Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Suke
0 Kudos

3G outside USA?

[ Edited ]

Hi folks, here am I once again, still waiting my Nook to be delivered and already with some more doubts!

I acquired the wi-fi version, but I'm curious about the 3G: will it work in other countries like Brazil? Also, is it a free service? What can I do with the 3G? Can I navigate on the web normally like I would do using wi-fi or is it restricted to buying books at the store?

Also, whenever I buy a book using 3G for example, will I have to pay an extra tax?

Because I've been reading about e-Readers and looks like Kindle 3G is globably (works in Brazil for example) and it's awesome.

Also, are there any downsides in this 3G thing?

Thank you very much!

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Re: 3G outside USA?

I believe that right now the 3G only works in the US (anybody know about Canada?).

It can only be used to buy books from the shop and update the daily.  In theory I think they could push updates to it via 3G, but I know that my nook (got it July 3rd) came with firmware 1.3 and because of the size of the 1.4 update I had to use wifi to get it (or a computer with internet would also work).

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Suke,

When you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such as those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital Library. You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions outside of the U.S.

The NOOK can be used to read ebooks purchased through other sites as long as the format is either PDB, PDF, secured PDF, or ePub.  Additionally, titles can be downloaded and transferred to NOOK via the supplied USB cable.

Having a Canadian billing address and CC would not preclude a customer from placing an eBook order.  When you create an account on BN.com you can input a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address and save them as your defaults.

If you are living in or visiting Canada you can shop our eBook store and download eBooks to your B&N eReader supported devices, including the iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac and PC. This also includes the NOOK.

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time, if you are using NOOK in Canada you will be able to sync to your B&N eBooks library and access our eBook store via Wi-Fi (not 3G).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

Although we are not selling NOOK in Canada (or anywhere outside of the United States) at this time,

But B&N did go to the trouble of certifing the newer two models in Canada..... (Including the 3G model).

So.....

Ray of hope for neighbors to the north...

Contributor
Suke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much!

This is odd... all I read is good stuff about Nook, the downsides are minimal when they appear. People on YouTube seem to be very happy with their Nook, and I also read in a huge tech review website someone who has the 3 most popular e-Readers (Kindle, Sony Reader and Nook) and her favorite is actually the Nook.

So, what am I missing? If it's such a masterpiece and a huge success, how come B&N haven't expanded it's business abroad? 3G in another countries would be a great deal, also letting us buy books from different countries too (I read someone saying that he was European therefore he couldn't use the B&N Library, is that true?).

The software used is so damn good-looking, and the screen is crystal clear for what I've seen. The pages reload pretty quick too, and Nook's DRM and bureaucracy with what you can and you can't put in it is one of the best, as opposed to the Amazon one.

Something just don't feel right... does it have anything to do with the fact that B&N is now for sale? I hope tomorrow with my Nook in hands I will get some answers.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Aside from having to have the NOOK certified for the various regulatory agencies, and working contracts with 3G suppliers around the world, the NOOK's 3G is only usable for shopping at B&N. B&N doesn't currently sell any e-books outside of the US and Canada, and the only major publisher they currently are able to sell to Canada is Simon & Schuster. So there's no point in expanding 3G beyond Canada right now.

The publishing world is one of geographic boundaries, a legacy of printed books. The contracts between the authors and publishers typically are for a specific country or list of countries. Authors typically have contracts with different publishers in each country. This is sometimes required by the laws of the other countries, to protect local publishing businesses and/or to help control "cultural hegemony".

Contributor
Suke
0 Kudos

Oh. Cultural Hegemony sucks. :smileysad:

Thank you for your reply.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Suke wrote:

Cultural Hegemony sucks.

For those unsure what I'm referring to, read here about Amazon working a special deal to be able to distribute in Canada: link. Here's a quote:

Until now, Amazon has been restricted in Canada due to laws that place severe restrictions on bricks-and-mortar foreign-owned businesses operating in certain Canadian cultural industries – including books.

Yes, even the Canadians are concerned about American businesses and culture running rampant in their country.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 1,019 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: