Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Vampy_Witch13
0 Kudos

which would be better?

I am trying to figure out what nook I would like to buy, and I'm really unsure of which one offers the best deal. I need something that allows me to read it wherever im at.  Im not sure whether i should get the one with just wi-fi or the 3g and wi-fi.

I also if when i do purchase the nook, will i need to purchase anything else just to use it or can i use it right away? I know i will have to charge it but what is the process of how to do all that? Do i have to do certain things to get the books? or is it like when we order them online?

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

Re: which would be better?

Either model will allow you to read wherever you are located ... the main decision factor between 3G/WiFi and WiFi-only is whether or not you want the ability to purchase books on-the-fly wherever you are.  If you want that flexibility, the 3G model might be the best option.  Aside from the networking options, the two devices are identical.

When you first activate your Nook, you link it to your B&N account (either through the 3G network or over a WiFi network) and that's it.  You can then purchase books and download them directly to the device, or you can buy them from the website, download them to your computer and then copy them to the Nook via the USB cable.

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As JamieOutlaw stated, either model is great. It's just a personal preference for the wifi and 3G. If u have wifi at home or always accessible to a wifi hotspot u can download books by wifi. If u don't have wifi at home or not always accessible to a wifi hotspot, then 3G+Wifi is a deciding factor. U don't need either to read your ebooks, just to download them to your device.

I'm a new user to the Nook, and I luv it. I just put in the book I want in search and whawla, it's there in less than 5 seconds. I take my Nook everywhere.  I still have alot to learn but it's fascinating learning each day what the Nook can do.

Contributor
Hambo
0 Kudos

Contributor
Hambo
0 Kudos

I agree with the above post.  Just don't make the mistake of thinking you can use 3G to access the internet... It's basically a one way connection between your unit and the Barns and Noble server to buy books.  B&N isn't going to pay for you to connect to google or facebook.  You can do this on WiFi, if you are near a hotspot.
New User
Vampy_Witch13
0 Kudos

thank you everyone! Your suggestions and answers really made my decision easier in choosing which i wanted.  :smileyhappy:  thank you soo much

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

3G unless you understand Wi-Fi

In my opinion, you should get the 3G model unless you understand how to configure your home Wi-Fi router. You absolutely must know your SSID and your security key in order to get your NOOK to connect to your home Wi-Fi system. You might need to know how to log into your router to configure it, and have a basic understanding of Wi-Fi security systems.

Inspired Contributor
MBenner
0 Kudos

Re: 3G unless you understand Wi-Fi

yeah I would go with 3g then u will be connected where ever you have signal which is pretty much every where now

To read is to know the Nook, and to read the Nook is to know...Quiet what you know depends upon your Nook. - Darkkin
Frequent Contributor
OKC_NookJA
0 Kudos

I only need to connect over Wi-Fi since I have a wireless router in my home. If I would need to download a book while out, there are a ton of wireless hotspots such as B&N stores, Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc.

There are web sites that will show you where hotspots are on a map.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

don't forget to buy a cover.  You don't want to break it and covers add a bit of protection.

I like the industriell covers. 

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
Jimboinco
0 Kudos

I too have wifi everywhere I go, so the choice for me was easy.  Connecting to secured networks just takes a little patience and good typing skills.

As for things to get.  If your local library has ebooks, you might want to consider downloading Adobe Digital Editions to your computer.  It's free and library cards are usually free too (not all are these days but most).  This is a great option if you are on a limited budget.

I agree with others to get a cover.  It makes transporting your nook much easier.

Finally I would recommend getting a book light for the e-ink nook.  I took mine camping and enjoyed reading a book at night.  Also when traveling a light comes in really handy.

Enjoy!

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I agree with posts that say go with the 3G version.  There have been times when I've been out and about with my nook, with no WiFi hotspot nearby and have heard of a book I want to look into.  My addled brain usually forgets things so very quickly, so I tend to look up things ASAP so that doesn't happen.  Then I can put the book on my wishlist to decide later.  It's not absolutely necessary, but it doesn't cost that much more for that functionality.  In my opinion.

Then a book light and cover are necessities.  My cover is a really good one and it cost $29.  I did get the Lyra light but also had a Mighty Bright light that I used for dead tree books that works great.  Some people don't like the Lyra light, so you should look into what has been said and lights that have been recommended.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Here is a page that compares the devices:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/index.asp?cds2Pid=35878

I hope that helps...