Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
dixieoutlaw

wma support

Would really like to see B&N add WMA support tot he nook.  Most of the eaudiobooks I have found at both NetLibrary and Overdrive are offered in WMA format.  There are ways of converting them but it is time consuming with iffy results especially for DRE protected items.

On my minor wish list:

a: a better dictionary.

b. longer battery life.

All said I really like the nook.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: wma support

Obviously ther are a number of other file formats that it would be nice if they added support for.  As a Itunes user I would like to see the more generic AAC and the DRM'd Itunes supported. 

Contributor
infoduck
0 Kudos

Me too!! Haven't found a converter yet that will do the DRM WMA's to MP3, they just choke. I'm tired of getting excited about a book and its a WMA....sigh....

LOVE my nook

New User
Jen-Ren
0 Kudos

Me too.  About 95% of the ebooks I have on my wish list at my library are WMA's. They seem to have very few MP3's or ePUB's or anything else that I can view. I thought this might change as time went on, but the mainly WMA trend--at least at my library system--continues. Who is Amazon/Kindle paying off to make it this way? LOL

Contributor
JulieG8r
0 Kudos

Perhaps you could try another library to find the books you want in a nook compatible format? I've heard the Free Library of Philadelphia allows you to join (even out of state) for something like $15 per year. That would be a pretty sweet deal if they have more of what you're looking for... Just a thought.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Jen-Ren wrote:

Me too.  About 95% of the ebooks I have on my wish list at my library are WMA's. They seem to have very few MP3's or ePUB's or anything else that I can view. I thought this might change as time went on, but the mainly WMA trend--at least at my library system--continues. Who is Amazon/Kindle paying off to make it this way? LOL

My local library has mainly mp3 audio books, though I have seen some wma while searching. I haven't actually checked out any audio books since last summer so that may have changed. I haven't checked Philly's audiobooks so I'm not sure what their selection is. It probably depends on your library. Try contacting your library and putting in a request for other formats. Maybe whoever does the digital orders doesn't realize there's a difference. Some library systems only have audiobooks and no ebooks at all. I'm lucky in that both my local lbraries have plenty of epubs and tons of audiobooks to choose from.

As far as the nook supporting wma, I doubt that will happen. Isn't wma a microsoft format? Probably B&N couldn't get microscoft to license it to them. And in light of the lawsuit between MS and B&N it may never happen. Probably just as likely as it ever supporting whatever format itunes uses. I don't know about wma, but the itunes format is easy to convert to mp3.

Fran

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Don't forget the libraries have been buying WMAs for years and years. It is going to take time for them to buy as much in other formats, not to mention the publishers are not exactly cooperating. If the number of people buying eReaders continues to grow we will hopefully continue to see an increase in the books available through the library in that format. Do not forget most of the libraries are hurting for money and are not receiving additional funds just for eBooks.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Of course your shouldn't have to, but Ihave an MP3 player that also plays WMA format.  It also does a better of job of organizing, so that is what I use.

B&N could really stand to improve the ability of the Nook to play sound and organize files and the order in which files are played. 

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

dixieoutlaw wrote:

Would really like to see B&N add WMA support tot he nook.  Most of the eaudiobooks I have found at both NetLibrary and Overdrive are offered in WMA format.  There are ways of converting them but it is time consuming with iffy results especially for DRE protected items.

On my minor wish list:

a: a better dictionary.

b. longer battery life.

All said I really like the nook.

So, you want to play more sound files but also have better battery life?  You will definitely see reduced battery life if you are playing music on the Nook.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I wonder now that the Publishers are threatening with making Libraries renew a license every 26 eBooks if they make them do that on Mp3 and WMa's books.