Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
ctnrn
0 Kudos

wi fi security

Just got my nook, trying to access my home network.  My network security guy says the password for my modem needs to be the full 63 characters - nook support told me that it can only be 6 -12 characters .... what gives??  Anyone else have this issue??

New User
javagirl45
0 Kudos

Re: wi fi security

I just set up my nook color up last night and turned my nook on and it found my wireless and my security is only 12 digits with a couple of dashes - not sure if that helps but I had no problem.

New User
SherroC123
0 Kudos

I can't get my Nookcolor to connect to my WPA secure wireless - I have tried to connect, enter the password and nothing happens.  If I set up the netowrk to be open, it connects just fine, but I can't have an open unsecured network...

How did you set up your network?  Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Contributor
MiamiCyn
0 Kudos

Re: WI fi security

I have the "classic" nook and my home wifi security password is 30 characters long. I had no problem when I set up my nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I have a nook classic and a nookcolor.  My wireless security is WPA2-Personal(psk), encryption is AES.  At present my passkey is 13 characters. Both devices connect without problem.

Why not try reducing the size of the key and see if the nook connects. 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

ctnrn wrote:

Just got my nook, trying to access my home network.  My network security guy says the password for my modem needs to be the full 63 characters - nook support told me that it can only be 6 -12 characters .... what gives??  Anyone else have this issue??

Is this at your workplace?   If so, your "network secuity guy" should be able to provide you with the key.   The key won't be 63 characters long.    He may be thinking of a passphrase, the key is generated from that passphrase.

What "key" to you use to say...let a WiFi enabled laptop access the network?    You'll also need to find out what type of encryption is used....typically it is WPA/psk but can be WEP or other forms.     Also, you'll need to know if there is MAC filtering on your network.   That means that ONLY certain devices are permitted on it.   If your nook isn't added to that list of permitted devices....you won't get on it ever, untll they permit it.

Also some places use certificate based authentication....I do not believe the nook supports that.   Not sure about that...but don't believe they do.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

SherroC123 wrote:

I can't get my Nookcolor to connect to my WPA secure wireless - I have tried to connect, enter the password and nothing happens.  If I set up the netowrk to be open, it connects just fine, but I can't have an open unsecured network...

How did you set up your network?  Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Thanks!

The key (password) MUST be in the proper case.    Upper/lower case matters.

Also, you need to have it broadcast its SSID (network name) for the Nook Color.

---------
Don
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ctnrn wrote:

Are you talking about the 64-hex-digit passkey, or the 8-to-63-character passphrase?

You shouldn't have any problem with the passphrase unless it contains characters that aren't on NOOK's keyboard. The 64-hex-digit passkey, though, is beyond NOOK's capability. If the passkey was generated from a passphrase, use that passphrase. But if it's a random sequence of hexadecimal digits, you're stuck.

I have no clue what the "6-12 characters" limit is that you heard about.

Reader
ctnrn
0 Kudos

It is my home network, and my "security guy" is a man I pay - his business is creating/serviceing home networks (and for all I know, business ones as well).  I have a WPA PSK.  He told me he used a password generator program so that it's random.... I had to have him change what was in there which had a bunch of symbols as well.  I need to know what to tell him I need done so I can be secure, but still let my nook access my home network.

Reader
ctnrn
0 Kudos

The 6 - 12 character limit is what nook tech support told me this AM. 

What I have now is a computer generated passkey, of 63 characters - a mix of letters (both caps and lower case) and numbers. It is what my laptop uses to connect to the internet - I have no idea what you mean when you say "hex-digit" pass phrase - unless you mean the one I made him change from which was full of symbols not on the keyboard...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

A hex digit is any of these characters:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

If you've got other characters in there, it's not hex. If it's 63 characters instead of 64, it's not hex, because they come in pairs.

A 63-character totally-random passphrase strikes me as way overkill, personally. Using WPA/TKIP instead of WPA2/AES is more of a security concern than using a reasonably straightforward passphrase, and neither one is really much of a concern (unless your passphrase is so simple that it can be guessed). Combine two or three unrelated words into a passphrase of maybe 12 or more characters, put some strange punctuation in there, and that's going to stop anyone who doesn't have a total obsession with cracking your particular Wi-Fi system.

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman
0 Kudos

Nook does not support Temporal Key Internet Protection (TKIP) on WPA. The software only implements WPA2/AES (128 bit) or WEP or none whatsoever.  As WEP is much older, it is quite a bit easier to "crack" by anyone with a moderately powerful Pentium PC....the 128 bit encryption on AES is of commercial strength.

Also:  some phones with mobile hotspots -- notably the Sprint EVO "4G" from HTC -- have been issued with the default set to TKIP.  These, too, will not work with Nook until the default setting is changed from TKIP to another setting, preferably WPA2/AES.

If you administer your own router, simply change the router's setting on your administration page (usually reached from the "wired" admin PC's browser).  WPA2/AES should be the last form of routing indicated.

If you have a service company implementing your network for you, ask them to turn off WPA/TKIP and implement the more advanced form of browsing.

For mobile hotspots, go to whatever the wireless options setting page may be, and choose the appropriate options to turn off TKIP and turn on WPA2/AES.

New User
MsPetunia
0 Kudos

Merry Christmas!  I have been trying without success to connect my daughter's nook color since 8:00 this morning :smileysad:  To find that this connectivity issue is longstanding is REALLY frustrating.  That said I have tried customer support twice with no help - at this point I am adjusting my router settings myself and have tried WPA2-AES and WEP 128 bit with no luck.  Mac filter is disabled.  Anything else I am missing?  I hate to drive to BN (30 minutes away) on Christmas morning but my daughter really wants to use her gift - Imagine that!!!!!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MsPetunia wrote:

Merry Christmas!  I have been trying without success to connect my daughter's nook color since 8:00 this morning :smileysad:  To find that this connectivity issue is longstanding is REALLY frustrating.  That said I have tried customer support twice with no help - at this point I am adjusting my router settings myself and have tried WPA2-AES and WEP 128 bit with no luck.  Mac filter is disabled.  Anything else I am missing?  I hate to drive to BN (30 minutes away) on Christmas morning but my daughter really wants to use her gift - Imagine that!!!!!

With your router set to WEP 128 bit make sure that the "Authentication Type" is set to Open (which I think is the default on most routes).  The nook wil not connect with the Authentication Type set to "Shared Key".  The other thing to make sure of is that you are entering the hexadecimal passkey which is 26 hex digits when entering the information into the password field on the NookColor network setup screen.

Hope some of this helps . . . .

**NOTE** Just noticed that you're having problems with a NookColor.  My reply was for the original nook - sorry.  Might still be worth a try though . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****