Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

side loading directly to nook simple touch

It would be nice if we could side load directly to the nook without a computer. I have gotten as far as using the browser and actually downloading a few books from manybooks.net. Apparently the get loaded to some special cache called downloads, which I can see only from the browser. However when I click on them there it says "no application can be found to open the file:. So far I can't figure out how to do anthing else  except  removing them all by hitting the clear list button. Anybody get any further?

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: side loading directly to nook simple touch

MacFlash wrote:

It would be nice if we could side load directly to the nook without a computer. I have gotten as far as using the browser and actually downloading a few books from manybooks.net. Apparently the get loaded to some special cache called downloads, which I can see only from the browser. However when I click on them there it says "no application can be found to open the file:. So far I can't figure out how to do anthing else  except  removing them all by hitting the clear list button. Anybody get any further?

Sideloading is the process of coping files from one drive to another it can only be done from a computer. What you want is to be able to download directly to the Nook. That is not the same thing. you need to copy the files from the my stuff folder to the my documents folder on the Nook. 

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Sorry for the misuse of terminology. Unfortuantely there appears to be no "my stuff" folder on the simple touch. The only time I can see the downloads is directly from the browser, where you can see "downloads" and the only choices you have are to open or remove from list. Maybe this will get enhanced in future versions of firmware.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I highly, highly doubt it as as far as B&N is concerned, N2E doesn't even have a web browser.

And not only does it "not have" a browser, it doesn't have one because B&N made the decision to remove hide it.  Android 2.1 has a servicable native browser; B&N would have made no modifications to it if they'd wanted a browser in their SIMPLE Touch READER.  Instead, they hid it. 

I doubt web browsing will ever be enhanced on this device, and I'd be shocked if the stock N2E allowed downloading/installing/reading books from any non bn.com website.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MacFlash wrote:

Sorry for the misuse of terminology. Unfortuantely there appears to be no "my stuff" folder on the simple touch. The only time I can see the downloads is directly from the browser, where you can see "downloads" and the only choices you have are to open or remove from list. Maybe this will get enhanced in future versions of firmware.

You will need to find on your computer where the file was downloaded to and you will need to copy it to the folder on the simple touch that is for sideloaded content. The files need to be in epub format. 

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

The feature I would like to see, call it what you like, is to be able to directly download and read books without the use of a computer. I have downloaded them directly from manybooks.net to the nook without the use of my computer by using the built in browser, as I said. The question is how to get them in a readable state. Obviously they are not on my computer, since they were downloaded directly to the nook. If I plug the nook into the computer the downloaded files are not displayed, just as the B&N books are not displayed. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MacFlash wrote:

The feature I would like to see, call it what you like, is to be able to directly download and read books without the use of a computer. I have downloaded them directly from manybooks.net to the nook without the use of my computer by using the built in browser, as I said. The question is how to get them in a readable state. Obviously they are not on my computer, since they were downloaded directly to the nook. If I plug the nook into the computer the downloaded files are not displayed, just as the B&N books are not displayed. 

That won't work on the simple touch that is why you can't find it. The simple touch has two partitions one which has all the downloaded content from B&N and is hidden. the other for side loaded content should be visible. The only way to access the content on the hidden partition is to root the device. You would still have to use a computer to see them.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What Mac seems to be looking for is a way of moving the files from the directory that Android uses when it downloads files to the appropriate documents directory.

Theoretically, that should work as long as the file was correctly named.

The problem is that there is no utility on the Nook to do that.  What he is looking for is such a utility.  I can imagine that it might be possible to do it with a java applet and the built in browser - And YES, the Nook does have a browser built in.  There have been post here about how to access it, but it can be a really unfriendly bear to use.  And yes, the Nook does Java.

Just took a look at my android phone and the directory is called "download/" on one of the file systems.  Which it will be on the Nook, I do not know.  It is most likely hidden.  Searching for "download/*" or "/download/*" turned up nothing.  

If you want to gamble, Mac, try getting something like the ESFileExplorer app to run on the Nook.  I say "gamble" as you are moving into modifying the supported software load on the device and it could have nasty, i.e., warrenty voiding, cosequences.  This is the point at which you will want to wander offsite and start looking, and understanding!, the content of sites that specialize in rooting the Nook.  A possibly odd term to you, but if you do not wish to make the effort to find out what it means it is time to stop.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@apetit, I understand that there is a browser.  

My point was that I doubt that B&N is ever going to do such a thing with N2E.

First, they pretend there is no browser.  They hid it.  If you ask them, they say there is no browser.  Why would they add a utility to enhance the browser's usefulness - by allowing it to install downloaded documents, when they deny its very existence?!?  B&N's more likely response would be to update N2E's software so that it is unable to download.  (N1E can't, even though it officially does have a browser.)

I think it's a reasonable thing for a customer to want.  I don't think there's a snowball's chance in "that place" of B&N providing it.  I imagine the hacking community already has, though.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit

(Oh, oh, "They," "them," the conspiracy emerges... :smileysurprised:)

I was a bit empathetic on that point as I have run across postings going both ways on this issue.

I agree that it is unlikely for Them :smileyhappy: to add this feature as, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it is not a business driver for Them...

I also agree that some hack site has probably done it and wanted to get the OP to go there with his eyes somewhat open.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

The responsibility for making that work right would have to lie with the source of the books, in this case Manybooks.net, not the recever, the N2E.

If Manybooks would allow you to specify the destination directory as your Nook volume, Myfiles, Books, they could just put epub file there.

But with so many, and multiplying, sources and receivers for ebooks, it is simply impractical for any company to keep up with all combinations.  For now, having the computer as the middle man is the best solution.  It also protects the source vendor from having the receiver vendor suddenly cut them off to boost their own sales.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

So I took a look at the Manybooks site and it appears their content is all public domain books.  You can download the same books for free through B&N.

So while I agree that being able to download books from other sites directly to the nook in a readable format would be really nice, I don't see the need for it in this particular situation.  Just download the free book from B&N instead of Manybooks and start reading. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

I used manybooks.net to see it were possible. Obviously there are other sites where people want to download books to there Nook besides that. However, not all books that are available at no cost on maybooks are free by B&N. For instance Philip K. Dick's "The Variable Man"  costs 99 cents and up on B&N. I am sure there are other examples.

In any case, in the long run, if B&N is purposely making it more difficult to download from other sites, in the long run it will only hurt them.  Competitors will come out with e-readers that are more flexible. We shall see.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

MacFlash wrote:

In any case, in the long run, if B&N is purposely making it more difficult to download from other sites, in the long run it will only hurt them.  Competitors will come out with e-readers that are more flexible. We shall see.

And we can all see how that hurt Amazon and Apple.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Amazon once had 90% of  the e-reader market. They now have 55%. One of the big reasons is their proprietary format.  Apple drove down the price of music, not up. We shall see what happens to them in the e-reader market.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

MacFlash wrote:

Amazon once had 90% of  the e-reader market. They now have 55%. One of the big reasons is their proprietary format.  Apple drove down the price of music, not up. We shall see what happens to them in the e-reader market.

We have seen.  Apple has purposely driven the prices up.  Do a search for "Agency Model" on the forums for details.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit

- sigh - Mac, not to be rude, but a version of this argument has already been played out here in the last few weeks.  To summarize:  Apple, Amazon, B&N, Borders, et. al., have tried to protect their profits by pricing things in a manner that will get them customers;  They are each attempting to capture the lion's share of their intended market; They have produced works of varing quality that are not necessairally compatible with competitors readers;  Books do cost money to produce even if they are digitally formatted for the people reading them.

Just because an ebook is free at one place does not mean it is of the same quality as one that costs .99 or one that costs 6.99 or even 9.99.  It is most likely that the free one is of lesser quality.  Download a few of them and see.  Expect to get quality comparable to what you paid.

Gutenberg is one of the better places to find free works done with attention to quality.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

I did not say they are the same quality, nor that they are identical. Somebody said  what was the point of getting all the public domain books free from manybooks, when the identical books were free at B&N? I gave a counter example.

This is really all beside the point. What I asked was is it possible to directly download to the Nook from other sites. The answer is not now. I understand some people think it is because B&N is trying to protect their profits. I don't claim to know the answer, but I can assure you that there will be comparable readers that will be able to do this and also read B&N books. Given that hackers can already root a Nook and read almost any format with it,  don't you think this is coming? Give the market a little time to mature and you will see this. When it does B&N will have a hard time selling their hardware if they make it inflexible.

As for making profits, it is the publishers that are running scared and setting the prices. They are afraid that their businesses will follow that of the music industry, and I believe their fears are correct. I do not claim to know whether that is good or bad.