gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: you know what's sweet?

I had my aortic valve replaced two years ago.  I knew I was in for a week's stay, so I loaded up six paperbacks that I had already read thinking focusing might be hard.  I really began to wish I had newer reading material but like to pick my own books.  Plus, it was hard to hold the books up and open right after surgery.  I definitely recommend one for someone having surgery!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

You think that's bad (well the surgery probably sucked, but I'm focused on the books!) - I moved to Italy for six months for work, and didn't have access to a TV or internet for the first two months in my new apartment (No TV was expected - but there was a bureacratic "glitch" in getting the internet set up, which caused no end to delays).

So I shipped an entire bankers box of books over.  Which then got stuck in customs for several weeks because my office in NY didn't fill out the forms correctly.

So when I got to Italy on a Saturday afternoon, I had...no TV, no Internet, no Phone, and absolutely nothing to read (had finished all my magazines on the plane), with absolutely no idea where to even find a bookstore (and, of course, everything in Milan is closed on sundays anyway, so even if I wanted to explore...).  The phone was remedied quickly because the apartment building porter took pity on my and took me to an electronics store, and when i finally got to the office on monday I had internet and people to show me where the nearest bookstore with an english language section was, but that first 36 hours was, perhaps, the most stir crazy that I've ever gotten.  I really thought I was going to go mad.  

This completely overshadowed the fact that another box of stuff that got stuck in customs contained all of my bedding, and I had to sleep on a bare mattress for several days.  

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Oh, the hospital stay wasn't too bad and the surgery went well.  At least I had some books! 

smiller492
0 Kudos

Not sure if I should post here or start a new thread titled "I read so much on my nook my husband wants to put me on a budget"!!

I love my nook.  I have books at my fingertips 24/7!!  I have always been a big reader and this has just made my life so much easier!  It used to be that I would have to wait until I got a free moment, load up the kids, find the car keys, drive to the store, choose my books, try to purchase my books without everything in the aisles that my kids 'have to have' and then drive home just in time to meet the ice cream man.  This is way better!

My daughter wants one.  She was told if she gets all A's for the year she'll get one.  My husband is letting her B+ in math count since neither of us can do her homework anymore.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

smiller492 wrote:

Not sure if I should post here or start a new thread titled "I read so much on my nook my husband wants to put me on a budget"!!

I love my nook.  I have books at my fingertips 24/7!!  I have always been a big reader and this has just made my life so much easier!  It used to be that I would have to wait until I got a free moment, load up the kids, find the car keys, drive to the store, choose my books, try to purchase my books without everything in the aisles that my kids 'have to have' and then drive home just in time to meet the ice cream man.  This is way better!

My daughter wants one.  She was told if she gets all A's for the year she'll get one.  My husband is letting her B+ in math count since neither of us can do her homework anymore.

Yes, I agree with accepting a B+ in math!  I'd be beside myself if my son got a B+!  Or a C+ for that matter!! :smileywink:

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

I agree! My reading has increased since I got my nook. I was there for a while averaging a book a week, on top of my full time job, husband, house chores, school work, and social life!!  It's slowed down since school has gotten more intense but i am happy to say that in about a week, I will be homework free... but probably in credit card debit with my ebooks!!

I am really considering suing though.  Barnes and Noble did not warn me that I would suffer from lack of sleep because I read so much! They should put the warning on the box!! haha!! (just kidding. I would never sue over something as insane as that!)

I truly do love my nook and I don't forsee myself trading it for an ipad, or kindle any time soon.

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Frequent Contributor
crazyakchick
0 Kudos

most definitely sweet.  however, the sweetest is when it's 9p, you've finished your book, you go online to the library and download a FREE new book!  our library just began offering ebooks and i'm absolutely loving it - which makes me love my already very much loved nook MORE!

smiller492
0 Kudos

Here's the newest best thing...

Stuck at work for (gasp!) 17 hours and I finished the book I was reading on my nook.  So I pop onto B&N, find a new one, and away I go!!

I love it so much!!

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

I work in Organizational Development, and I was charged with starting a reading library for our campus.  I used my nook to preview books I was interested in, and people were so impressed how I could get the downloads in seconds.  Never had to leave my office, and I ordered 61 books for our library!