to India.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

GeneHunter wrote:

MegSLP wrote:

From copyright.gov.in

Prior to the Act of 1957, the Law of Copyrights in the country was governed by the Copyright Act of 1914. This Act was essentially the extension of the British Copyright Act, 1911 to India.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that there are bootleg copies of books, etc floating around.  If there is one thing that my time in India has taught me, it is that the cops turn an eye to just about everything over there. Corruption is huge. 

Frequent Contributor
Ben_Stuffing
0 Kudos

This is definitely a very unique problem...  I looked up the word "drenched" on dictionary.com.  The only thing I think could have happened to your book is that a computer virus got into it (highly unlikely because I don't think Nook can get viruses) or the book is unreadable, i.e. it is not in a format Nook can read.  Hope you can figure this out!  

Ben_Stuffing
http://incredesigns.blogspot.com/