Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BonnieH

3G Internet Access

I picked up the 3G WiFI yesterday and was hoping that I'd be able to use the 3G network to access emails etc at work so that I don't have to use the work computer.

Here's my problem...I can't get on the web using the 3G.  I asssumed that since I can get on the web w/my ATT 3G network phone that this would work the same way.  I managed to get the nook hooked up to my home wireless, but still can't get to what I want to get at online - a message comes up saying something like I'm not hooked up to a hotspot and the little arrows just keep going around and around.

RIght now I am accessing a WiFi hotspot (with a weak signal) and all I get is a blank screen at the top and a blank screen at the bottom (just the tool bar).

Should I contact someone in Customer service and see if they can help, go back to the store, or just return the whole thing and get something else???

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Re: 3G Internet Access

The 3g connection is strictly for access to B&N for your books, B&N shopping and The Daily.  Web browser only works on WIFI connection.  B&N pays for your 3g access and contracted with AT&T based on this limited use of the AT&T Network.

New User
BonnieH
0 Kudos

Thanks. Is the ATT network based on the full phone network or only certain locations?  Where can I find the coverage map if it's different than the regular "phone" map?

If that's the case with limited 3g, i'll probably return this for the less expensive model...or even for one of the other types of ereaders...haven't made up my mind yet.

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually although labeled 3g they are supported by any of the areas in the AT&T data map coverage area. 

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data (you may have to reselect type data to see the data coverage area)

But yes it is quite limited in what you can use it for.

New User
aerotrike
0 Kudos

This becomes an interesting issue.

Before I purchased my 3G Nook, I asked 2 different store reps on the possibilities of the 3G version.

-   I wanted to make sure that is was worth $50 for the 3G.

-      The question I asked was;  "Can I use the 3G signal to perform basic web access task?"

---      "Such as looking up traffic conditions."

I am aware that this device was not designed for high bandwidth access, but the task I was looking for was minimal.  The installed web browser does not give much more capability.

Both store reps said YES.  Their response was "This is worth the 3G price difference."

Can you explain why BN's store reps can give this answer?

Am I better off to consider returning this and look at the new Kindle? 

-  They offer web access through 3G.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@aerotrike,

I fail to understand the importance to some people of the web access via 3G.

You admit being aware of the limitations of using an e-reader for web browsing.

Wouldn't you pick the most capable e-reader for your needs (whatever that is, I don't believe in one size fits all)?

3G web access would not be or big factor (or any factor) in my decision at all. Much more important is the reading functionality, display clarity, etc.

Only if everything else came up equal would I say "and the kindle allows me to browse the web over the 3G network".

Or top put it another way: When you thought the NOOK and Kindle both had 3G web browsing, why did you choose the NOOK, and isn't that reason still valid (and more important than web browsing)?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I also believe it is the TOS for the Kindle that the may charge you for browsing the internet using the 3G.  I don't know if they do, but I remember reading that the TOS allows them to do this.

Frequent Contributor
EdGein
0 Kudos

Nah, I've never been charged for web surfing on my Kindle 3G.

--Lynda

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

aerotrike wrote:

Can you explain why BN's store reps can give this answer?

Am I better off to consider returning this and look at the new Kindle? 

-  They offer web access through 3G.

You might let your B&N manager know what happened so they can inform the nook sellers or remind them.

It really depends.  You need to weigh the Kindle (3G web access but being tied to buying from Amazon) vs. the Nook (no 3G web access but being able to buy books from other (non Amazon) sources and being able to check books out of the public libraries). 

If you go with the i-pad and get the 3G, I believe you will have to pay the per month charge for the 3G. 

Contributor
jojosail2
0 Kudos

"I fail to understand the importance to some people of the web access via 3G."

A little snarky, don't you think?

I'm with BonnieH - as far as I was concerned, I only wanted to do three things:

1.  Not have to lug books around any more (A subsection to this one would be to pay less for books, not more.  I buy current books at B&N on a weekly basis from $5-$7 - they are much more online.  Ditto Amazon.);

2.  I want to be able to get books from the library (see above re: cheaper books).  Only Nook does this, apparently.

3.  Be able to access my personal email at work for emergencies, I do not want to browse the web, spend all day emailing, or generally goof off.  Only Kindle does this.

Apparently neither the Kindle nor the Nook will "do it all."  So does this mean I'm stuck with both?

very-simple
0 Kudos

jojosail2 wrote:

2.  I want to be able to get books from the library (see above re: cheaper books).  Only Nook does this, apparently.

Actually, the Sony Readers and the Kobo reader do this as well, as they are both compatible with Adobe secure epub / Adobe Digital Editions.  

I love my nook and wouldn't give it up, but it's only fair to point out that nook is not alone in this feature.  It's really a matter of amazon being stubbornly incompatible with the epub file format/Adobe DRM.  

Contributor
jojosail2
0 Kudos

Thanks, but I already have a kindle and a nook.  Would love to get it down to one, but may not be able to.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

jojosail2 wrote:

3.  Be able to access my personal email at work for emergencies, I do not want to browse the web, spend all day emailing, or generally goof off.  Only Kindle does this.

Apparently neither the Kindle nor the Nook will "do it all."  So does this mean I'm stuck with both?

You can check your email on the nook.  You have to have access to a wifi signal, either your own home wifi (or work wifi if you know the security settings) or a free wifi like at B&N and hundreds of coffee shops, McDonalds, libraries, etc.  You can't check email over 3G, though, if that's what you mean.  I've checked my email on my nook.  I only really did it to see if I could and it worked fine. It might depend what kind of email you have.  I don't know.  I checked my gmail account.

Fran

B&N Bookseller
miffy1157
0 Kudos

bonnie - hopefully you figured it out by now, and didnt return your nook! if you have to check email on the nook just make sure you are connected via wifi. but I use my nook for reading

- Caitlin
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: