New User
Beef_Wellington
0 Kudos

100% to 1% charge - Stuck on Battery Charge Screen

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

I've had my nook for exactly one week.  I was reading last night when it fell to 25% and went to a screen that says "Nook battery level too low to operate, please charge".  I plugged it into the wall and left it for a few hours until the amber light went off.  I unplugged it and went to bed.

This morning I wanted to read a little before work.  I turned the nook on and charge was at 100%.  I was able to read about 3 pages and all of a sudden a pop up came that said battery is critical level, please charge or nook will shut down (paraphrase).   I was able to check the charge level in Settings and it said 1%.  It shortly went back to the "Too low to operate" screen (with picture of the USB cable) and has been stuck there ever since.  I plugged the charger back in and even though the amber light is on nothing is happening (been plugged in for over 2 hours).  I cannot turn it off or even get to the main screen.

I do not use airplane mode, but I also do not use sleep mode.  I usually get to read once a day at night, and when I'm not reading it I shut the nook down completely. Anyone else running into this or any clue on how to fix?

Thank you

***UPDATE***  My nook is completely stuck on the "Critical Battery Alert" screen (the one that shows the USB cable and wall plug pictures).  I even removed the battery and it still shows - it does not shut down or go completely white.  I've been on hold with customer service for over 20 minutes - haven't spoken to a human yet.  No matter what I do the nook does not respond.  It does show an amber light if i plug it into the wall but keep in mind I fully charged it last night.  When I plug the USB into the computer the amber light comes on buy my computer does not recognize that anything is plugged into it (no nook options show up)

If any one can help I appreciate it.  Thank you 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: 100% to 1% charge - Stuck on Battery Charge Screen

@Beef_Wellington,

I am looking into this for you.

Our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life.  *Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your nook when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

* Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your nook for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your nook off for storage. If you are going to store your nook for
more that a week, turn it off. 

The user manual for the nook is located on the device itself as a .pdf 
Go to: My library> View my documents> nook user guide. 
*You can also visit http://www.nook.com/support to download a digital copy.

Please let us know if your issue was resolved.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Reader
Vanilla_Rooibos
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I called customer service today and they gave me a few instructions to follow to try to resolve the issue because I'm having a very similar problem with my nook being stuck on the Critical Battery Alert page. I had left it on sleep mode for a few days and when I picked it up to read it, that page was showing so I plugged it into the wall charger overnight.  The light went on when I plugged it in.  The next day the light was out and when I unplugged it and looked at the screen it had the same page showing.  I pulled the battery out a few times and kept holding the power buttons for different periods of time.  I finally got sick of searching for a solution online, so I called customer service and spoke with a representative within a minute.  This is what she told me:

Step 1: remove the battery

Step 2: press and hold the power button on the nook for 60 seconds

Step 3: keep the battery out of the nook for 15 to 30 minutes

Step 4: put the battery back into the nook

Step 5: plug the nook into the wall charger and let it charge for 4 hours

She said that it should be working after I have left it plugged in for the 4 hours.  She diagnosed the problem as the battery not wanting to give it's charge to the nook. 

Please do not charge NOOK without the battery

I hope that this helps.  I'm hoping that it will at least work for me, I'm in the middle of Step 3 at the moment.

Reader
Vanilla_Rooibos
0 Kudos

After 20 minutes of having it plugged in the screen went blank and my nook started up.  i'm letting it charge the 4 hours before i try to use it again, though... This definitely worked for me

New User
Kaci96
0 Kudos

This also happened to my Nook. I did the exact 5 things and roughly 20-30 min later my screen shut off, blinked back on and started the set up mode! HURRAY!! =) Thank you!

New User
WolfAtRest
0 Kudos

How do they expect you to read the pdf file located on the Nook when the Nook is completely frozen.  Mine is having the exact same problem by the way.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

[ Edited ]

WolfAtRest wrote:

How do they expect you to read the pdf file located on the Nook when the Nook is completely frozen.  Mine is having the exact same problem by the way.

Well, there's a copy of all the user guides on the website.  Michael V provided a link, however, since these posts are about 4+ months old and the website has changed, it might not be correct.  But the Nook page has a link to the support pages.

New User
KNW88
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this. I am in the middle of step 3!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 314 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: