Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
rogue52r
0 Kudos

school books

Does Barnes and Noble have highschool textbooks to download into Nook?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Re: school books

B&N runs a separate e-textbook operation called NOOKstudy. The nature of textbooks makes them suck really badly on a small black-and-white screen. NOOKstudy runs on laptops where you've got a color screen with a decent size.

As for high schools, I suspect that only the most avant garde high schools will allow you to use a digital device in class. (But then, it's been many decades since I was in high school.)

New User
rogue52r
0 Kudos

would the new Nook/color be able to handle the textbook configurations? and also a big thanx for the information you are a great help.  i have a son that is interested in the Nook and his high school doesnt mind him having one in the class room.  it is also easier on the shoulders and the whole backpack thing.

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

Almost all high school textbook companies offer a digital version of their textbooks. HOWEVER, most of these are accessible via the internet. I don't know of ANY company that is giving EPUB/pdf files of their books.

I would assume that as ereaders, particularily color ones, become more popular, this might change. As a high school teacher, I would love for students to be able to respond to books/stories via interactive text items. I can imagine having students read pages 102-105 and the "book" having popup questions about items. It certainly could make some reading comprehension gains if students start being questioned as they read -- students would see a direct correlation between more active reading and greater achievement.

I must be at an avant garde high school. I allow my students to use devices in the classroom. A couple students are currently reading The Iliad on their Ipads/phones (since I told them about it being FREE with the summer books). Of course I also have students use their phones and do podcasts, participate in polls, and other techy things. Heaven help the child whose phone rings in class though ... the caller gets to talk to ME!

Frequent Contributor
Rich_BN
0 Kudos

rogue52r wrote:

...interested in the Nook and his high school doesnt mind him having one in the class room.

Kids still have to go to a school to learn? What is this 1911?

lol