Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

Re: worst product ever

I've had no problems whatsoever connecting to wifi at my house, my friends' houses, restaurants, etc.  So clearly I must have gotten some kind of crazy device that works much much better than every other Nook Color that has rolled off the assembly line, since in general it is the worst product ever. I guess I got the only one with no issues.

Also this discussion belongs in the Nook Color forum. 

New User
scoobydo
0 Kudos

I think that I also was a lucky individual that got one that works. A bit of a problem getting it to cozy up to my router but after checking the web I turned off my MAC filter and didn't have any more problems.

I am a senior citizen and there have not been many things that I have purchased in my life that I thought were worth the money. This Color Nook is definitely one of the few that was worth every penny.

Loving the Nook experience - Can't put it down.

New User
sings
0 Kudos

I am having the same trouble. Bought and paid for a book and some free ones to try it out and they won't download. ALso cant get downloaded from the nook itself rather than online. Keep getting emails saying they are too busy. Bunch of bunk if you ask me, plenty of people out of work, hire some temps!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

MAD_NY wrote:

Ya_Ya

.... not at all, I was just told by the BN technical support personnel that the device was not manufactured to work with Fiber optic internet service and that a later release may change the compatibility

Seeing as there is absolutely NO LOGIC to it working with DSL, cable, but not FiOS, I think that CS may not have known what they were talking about.  That's not unlikely or surprising.

I'm sitting in a room with a Verizon FiOS router.  Yes, they are installed with a default of WEP security.  WEP security is pretty much no security, and seems to cause most of the NOOKColor troubles.  (Maybe the tech was confused and meant to say that NOOKColor doesn't work well with WEP.)

Nobody leaves their FiOS WEP do they? Why would you?  It's like leaving it open.

And even if you did, it's one login to your router, switch it to WPA, make note of your settings, restart all devices, input new network and security key and voila most of the connectivity issues probably disappear.

Correspondent
Bella_Reader
0 Kudos

I have found that my router has been acting up recently. I usually use my laptop wirelessly and have to "reset" my router multiple times a day. Additionally, my bluray player that connects wirelessly has to be reset (including entering the 15 digit password) every time I use the wireless applications. Along the same vein, my nook doesn't like to connect to my wifi even though I'm using my laptop just fine. When I resent my router by unplugging, waiting 10 seconds, and replugging it in, I can connect just fine.

I think my router is quirky, and as I've had it about a year and a half, I bet a lot of routers out there have similar quirks. The trick is to learn your devices and use them, not throw a hissy fit and say "worst product EVAR" and return it. Just think about all the great things you'd miss if you responded in that manner to everything in life.

When it comes to connecting the NOOK to your personal wifi, do you really expect B&N techies to help you? There are so many variables they have no control over that the user should be responsible for it, not B&N. 

I mean, it's so freaking easy to set up a B&N account from bn.com (the same site they used to make their rant-posting, I might add) and read the manual (for both the nook and their routers) that blaming B&N for the mass of new users who instead of trying to solve an issue on their own call customer service and whine that there's a line is preposterous!!!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

@MAD_NY,

Wow!!  I must have purchased a second generation NookColor for my daughter right before Christmas!! :smileysurprised:   My God, she has Verizon FIOS service at her house (both TV and internet) and the NookColor connected and works just fine!!  Her network is secured and she had absolutely no trouble getting a quick and stable connection to FIOS. 

Seriously, from your postings you either have a possibly defective NookColor that should be replaced or your experience in setting up and accessing wi-fi network leaves something to be desired.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Bella_Reader wrote:

I have found that my router has been acting up recently. I usually use my laptop wirelessly and have to "reset" my router multiple times a day. Additionally, my bluray player that connects wirelessly has to be reset (including entering the 15 digit password) every time I use the wireless applications. Along the same vein, my nook doesn't like to connect to my wifi even though I'm using my laptop just fine. When I resent my router by unplugging, waiting 10 seconds, and replugging it in, I can connect just fine.

I've been having hte exact same issue wiht my home WiFi and have the same "fix". DON't you love technology? Just unplug the little devil, count to ten and plug back in. <g> I think I am all WiFid all over the house, then try some device that requires it and realize it likely hasn't been on for hours!
And yes, I think it needs replaced. 
LisaB

Frequent Contributor
768MPH
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The B&N folks in the stores near us (East Jabip) are very helpful! Take a few minutes to read the user guides, search on the forums and most problems should be solved.

In most cases, it's over reaction from the user; worst product ever, blah blah blah!

Mr. Pink
Contributor
OneTimeUser
0 Kudos

I agree the B&N staff in the stores are very helpful.  I took my Nook to my local B&N and it had no trouble connecting to the B&N WiFi, registering, and downloading a book.  The person who helped me indicated he was having to help "dozens" of users a day with the same issue; the Nook connects just fine in a store, but not at their homes.  The Nook says it is connected to my home WiFi and my son's laptop is connected to it and has no problems accessing anything on the internet.  The Nook can not use the connection; it indicates it is connected but when I try to browse for a new book it reports no connectivity.  And yes to all the smug posters; I have downloaded and read the manuals, and had the OS upgraded whilst in the B&N store and neither helped.  This is the only device that can not use the WiFi in my house and based on my trip to the local B&N I am not alone.  There is nothing in any of the Nook manuals giving any information on how to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity for the Nook; it assumes the Nook will work if it has a WiFi connection; it doesn't.  It there are certain types of routers the Nook can't work with, or any special settings the Nook requires neither are mentioned in any Manuals or FAQs.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

OneTimeUser wrote:

I agree the B&N staff in the stores are very helpful.  I took my Nook to my local B&N and it had no trouble connecting to the B&N WiFi, registering, and downloading a book.  The person who helped me indicated he was having to help "dozens" of users a day with the same issue; the Nook connects just fine in a store, but not at their homes.  The Nook says it is connected to my home WiFi and my son's laptop is connected to it and has no problems accessing anything on the internet.  The Nook can not use the connection; it indicates it is connected but when I try to browse for a new book it reports no connectivity.  And yes to all the smug posters; I have downloaded and read the manuals, and had the OS upgraded whilst in the B&N store and neither helped.  This is the only device that can not use the WiFi in my house and based on my trip to the local B&N I am not alone.  There is nothing in any of the Nook manuals giving any information on how to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity for the Nook; it assumes the Nook will work if it has a WiFi connection; it doesn't.  It there are certain types of routers the Nook can't work with, or any special settings the Nook requires neither are mentioned in any Manuals or FAQs.

Since there are so many wireless routers, it's impossible for B&N manuals to give troubleshooting info.  Once it's confirmed that the problem is not your nook, you know it's something in your setup at home.  You'd be better off posting your router information and problems here.

Have you tried to reset the router?  Power off/on the nook?  

I don't know a lot about troubleshooting, but there are many knowledgeable users here.

Don't give up.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@MAD_NY,

Your statement is incorrect.  NOOKcolor works with Fiber optic internet service. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

The fact that the nook or NOOKcolor connects to wifi in other locations (the BN store for one) indicates that the problem is in the particular user's setup.  As has been pointed out there are many variables when setting up a router and it can involve how you set up the home network itself.  There can even be limits on the number of devices that can be connected to the router at one time, interference, or even firewalls blocking devices that are not using the same firewall protection.

It often is required that you look into your particular router/software setup in order to fix things.  Believe me as a person that has laptops, nooks, NOOKcolors, ps3, wireless printer, and iphone that I have connected to my router/modem.  One particular laptop simply would not connect to the wifi until I moved it to another room where it connected and I can now move the laptop around the house with no problem connecting. 

I have connected my NC to a mifi with no problem and at Christmas inadvertantly connected to one of my cousin's neighbor's netgear open wifi network.  As well it connected yesterday to the open wifi netgear network of one of my brother's neighbors.  One side note is that I had far more trouble getting the mifi activated or even getting it shipped to me than I did connecting my 2 NCs to it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

Michael-V wrote:

@MAD_NY,

Your statement is incorrect.  NOOKcolor works with Fiber optic internet service. 

And that is confirmed by a poster here:   http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Can-t-Continue-with-Setup/m-p/789930#...

Quoted - nater77

For those of you with Verizon FIOS, here's what I did to get connected:

1. Log in to your router using 192.168.1.1 in your internet browser

2. Click on the "wireless" icon in the top menu bar

3. In the left menu, select "Basic Security Settings"

4. Go to option 4 and select Advanced (WPA/WPA2,802.1x) and click apply at the bottom.

5. In the left menu, select "Advanced Security Settings"

6. Select WPA/WPA2 under the Level 1 header. When you click the radio button, the page will open a set of options.

7. Under "Stations Security Type" choose WPA2 from the drop-down

8. For authentication type, it should be set to "pre-shared key" (this should be the default setting)

9. Type in any password/key you'd like. It should be at least 12 characters and can be any number, letter or special character

10. Under Encryption Algorithm, select AES from the drop-down. Leave the other settings as the default.

11. Click on "apply" at the bottom.

You're router will NOT have to be rebooted, however, your laptop or desktop will need to be reconnected using the new security settings.

Once this is complete, go back to your NC and the network should now say "secured by WPA/WPA2.  Enter in the new password/key you used in step 9 from above.

Viola!  Your "continue setup" button should now be green and you'll be able to continue the registration process.

New User
xyzrjmb
0 Kudos

Also, BTW, I think you means personnel instead of personal.  LOL, again!

Contributor
OneTimeUser
0 Kudos

Last night the new Nook began working with my home router; absolutely no changes were made to the router; the Nook just connected.  it has been spotty today, and two books took more than 24-hours to download.  I repeat: NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE ROUTER OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THE HOME NETWORK.  Miraculously, the Nook decided to work.  Looking through several other threads on this forum it is clear this problem is not uncommon: Nook works at B&N, but not home, other devices work fine at home; older Nook (or in some cases presented in other threads, the exact same Nook) used to work with home network.  It would be nice if B&N actually had some sort of technical support in place for these devices before selling them in unsupportable quantities.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

OneTimeUser wrote:

Last night the new Nook began working with my home router; absolutely no changes were made to the router; the Nook just connected.  it has been spotty today, and two books took more than 24-hours to download.  I repeat: NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE ROUTER OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THE HOME NETWORK.  Miraculously, the Nook decided to work.  Looking through several other threads on this forum it is clear this problem is not uncommon: Nook works at B&N, but not home, other devices work fine at home; older Nook (or in some cases presented in other threads, the exact same Nook) used to work with home network.  It would be nice if B&N actually had some sort of technical support in place for these devices before selling them in unsupportable quantities.

Not sure why your nook all of a sudden began working - is it possible you powered it off and then turned it back on?  Sometimes that gives it a kick.

If your nook is working at B&N, but not at home, it is not a nook problem.  It is not B&N's responsibility to have technical support for all of the different routers out there.  

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

It's also just possible the wifi signal was too weak for awhile.  Mine fluxuates a lot at home.  Some times the signal from the bedroom is at 4 bars, and sometimes at 1

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

At least when you call B&N customer service you don't talk to "Peggy". After reading the complaints from the new users I have come to the conclusion that the Nook is smaarter then most of them!
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

[snip]

Some times the signal from the bedroom is at 4 bars, and sometimes at 1

Yeah...as we get older, my wife tells me the same thing   :smileywink:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

OneTimeUser wrote:

if your nook was able to connect at B&N it only means that there's nothing wrong with your nook

Unanimous Decision