Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

3G connection no longer available on first edition

My first edition Nook no longer connects wirelessly.  This is something I have noticed for weeks now.  I've tried disableing Wi-Fi and making sure airplane mode is off, and still it tells me it cannot connect to Wi-Fi when I try to use it to purchase books without an internet connection.  I know it is old but did something in the last firmware update make it so that it no longer connects through 3G?  Other than that, it works great but what I loved about this first edition was the ability to be able to download books anywhere without worrying about a Wi-Fi connection.  It just seems so odd that all of a sudden it can't do that any longer.  Anyone else ever have this issue?  I bought the little one that has the glowlight solely because I wanted a backlight built in, but that one I knew needed a Wi-Fi connection.  I know for sure I was downloading books originally with no internet at all when this was brand new.  Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: 3G connection no longer available on first edition

[ Edited ]

I've not heard anything about that. You might want to send BN_AlexG a PM.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Marley857 wrote:

My first edition Nook no longer connects wirelessly.  This is something I have noticed for weeks now.  I've tried disableing Wi-Fi and making sure airplane mode is off, and still it tells me it cannot connect to Wi-Fi when I try to use it to purchase books without an internet connection.  I know it is old but did something in the last firmware update make it so that it no longer connects through 3G?  Other than that, it works great but what I loved about this first edition was the ability to be able to download books anywhere without worrying about a Wi-Fi connection.  It just seems so odd that all of a sudden it can't do that any longer.  Anyone else ever have this issue?  I bought the little one that has the glowlight solely because I wanted a backlight built in, but that one I knew needed a Wi-Fi connection.  I know for sure I was downloading books originally with no internet at all when this was brand new.  Thanks.

No, nothing in the last update blocked 3G access.  It's possible that the 3G card in your nook has died.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

3G continues to work on my N1E. It has the last firmware update.
Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

Thanks.  Any possibility you can tell me where that little 3G card is located if I take the Nook apart?  I am guessing it is a card I could replace. 

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I did locate the SIM card and removed it and reinserted it, but still get no 3G connection.  I also went online and had a chat with a B&N rep.  I explained that I have the First Edition Nook and it no longer connects through the SIM card.  Oddly enough, she told me that I will only be able to shop and download through Wi-Fi from now on and that my ability to use the 3G feature is no longer available.  Odd that others still can so it makes me wonder if she knew what she was talking about.  In any case, it would seem the SIM card has died and since it is tied to the serial number of the Nook and support for the first edition seems almost gone entirely, I think I am giving up and just using the Wi-Fi.  It's a shame though.  I loved being able to sit on the beach and shop and download to my heart's content and since I just bought the glow light Nook, I can't see buying another one just to have the 3G feature. 

Thanks for your input.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

You're not the first person CS has told that to. I wonder why they have that in their script when it's clearly not true.  I just feels like a "we don't want to support this device anymore, so tell the customer anything to make them feel satisfied" kind of answer.  It's so frustrating.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Note: a SIM card only identifies the account, the /radio/ module and antenna could fail while the SIM card is still perfect.

Does the WiFi still work? (Though that's possibly a whole separate radio module)

Baron Wulfraed
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

I haven't checked mine recently, so I don't know if it's still working on 3G or not.

But be aware that large e-books cannot be downloaded over 3G. These generally will be e-books with lots of pictures in them. I believe that these can be identified by the line:

Note: This product may take a few minutes to download.

in the Product Description section of the listing page. Also by a File size of 10MB or more in the Product Description.

Here's an example: Bleak House (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

Frequent Contributor
Marley857
0 Kudos

Yes, wi-fi works fine.
Reader
MY-1ST-LOVE
0 Kudos

I also can't use the 3 G feature. I hav e to connect through my WIFI hotspot, and even then sometimes I have trouble.

New User
ScrapperFL
0 Kudos

Just now 01/26/14, 7:58pm EST, shopped a book and downloaded on my 1st edition and I don't have wi-fi connected or in range.  Ver 1.7 firmware.  Have no plans at all of giving up my all time favorite e-reader especially when I can get a new book while sitting right at ocean's edge..

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 569 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: