Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nyboyz
0 Kudos

update nook with new software

Have downloaded the new 1.5 software to nook. How do I update actual device? i have the message that new software update on Nook.

New User
RussR
0 Kudos

Re: update nook with new software

I went into My Library on the Nook and selected "Check for new B&N Content".  The update downloaded and installed itself.  Only took about 5 minutes, I think.

-Russ

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

[ Edited ]

If you don't have access to WiFi:

Manual Download Instructions

1. Tap Settings on your NOOK's Home menu and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.

2. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" image on your NOOK screen.

3. Click the link above to download and save the software update to your computer. Please remember where you save this file on your computer.

4. Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.

9. Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Customer Service NOOK support at 1-800-843-2665.

New User
mcp16
0 Kudos

how do you do the update on 1st edition wifi?

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

mcp16 wrote:

how do you do the update on 1st edition wifi?

Leave it on and connected to a wireless access point (sometimes called a hot spot) for a while. It should update to the version 1.7 firmware automaticly.

Frequent Contributor
ankala
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Very glad this thread is still available. My 1st edition suddenly shut down, then upon being charged, reset itself from 1.7 to 1.4.2! And, it made me reregister, reload my wifi router and had issues downloading my library and it could not download its own software update. I had to reload 1.7 manually. Thank you, cbtengr, for the checklist!
Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

I figured out that once the First Edition resets to 1.4.2, the download of the update fails because it is looking for the 1.5 update which is no longer available. You can and should manually update to 1.7.