Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
SLP309
0 Kudos

what's in a name?

curious as to why the nook is called "nook"?  and why is the amazon kindle called "kindle"?

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Re: what's in a name?

[ Edited ]

For what it's worth . . .

http://www.teleread.com/2009/10/23/why-bn-called-it-the-nook-maybe-just-because-theyre-dr-seuss-fans...

Not being a Seussologist, I'll just take Merrigan's word for it.

:smileyhappy:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Contributor
SLP309
0 Kudos

thanks.....that was a funny read!:smileyhappy:  wonder what the other names were the employees had to choose from?

"kindle" just reminds me of something to start a fire.  lol

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

i think they called it a  nook, because (at least when i was young) people had reading "nooks" little areas in their houses where they would always sit and read. this ia  mobile sit and read device, so nook kind of fits

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

i think they called it a  nook, because (at least when i was young) people had reading "nooks" little areas in their houses where they would always sit and read. this ia  mobile sit and read device, so nook kind of fits

This is basically the answer given in the employee FAQ on the BN intranet. I still prefer Bravo though, it sounds so much more bombastic.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

SLP309 wrote:

why is the amazon kindle called "kindle"?

We'll probably never get an official answer. But here's an unofficial one:

http://www.printmag.com/Article/Who-Named-the-Kindle-(and-Why)

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

the name Nook sort of made sense to me, thinking about it- a book nook is a small space filled with books and a place to sit and read- well my Nook is a fairly small item- filled with books.  I do wonder what the other options were though.  The name "Kindle" never really struck me as fitting, and I thought the explanation given in the article linked above sounded just like some marketing blah blah blah.  I did get made fun of my some friends when I posted my FB status as "I love my Nook" or something along those lines.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

This is basically the answer given in the employee FAQ on the BN intranet. I still prefer Bravo though, it sounds so much more bombastic.

Not that I actually know the answer, but I've always assumed at least part of the reason they didn't stick with "Bravo" was that they couldn't get the rights to use the name - for instance, Bravo TV is an entertainment company and the nook could be seen as an entertainment consumption device - possibility of market confusion (which is a specific trademark issue).  

If there's no crossover into each other's markets, different companies can use the same name, but if there's a risk of crossover, then it gets a lot stickier.

i.e., apple computer had an agreement with apple music (after some initial complaints) for years to allow them to use the "apple" name, provided that they didn't get into the music business.  When apple computer launched the ipod and itunes, that agreement went out the window and, I believe, there were some lawsuits involved.  

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

"We took a look.
We saw a Nook.
On his head
he had a hook.
On his hook
he had a book."

a nook

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

This is the most entertaining thread I have ver read on these boards, thanks to all!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

This was always my belief as well, though, every time I see NOOK I think of how often I've mistyped "book" over the years because I hit the "n" key and wrote "nook."  It always make me laugh a little inside.