Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

z2
Frequent Contributor
z2
0 Kudos

3G Question

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

Would anyone know how to tell if the 3G is having a problem connecting or if there is no 3G available?  I've had no luck with getting my Nook to shop or download without a wifi connection for the last few days.

edit-webbrowsing requires a wifi and shouldn't work anyway.

New User
Flessa
0 Kudos

Re: 3G Question

How many bars do you have for signal strength?  Looks just like your cell phone signal strength bars:

|

|  |

|  |  |

|  |  |  |

|  |  |  |  |

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

So did you answer your won question?

3G is good for Shopping.  If that works, then you have no problem.

z2
Frequent Contributor
z2
0 Kudos

Flessa,

Thanks for the response.  I don't see that icon anywhere on my nook. I'm betting that it should be near the battery and the time.

Icebike.

Thank you to you as well.  No, the shopping and downloading of purchases doesn't work either.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

So where are you?  

Do you get cell phone service where you live?

z2
Frequent Contributor
z2
0 Kudos

I'm located right in the middle of Boston.  So, cell phone service is not an issue.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

The signal strength should be on the top near the time. 

See pdf page 7  http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/nook_Quick_Start_Guide_20100621.pdf

If you don't see it, try a power down and battery remove/reseat and then power up again. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I agree, turn off and turn back on.  Should not be necessary to remove the battery, it is after all running, so its not a battery issue.

Make sure airplane mode is off (it would normally prompt you to turn it off when you went into the shop icon).  (tap the wifi icon to check airplane mode).

Got Sim?  

Have you EVER been able to use 3G with this nook?  

Did it ship without a sim, or with the sim not properly seated?  

z2
Frequent Contributor
z2
0 Kudos

I appreciate the responses.  All of the quick fixes suggested have been tried and the Nook has worked on 3G before.  So, it sounds like a call to CS may be in order.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

That sounds like a plan, because you've exhausted all of the usual causes.

With wifi off, it should just automatically switch to 3G, and if it won't do that something is amiss. 

I'd give them a call.

New User
loneill
0 Kudos

did u ever find anything out?? having the same problem and customer service has been NO help!!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You're addressing a question to someone who hasn't been on the thread since this past June?   You may have better luck starting a new thread.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Although I do have to give them points for searching and finding a thread relating to the problem instead of just posting a new thread (when there is already 4 other identical threads like some).

But I do agree, a new thread, or search for a newer thread (order by date instead of best match on the search feature).

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I absolutely agree that it's great that they used the search.  But once they addresses the question specifically to the person who hasn't updated the thread in a month I started scratching my head a bit... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 46 members 325 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: