Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45

you know what's sweet?

Sitting in your house after finishing a book and realizing you don't have the next book in the series. So you hit 3 buttons and instantly have the new book too!

love you nook!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: you know what's sweet?

Its downright addictive.  

Someone mentions a book, (either here or elsewhere on the net) and you can be in the store and buy it and its on your nook almost instantly.  

I've spent more money with B&N since the nook than I did in the last 10 years combined.

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

yea me too, I have like 12 or 13 books i bought from b&n, and about 25-30 i bought else where, plus 100+ free books on my nook right now. Thats close to exceeding what i read in the last 5 years, and i have them all at my fingertips!

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140

I have the same problem lol.  I bought a book, realized it was the third in a series and before I could blink....I had the first two!  Then I was walking home from work on Friday, saw someone reading a book that looked interesting.  I got on the bus, connected to 3G and it was there in 30 seconds.  This nook will put a serious dent in my bank account.

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

LOL I have spent more money and read more books in the last 4 months verses the last 4 years!

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

this is exaclty how i cannot figure out how people say "ebooks are only 5% or less of the market" because i have bought more books in 2 weeks than i have in 2 years(because my favorite authors have been slow with new releases)

New User
brenda50
0 Kudos

My son forgot his copy of "Lord of the Flies" at school and needed it for homework. No copy in the house? No problem--- a few minutes later he was good to go!

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

this is exaclty how i cannot figure out how people say "ebooks are only 5% or less of the market" because i have bought more books in 2 weeks than i have in 2 years

On top of that, the "real" books are read over and over by multiple people and purchased at huge discounts, on the remainder rack, in paperback form, and each version costs less and less (even free when you throw in how many books are passed on from friend to friend).  But with ebooks, it's pretty much a one-shot deal.  You pay full price (or more), read it.  And nobody else can read it (lend-me books notwithstanding).  Just for that fact, you'd think eBooks would be a higher percentage - because they have to sell so many more copies to equal the number of people who read one copy of the real books.

But, the price keeps me from buying.  If they were priced consistently at less than their "real" counterparts, I'd buy so many...instead, I buy none.  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Gwynne
0 Kudos

I read a lot before I got my Nook, and I do read even more now.  I'm waiting for the publishers to actually catch onto the fact that we like ebooks, but because of the limitations on ebooks, they SHOULD be significantly cheaper than DTBs, while still maintaining a very healthy profit margin.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

brenda50 wrote:

My son forgot his copy of "Lord of the Flies" at school and needed it for homework. No copy in the house? No problem--- a few minutes later he was good to go!

Lol!  These kids have it made, don't they?  My son has to read for 1/2 hour every night and keep a log about what he reads.  He was bored with his books so he begged to buy some new on nook.

Then he got so engrossed in his new books, he hogged my nook all evening!  It's hard to say no when your kid wants to read.

Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal
0 Kudos

I can't say my volume or reading or purchasing has increased.  Instead I would say I now read things in eBook format I would not have in classic book format.  Several have been avaiable in eBook only.  Several I purchased for the exellent price point they were being sold at in eBook format.

I still have issues with the eBook pricing under the Agency 5 model so I have not been purchasing as freely as I may have in the past.  I still insist on finding the right books at the right prices and I'll visit my local library if need be.

For the record: I Love My Nook!

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

NJMetal wrote:

I can't say my volume or reading or purchasing has increased.  Instead I would say I now read things in eBook format I would not have in classic book format. 

Both have changed for me! I've increased the number of books I've been reading (and purchasing). And after the pricing upset, I've been reading a lot of new authors. I found out that there are several that offer one or more of their ebooks free, and I would never have come across them before getting my nook.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

kp1 wrote:

brenda50 wrote:

Lol!  These kids have it made, don't they?  My son has to read for 1/2 hour every night and keep a log about what he reads.  He was bored with his books so he begged to buy some new on nook.

Then he got so engrossed in his new books, he hogged my nook all evening!  It's hard to say no when your kid wants to read.

Sounds like its time for nook number 2!

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I, too, have purchased more books since I got my nook in January, and I have always been an avid reader.  Since getting my nook though, I have also purchased a Kate Spade cover (love it), a pink back, nook light, a new purse with side pockets to easily carry my nook, and a larger hobo bag with side pockets for plane travel.  After seeing the photos of all of your personalized nooks, I have ordered a skin from DecalGirl.  Now that I have a well-dressed nook, I hope to just feed it books (not costing more than$9.99).  Oh and I forgot to mention the convenience of not having to run to the store when you have finished a book.  Basically, unless I want to drive across town to my local B&N, my only choices for books have been from WalMart.  Now in moments I can have any book.  Love, my nook!

Frequent Contributor
iharley
0 Kudos

I'd have to say I've got a love/hate relationship with the nook. I love how easy it is to get new books, and read them. I hate how easy it is to buy these new books :smileywink: I bought the nook thinking I'd save money in the long run, but I'm buying more books now. But I enjoy it.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm definitely guilty of going over my budget on books since getting the nook.  It is so nice to be able to get a book anywhere and anytime.  It actually came in handy for me last night - I had to take my Mom to the ER and finished the book I was reading while there but I was able to step outside and have a new one in just a few minutes to tide me over the rest of the night.

Wordsmith
Po1gara
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

I'm definitely guilty of going over my budget on books since getting the nook.  It is so nice to be able to get a book anywhere and anytime.  It actually came in handy for me last night - I had to take my Mom to the ER and finished the book I was reading while there but I was able to step outside and have a new one in just a few minutes to tide me over the rest of the night.

Having spent many many hours in emergency rooms with my mom before she passed away, I know exactly how great having the nook would have been. Today I had my pomeranian puppy at the vet hospital for a follow up visit after leg surgery and really appreciated having my nook to read and when I got tired of reading, passed the time playing Sudoku. The time just seems to fly by. Hope your mom is doing okay. :smileyhappy:

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Po1gara wrote:

Nevermore1 wrote:

Having spent many many hours in emergency rooms with my mom before she passed away, I know exactly how great having the nook would have been. Today I had my pomeranian puppy at the vet hospital for a follow up visit after leg surgery and really appreciated having my nook to read and when I got tired of reading, passed the time playing Sudoku. The time just seems to fly by. Hope your mom is doing okay. :smileyhappy:

Recently my girlfriends family were all in a horrid car crash.  I spent a week in the hospital and would have went crazy without my nook.  As soon as my girfriends mom was at of the ICU she liked my nook so much she bought one for herself. She loved the fact that she could buy/read almost anybook with just a few short clicks (she ended up being in the hospital for over a month so it was nice that she could always get a new book without worrying about going to the library or bookstore).

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Contributor
stargazergsd
0 Kudos

Me too. Before the Nook I would finish maybe 2 book a year. So far  - I got mine on Dec 24,2009 I have finished 13 books. I find my self starting with a series and finishing the series of books in no time at all. I finished all the books that Daniel Levin -  and Dan Brown. I have one more book and I will have finished all of Steve Berry works to date and one more in  Chris Kuzneski work ( which I had to buy in paper back because it was so old that it was not in E-book format). Steve Berry new book The Emperor's Tomb come out on 11/16 and Chris Kuzneski on July 8 - The Prophecy. I never thought I would be called a reader but I guess I can proudly say I am a avid reader.  If my high school English teacher could see me now. She tried her best to get me to read and I buck all the way. Wow what 30 years can do... 

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

@Po1gara - That's one of the reasons I got my nook.  My Mom has brain cancer and we make a lot of unexpected trips to the hospital (not to mention all her regular Dr's appts for check-ups and chemo, a trip to NIH is a full day of sitting and waiting).

@JdiennoPSU - I hope they're all ok now.  Being in the hospital is not fun!!!  So far I've been lucky and my longest stay has been 4 days but even 1 day is too long as far as I'm concerned - nothing to do but sit and look at the walls and be dependent on others to bring you things to keep you occupied.  Like you mentioned at least with the nook you don't have to be quiet as dependent on someone else to bring you new reading material...