Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JamieB63
0 Kudos

warranty.....please help

would like some input per the warranty options....

my daughter is about to pick up my Nook Color --

I've been told by a BN rep that they offer a 2year extended warranty, for ~$50..... so , , does that mean 2 years from today, which in essence is only a 1 yr extension, since manufacturer's warranty is 1 year as well.........or is it an additional 2 years once the original warranty expires?

what does anyone know about Square Trade?  pricing, reliability, terms?

thanks........ my Nook will be from "Santa". .   so, I'll have to practice patience......!!

Jamie

Frequent Contributor
pennicat

Re: warranty.....please help

Much less expensive through Square Trade, and they have a good reputation.  And yes, the B&N plan is just a 1 year extension, but it adds accidentally damage coverage to the initial year, which you do not get otherwise.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Not quite true, just to clarify.  Squaretrade will also cover accidental damage for the first year you own the product.

Here's the quote from ST:

"If your warranty is bought on the same day as your item, then ADH coverage begins immediately, otherwise ADH coverage begins 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage, negligent use, theft or loss. A $50 deductible applies on ADH-related claims for Cell Phones only. SquareTrade has waived the deductible for all other ADH claims. ADH is not available on all items."

I purchase the ADH coverage for everything, just in case.  Also, you can always find coupon codes or sign up for Squaretrade's emails or check them out on Twitter or Facebook and you can get up to 40% off-usually 30% or 20%.  And sometimes you can call them and ask for the deal price.  For my NOOKcolor I got the 40% off special and it covers 3 years with ADH for $29.99.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26
0 Kudos

When I was talking with a Square Trade rep about a warranty for my new Nook, he specifically said that their warranty would start after the manufacturer warranty ran out (after the first year). I specifically asked about the damage protection for the first year and was told it did not apply until year two. I didn't buy the warranty. Evidently there's some confusion there about what their warranty actually covers.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Rockethead26 wrote:

When I was talking with a Square Trade rep about a warranty for my new Nook, he specifically said that their warranty would start after the manufacturer warranty ran out (after the first year). I specifically asked about the damage protection for the first year and was told it did not apply until year two. I didn't buy the warranty. Evidently there's some confusion there about what their warranty actually covers.

Apparently the person you talked to is wrong. Square Trades warranty covers accidental damage from the day of purchase or from 30 days after purchase. You should have read the accual warranty

Frequent Contributor
bic101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And I was told you are only allowed one claim per year. In any case, call your credit card company: most will cover accidental damage and theft for 90 days (no deductible, no charge for coverage) and will extend your warranty up to one year to match the original warranty. Again,no deductible, no charge, assuming you used their credit card to purchase it. Give them a call and see you have this coverage and what the details are. 

Rarely, do you need extended warranties on most products. Save your money.

update: from Square Trade: For replacement payments: You are covered up to the maximum value you paid for the item. Once we pay out that amount, your Care Plan is considered fulfilled. If you would like coverage on your new item, you need to purchase a new warranty for it.

Frequent Contributor
pennicat
0 Kudos

I was saying that the B&N regular (not extended) warranty does not cover accidentally damage.  , while the extended one (or Square Trade one) does cover this.  Sorry I was not clear about that.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

From what I learned, when I get my Nookcolor, I will be opting for the BN extended warranty.

When I spoke with Square Trade, I learned that if something were to happen to my Nookcolor that I would sent it in to them, they have a third party look at the item and decide whether they are going to fix it or not.  If they opt not to fix it they send you a check for your purchase price.

BN CS told me that if something were to happen, they replace the device and then refurbish your old one.  

I like the BN option better as I have also heard on these boards that they ship you another device and then you send yours in and the fact that they are the ones looking at your device.

Zola

Frequent Contributor
pennicat
0 Kudos

FYI - Barnes and Noble will most likely send a refurbished unit for a warranty replacement.  With SquareTrade, if they opt to send you a check instead of fixing, you can buy a newer upgraded device if one has come out meanwhile.  I'd rather have that option.

Frequent Contributor
JamieB63
0 Kudos

I went ahead and purchased the Square Trade warranty, which does cover for spills/accidents according to the website..... also located a coupon for the warranty, so ended up paying $30 for 3years coverage......  good deal to me.......  thanks.

Frequent Contributor
bic101
0 Kudos

JamieB63 wrote:

I went ahead and purchased the Square Trade warranty, which does cover for spills/accidents according to the website..... also located a coupon for the warranty, so ended up paying $30 for 3years coverage......  good deal to me.......  thanks.

Yes, but if you get a full replacement check from ST, your warranty is done and you have to buy a new warranty. It's only good for one-time full replacement cost, or multiple times up to the original cost. So if it's stolen or accidentally damaged, say after 3 weeks of ownership, and you get a check for a new one, you have to buy another warranty.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bic101 wrote:

JamieB63 wrote:

Yes, but if you get a full replacement check from ST, your warranty is done and you have to buy a new warranty. It's only good for one-time full replacement cost, or multiple times up to the original cost. So if it's stolen or accidentally damaged, say after 3 weeks of ownership, and you get a check for a new one, you have to buy another warranty.

I am not sure I understand your point here.  This is the way extended warranties work.  They are basically covering the one device you bought up to the point where you get money equal to its cost.  And you are not buying insurance against loss or theft, it is a warranty for a damaged device.

It only makes sense that if you received payment up to the full replacement cost of the item, the warranty has fulfilled its promise.  No company is going to keep paying and paying after full cost has been paid out.  BN's works the same way.

The way it works is that for 1 year BN covers defects.  If it is defective, call BN customer service for a return.  After the year is up, the Squaretrade warranty kicks in for an additional 2 years.  If you get a Squaretrade ADH warranty on top of that, it covers the unit for the first year and for 2 more years for any accidental damage.   

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
khillRI
0 Kudos

I looked into this myself, and decided against Square Trade because they don't cover problems that are software related, only hardware issues. Apparently, the techs who answer the phones ask you questions to determine whether your problem is related to hardware or software. If they decide it's a software malfunction, you're out of luck. For example, a bad download of a software update will sometimes mess up a nook, and the B&N plan would cover a replacement; from my conversation with the Square Trade rep on the phone, their plan would not cover such a situation.

In my experience as both a nook owner (3G and nookColor) and nook seller (I work for B&N, in the interest of full disclosure), the store protection plan is more seamless and inclusive. Generally, they want you to be happy and buying eBooks, so they've been pretty liberal about replacing nooks disabled for any reason, either through the mail or by swapping out units in the store. Even though the B&N coverage is more expensive, I sprang for it, preferring to deal with a company that's familiar with the product, rather than a third party making judgments by reading the manual. Just my 2 cents.