New User
mamamrt
0 Kudos

3G broken - Technical support is incredibly frustrating and NO HELP!!!!

What follows is an email sent to Nook customer service after two lengthy phone calls that produced no positive results:

Here's the problem. I know you can review my account from my email address so you can see that I am currently using a replacement Nook sent to me because my original purchase was defective - cracking & breaking at the point of the lower right button.  However, the 3G service on this replacement Nook does not work.

Customer service's response has been to tell me (multiple times) just to use the WIFI connection. That is fine. That is what I usually use. However, as everyone knows, there are times when it is necessary to have the 3G option to connect to shop. That is why the Nook was created with the 3G option!  I do not try to "browse the web" with the 3G. Only occasionally do I need to purchase books or download with 3G. But it is good to have when it is needed. I did not purchase the WIFI only Nook. I purchased the WIFI/3G Nook. It was my choice to pay  about $50 more in order to have the 3G service. I should not be told to "just use WIFI" just because they cannot figure out how to fix it.

Another option (customer service said) is to contact ATT for possible settings changes on my Nook.

REALLY?????!?!!!!!!!!!!??????

Is it my responsibility to figure that out?

Absolutely IT IS NOT up to me to figure out what settings ATT might require for the Nook to connect. Those settings should have been default on the Nook when I acquired it.

I have taken the following actions to try to repair this:

1. Deregistered the Nook

2. Reset to Factory Settings

3. Reregistered the Nook

4. Tried 3G again - No connection.

5.  With coaching from a customer service agent, I forced a Factory Fallback.

6. Reregistered the Nook (using wifi, of course)

7. Tested 3G again - no connection

I have enjoyed my Nook very much with this exception.

I have requested one of two actions.  Either:

1. Replace this Nook with a Nook that has all features functioning properly - including 3G;

or,

2. Kindly issue a full refund for the original purchase price of the Nook at which time I will return the Nook to you and will probably purchase a Kindle. Amazon has been much more helpful to my husband and daughter when they've had problems with their Kindles.I had purposely purchased a Nook upon comparison with the Kindle but have now, due to customer service issues, changed my mind on what is preferable.

That concludes my rant. Has anyone else had similar problems? Have you had any resolution to the issue? Any suggestions as to how to proceed now?

Thanks for your ideas.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: 3G broken - Technical support is incredibly frustrating and NO HELP!!!!

Emailing Customer Service is not likely to accomplish much. The B&N email CS operation is a low-priority (48-hour turnaround) general-information service. Their responses are usually either a quote from the FAQ or "call us".

Your best bet is probably to go to a B&N store. The personnel there can verify the problem and work with Customer Service for you.

Short of that, call Customer Service back and insist on speaking to a supervisor.

Correspondent
Princess_V
0 Kudos

mamamrt

I maybe off base with this, but is it possible that the sim card in your nook is NOT 3G? 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

The sim card that comes with the Nook is for 3g cellular service it also works with edge which is 2g. His problem could be that the sim card is damaged or that the 3g radio is not working.

Princess_V wrote:

mamamrt

I maybe off base with this, but is it possible that the sim card in your nook is NOT 3G? 

New User
mamamrt
0 Kudos

Thanks for your ideas.

The Nook tries to hook up to 3G - I briefly see the bars indicating the effort. However, then the bars disappear and it eventually (about 60 seconds later) says "Network not available."

So, I know it is supposed to be able to have 3G accessibility. It just doesn't do it.

When I last talked with customer service, TWICE I requested to speak with a supervisor but they said, "the supervisor can't take your call."

I will do as the first responder suggested and take it into the Barnes & Noble store tomorrow. Perhaps they can get a better response from customer service.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Contributor
Mondayn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mamamrt:

I'm sorry for your poor experience you've had thus far. In my experience everyone who's come to my store has mentioned how horrible the support is on the hotline. Going to your local Barnes and Noble is always the best way to solve a complicated issue such as this. I hope the staff there will be more readily prepared to take care of your issue. If, however, you don't have any luck with that store please send me a PM and I will see what I can do about it from our end over here.

Thank you.

Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

Have you tried being nice when you actually call them?

New User
mamamrt
0 Kudos

Obviously the tone of my frustrated posting sounds unkind.

However, I have been very nice to them when I've called. I have conversed about the weather in Manila and other less volatile subjects while in the midst of discussion.

New User
mamamrt
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response. I have since received an email response from Customer Service stating "a replacement is probably warranted." It then instructs me to call Customer Service in order to process the replacement.

Looks like this might work out, after all.

Contributor
Mondayn
0 Kudos

mamamrt:

I'm glad to hear it! If you continue to experience any additional customer support problems do not hesitate to contact me via PM so we can attempt to resolve your issue with no further grief on your behalf.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 554 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: