Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

1 time only lendng

Wow, just read the fine print.  I thought I was limited to lending to the same person once.  I didn't realize I couldn't lend a book to more than 1 person period.  Very disappointing.  The lendable feature is just that, a feature, not a benefit.

Sorry, but this is the first thing about my Nook that has disappointed me!!

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: 1 time only lendng

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

Wow, just read the fine print.  I thought I was limited to lending to the same person once.  I didn't realize I couldn't lend a book to more than 1 person period.  Very disappointing.  The lendable feature is just that, a feature, not a benefit.

It's a publisher thing, not a B&N or Nook thing.  The publisher has to agree to allow the book to be lent, which is why all books are not lendable, and the current agreement is a one time lending.  Given the current environment, I'm kind of amazed B&N got the publishers to agree at all, but it would be great if it could be lent more often.

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

Not surprised to hear it's a publisher issue.  And, it won't keep me from telling anyone who will listen how much I love my Nook.  Having said that I still think B&N makes lendable sound like much more than it is.  But, if I were the marketing guy in charge of getting the Nook off the shelf, I wouldn't put a big red flashing arrow on the fine print either. 

Pam
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried lending a book more than once?

Reader
NookLover74
0 Kudos

I had no idea!  No wonder I've been having a hard time finding lending groups...I thought there was something elese to it, but if you can only lend the book ONCE, you're obviously going to be more selective if you have family members/friends that also own the nook.  Thanks for the post, I didn't read the fine print either, LOL.

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

I joined a group literally hours before I found this out.  Now I'm going to withdraw and limit my lending to friends. 

Pam
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

Once you've loaned a book that option is no longer in your menu

Pam
Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

Not surprised to hear it's a publisher issue.  And, it won't keep me from telling anyone who will listen how much I love my Nook.  Having said that I still think B&N makes lendable sound like much more than it is.  But, if I were the marketing guy in charge of getting the Nook off the shelf, I wouldn't put a big red flashing arrow on the fine print either. 

This is why I won't pay more than $9.99 for an ebook.  You really don't have full ownership of what you are purchasing, merely a license to it.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

A lot of people tend to forget that unlike Kindle e-books (that are tied to the Kindle hardware) B&N e-books can be read on any Nook. Anyone who knows the credit card number and name the books are encrypted with can open them. And the Nook remembers credit card number/name combinations that have been used, so if you open the first book yourself the other person does not even have to know your credit card number and name, the next books will just open.

Lending is great for lending books to strangers, but among family and friends you can just share the books by copying them to the other Nooks.

This is something I think B&N should make much more clearer to people, because it gives them a huge advantage above the Kindle, where every Kindle that wants to read your books has to be tied to your account (because the book has to be encrypted for the hardware id of that particular Kindle).

I wonder if they keep quiet about this because of the publishers?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

A lot of people tend to forget that unlike Kindle e-books (that are tied to the Kindle hardware) B&N e-books can be read on any Nook. Anyone who knows the credit card number and name the books are encrypted with can open them. And the Nook remembers credit card number/name combinations that have been used, so if you open the first book yourself the other person does not even have to know your credit card number and name, the next books will just open.

Lending is great for lending books to strangers, but among family and friends you can just share the books by copying them to the other Nooks.

This is something I think B&N should make much more clearer to people, because it gives them a huge advantage above the Kindle, where every Kindle that wants to read your books has to be tied to your account (because the book has to be encrypted for the hardware id of that particular Kindle).

I wonder if they keep quiet about this because of the publishers?

The publishers would not be pleased, I'm sure. You're correct in that Kindle readers must be registered to a particular account to load books from that account. If Kindles are registered to an account and a number of books loaded to it, it can be as easily de-registered from the account and the books remain on the de-registered Kindle. They aren't "supposed" to be left on the de-registered Kindle but people sometimes "forget" to remove them. The publishers wouldn't care that either. Que sera sera.  :smileywink:

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

Once you've loaned a book that option is no longer in your menu

And again I will ask if anyone has TRIED lending a book more than once. Because I have lent out a book more than once and I had no problems doing so, except that it ended up in said friend's archived books.

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

How does this work exactly.  I have a friend who lives 200 miles away that I would love to share with.  Are you talking about sideloading from my computer or sending from my Nook to hers across the state?  If there's a way to make this work I would love to know, step by step, how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not very techy so when I read "loan once" I took it at face value.

Pam
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

How does this work exactly.  I have a friend who lives 200 miles away that I would love to share with.  Are you talking about sideloading from my computer or sending from my Nook to hers across the state?  If there's a way to make this work I would love to know, step by step, how.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not very techy so when I read "loan once" I took it at face value.

If you trust your your friend with the credit card number and name your books are encrypted with you can just e-mail her the book. She just has to copy the book to the My Documents folder of her Nook (using the USB connection).

She will have to enter the credit card numer and name your books are encrypted with for the first book. As the Nook remembers that info the following books will open automatically.

The B&N social DRM is great for sharing books with friends and family. Unlike the Kindle you do not need to register to the same account. And unlike the regular Abobe Adept ePub DRM you do need to register to a specific Abobe ID. Your books are not tied to any hardware or software ID.

I personally think this is one of the biggest advantages of the Nook. And something B&N really should use when competing with the Kindle.

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

I have used the Lend Me feature to share with two different people. The Lend Me feature allows you to Lend the eBook to different people, but the eBook can only be borrowed to the same person once.

For Example: "Alice in Wonderland" borrowed to Person A; once she opens the book and after specified loan period it is returned to me, she is no longer eligible for me to loan that same book to her. But this same book I can borrow to Person B, but only once. When returned I can borrow it to Person C.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

bevnd wrote:

I have used the Lend Me feature to share with two different people. The Lend Me feature allows you to Lend the eBook to different people, but the eBook can only be borrowed to the same person once.

For Example: "Alice in Wonderland" borrowed to Person A; once she opens the book and after specified loan period it is returned to me, she is no longer eligible for me to loan that same book to her. But this same book I can borrow to Person B, but only once. When returned I can borrow it to Person C.

If you've loaned "Alice in Wonderland" more than once, it must be one of the free copies. Page 114 of the user guide states unequivocally "You can only lend an eBook one time" with the proviso that an offer to loan the book must be accepted. If the offer isn't accepted or expires, the book is still lendable.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

What about free books though?

Reader 2
sleo
0 Kudos

I attempted to loan a book to my daughter but was unsuccessful.  I contacted customer service and they were not very helpful.  Finally they said I should contact them by phone.  By then my daughter was totally frustrated and wasn't interested in further messing around and neither was I.  Every time she tried to access the book, she was told she had to enter a credit card # to pay for it.  I was told that this shouldn't happen, but it kept happening.

Now, I can't loan that book to anyone else!  Even though it was never really loaned at all.  Bah Humbug!

Frequent Contributor
bevnd
0 Kudos

Not sure where you are you reading this tidbit info. But I have loaned the same book out to more than one person.

1. You can only loan the same book to the same person once.

2. You can loan the same book to more than one person, but not at the same time.

3. When the LendMe book has been returned to you, then you can loan it out to someone else.

4. While the book is loaned out, you do not have access to it on your Nook or eReader until the loan book is returned to you.

Check the User Guide page 124

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What I don't understand is the lack of logic. You can hand people books countless times and we have libraries full of books that are loaned countless times. Yet, an ebook that is locked and will automatically return to the user.... can only be lent to a person once; ever. 

But then these are, after all, the same publishers that put ads at the start and back of books. If I were not so anal retentive I'd have ripped all the ads out. But then I think the know we as book lovers won't rip out pages, even if they are stupid ads. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

bevnd wrote:

Check the User Guide page 124

From page 124:

• You can only lend an eBook one time. It only counts as the one time lending if your friend accepts the lending offer.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 1,096 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: