Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

10 days of reading on a charge?

Before I ordered my Nook I read in the early reviews that we should expect 10 days of reading on a single charge. I have had mine for almost 2 months now and get nowhere near this. For the past month I leave my Nook in Airplane Mode except for downloads and seem to only get 3-4 days before the pop up warning to recharge.

What is everyone else getting? Is my battery bad?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: 10 days of reading on a charge?

Many threads on this.  No need to start a new one.

It depends entirely on your reading style, how much time you spend with the touch screen on, and whether or not you have run the battery down to zero to condition the charge measuring circuit.

Nobody is yet getting 10 days.

Inspired Contributor
rotorhead
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I never use the touch screen while reading a book, I always use the buttons. I have run mine down until it shut off twice since I got it.

What is everyone getting? What should I expect?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
--- Carl Sagan
Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

rotorhead wrote:

Everyone is getting annoyed with people not using the search feature.
You should expect to get flamed for not searching the forums first.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=battery+life#message-list

Frequent Contributor
Wrennie
0 Kudos

It's really all relative...the day thing. Someone could get only 3 days since they are reading for 7 hours a day. Another person might get 8 days at only an hour or two a day. It's really unfair to use days as the measurement for battery life. 

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

With wi-fi off, and airplane mode on, I am getting about 4 days on a charge. I rarely use the touchscreen either.

Contributor
Ed57

ajrosen wrote:

rotorhead wrote:

Everyone is getting annoyed with people not using the search feature.
You should expect to get flamed for not searching the forums first.
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=battery+life#message-list

Factually incorrect.  I am part of everyone and I'm not annoyed at all.....

Distinguished Correspondent
magictaco
0 Kudos

I have no idea how long of a charge I'm getting.  I've never been far enough away from an outlet for it to matter.

~
Have a taco. I love you.
Contributor
madmak
0 Kudos

E-ink devices typically measure battery performance in page turns rather than days (since usage pattern varies so much in the target audience). Typical e-ink device last 10,000 page turns on single charge. that's assuming entire battery is just used for page turning (no lcd, no wifi, no 3g, etc). On average, expect a device like Nook to last 6k page turns with wifi off and airplane on.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

madmak wrote:

E-ink devices typically measure battery performance in page turns rather than days (since usage pattern varies so much in the target audience). Typical e-ink device last 10,000 page turns on single charge. that's assuming entire battery is just used for page turning (no lcd, no wifi, no 3g, etc). On average, expect a device like Nook to last 6k page turns with wifi off and airplane on.

Wait a minute...

How can you make assertions about how many page turns an eInk device gets with no reference to the size of the battery, no reference (or even knowledge of) the underlying CPU processor, the storage system, or any other component.

You blindly state that "e-ink device last 10,000 page turns on single charge".  

Really?  Charge of WHAT?  Every e-ink unit out there has a different battery size, different CPUs driving them.  The eInk doesn't fetch up its own data.  It needs a computer driving it.  Batteries are sized based on a cost benefit ratio, not some magical page turn count. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 563 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: