Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

Re: "drenched" book

Other data in the book also indicates that the actual 1949 publication was labeled "Maria Montessori  Karachi  May 1949". 

Karachi was no longer apportioned to India, so just where do the rights fall?  Pakistan or the Dominion of Pakistan was formed in 1947, the actual Republic of Pakistan was not established until 1956.

The book is labeled from Osmania University, that however is in India?  So who do the rights fall to?

Maria Montessori was a Italian citizen - interred in India due to Italy's hostile participation in WWII.  Again, whose rights are they?  She lived out the rest of her life in the Netherlands.

International Copyright Attorney time, to many borders involved, along with  British influence/Laws that held over in the originating area of the publication, after that area's independence from Raj rule.  IMHO to convoluted to even begin to untangle, speculation is only a stab in the dark.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Ben_Stuffing wrote:

This is definitely a very unique problem...  I looked up the word "drenched" on dictionary.com.  The only thing I think could have happened to your book is that a computer virus got into it (highly unlikely because I don't think Nook can get viruses) or the book is unreadable, i.e. it is not in a format Nook can read.  Hope you can figure this out!  

Ben, you may have pointed out something here.

Perhaps we're attacking this problem from an intellectual standpoint when that isn't the case and we're missing the point altogether.

Maybe "drenched" is new-speak for a book that was, like dude, totally hosed when they tried to read it again. (Or some combination of generational popular phrasing -- that's really boss!).

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@DesertBrat

Being a horse person - we "drench" (purge with force, in one international English dictionary) a horse with medicine also known as commonly as "purging" to horse folks.  So the inference is that the book may have been scanned as it was being "purged" or in this case "drenched" from the University Library?

So, the phrase "hosed dude" may not be far from the truth  :smileyhappy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

Being a horse person - we "drench" (purge with force, in one international English dictionary) a horse with medicine also known as commonly as "purging" to horse folks.

Oh, poor horsie! Can't you just give it some prune juice or a little metamucil in the water tank?

Just kidding :smileyvery-happy:  My neighbor across the way raises horses.

Seriously, though, I have a hard time keeping up with youth vernacular. I ran into a friend's son in the store the other day. He was excitedly telling me about some new thing he'd just received for his birthday. I just sort of stood there and blankly looked at him.

Finally he looks at me and says, "What?" So I told him, "Tell me again ... only this time in English." So he starts laughing and says, "Sorry, I forget how old you are."

At this point, I'm thinking, do I haul off and smack this kid or just smile and nod my head. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

Tweedledee wrote:

Being a horse person - we "drench" (purge with force, in one international English dictionary) a horse with medicine also known as commonly as "purging" to horse folks.

Oh, poor horsie! Can't you just give it some prune juice or a little metamucil in the water tank?

Just kidding :smileyvery-happy:  My neighbor across the way raises horses.

Seriously, though, I have a hard time keeping up with youth vernacular. I ran into a friend's son in the store the other day. He was excitedly telling me about some new thing he'd just received for his birthday. I just sort of stood there and blankly looked at him.

Finally he looks at me and says, "What?" So I told him, "Tell me again ... only this time in English." So he starts laughing and says, "Sorry, I forget how old you are."

At this point, I'm thinking, do I haul off and smack this kid or just smile and nod my head. :smileyvery-happy:

Hope you smacked him.  :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Seriously, though, I have a hard time keeping up with youth vernacular.

Check out www.urbandictionary.com.  A lot of it you hope your child doesn't use, but I got a lot of information to clarify what friends were posting on my son's myspace account.

@ the OP - what does it do if you open it on a computer?  I don't know if I would, but that's a possibility.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@DesertBrat

A good smack on the back of the head, then:smileyhappy: a reminder that one day he would live to regret those words, age catches up with all of us  :smileyvery-happy:

Chuckle, the horsie was doing it's very best to try and trash me, :smileysurprised:, they got their licks in,  the medicine was not optional, this was the only way that the horsie would take the dose.  Horses are very discriminating in their tastes, getting something by them orally takes an act of congress and a full bottle of molasses, which often does not work.  Hey, you should go see the neighbor when the vet is there for a colic and uses the tube - called, "tubing", that is the essence of "hosed dude" to a horsie. 

Way OT, but the word does have some valid origins in drenched/purged in the vernacular of the day, so I can see where it would be interchangeable in certain circumstances.  JMO

Oh I opened it both ways - same thing different devices - Drenched  :smileyhappy:

Bertrand Russell
Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Ben_Stuffing wrote:

This is definitely a very unique problem...  I looked up the word "drenched" on dictionary.com.  The only thing I think could have happened to your book is that a computer virus got into it (highly unlikely because I don't think Nook can get viruses) or the book is unreadable, i.e. it is not in a format Nook can read.  Hope you can figure this out!  

You do bring up an interesting point...

Osmania University is in Andhra Pradesh where their language is Telugu.  While most of India does speak English (that's the result when you have 40 something national languages), I would think that the message would have been written in Telugu.

In addition, would the Indians be that familiar with American slang to write "drenched" in the book referring to water damage?  In my experience with Indians, they do not get our slang--they speak more of a British English than American English.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

Chuckle, the horsie was doing it's very best to try and trash me, :smileysurprised:, they got their licks in,  the medicine was not optional, this was the only way that the horsie would take the dose.

I remember an episode of M*A*S*H where they used the water tower to save Col. Potter's horse. I loved that show.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I'm curious where did you get this book from?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

@shadowcat80

Barnes & Noble - just do a search for "The Absorbent Mind", it is a free book and compiled from a series of lectures and teachings from Maria Montessori.

She developed the Montessori method of teaching - with this came the philosophy and methodology that this book partially sets forth.

As I indicated before this would not be my choice of educational programs - was educated in the Waldorf system and prefer the Waldorf system.  Very little structure, with commitment to live long learning.  There are other facets, but way OT.

Do  read it, there are some very controversial topics for the day (written/published 1949) and still ongoing yet today.  :smileyhappy:

Bertrand Russell