Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
coralumama
0 Kudos

3g connection not working

I have the original Nook black & white ereader and the 3G no longer seems to work. I was without power and an internet connection for a week due to the hurricane and was unable to download books. I kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to the network.

I tried at work where 3G works just fine and still could not get a 3G connection. Can't shop, search, nothing. 

Has B & N stopped supporting the 3G network for those of us that still have the original reader?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: 3g connection not working

coralumama wrote:

I have the original Nook black & white ereader and the 3G no longer seems to work. I was without power and an internet connection for a week due to the hurricane and was unable to download books. I kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to the network.

I tried at work where 3G works just fine and still could not get a 3G connection. Can't shop, search, nothing. 

Has B & N stopped supporting the 3G network for those of us that still have the original reader?

My 3G works just fine, used it last night.  I suppose something could be wrong with the device itself.  Have you tried completely powering the device off (not just putting it to sleep) and then powering back on? 

When you take it out of airplane mode, do you ever see the icon for the 3g signal strength?  Do you have WiFi turned off?  I believe that if WiFi is on, it will default to trying to use the WiFi first.

Reader 4
coralumama
0 Kudos

I did shut it totally down, waited a few mins and then started it back up. I also tried turning off the wifi. 

I just powered it off again, rebooted it, wifi is off and airplane mode is off.  I went in to shop and it still gives me the message "Network Unavailable   Please make sure ou have network connectivity."

What does the 3G icon look like? I always just get the wifi icon (looks like a slice of pie, striped). Now I have no icon other than the battery.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

coralumama wrote:

I did shut it totally down, waited a few mins and then started it back up. I also tried turning off the wifi. 

I just powered it off again, rebooted it, wifi is off and airplane mode is off.  I went in to shop and it still gives me the message "Network Unavailable   Please make sure ou have network connectivity."

What does the 3G icon look like? I always just get the wifi icon (looks like a slice of pie, striped). Now I have no icon other than the battery.

Should look the same as your cell phone.  It's generally small bars in a row, shorter then larger as it goes to the right, the more bars, the more signals.

Google picture of cell phone signal and you'll see some pictures, should look like the green ones, but, of course, not green.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

You have to disable wifi for 3g to work. The nook defaults to wifi if it detects one in the area.

The 3G status icon is 3-4 vertical bars when 3G is active  and is next to where you see the wifi icon.

Assuming you have disabled wifi, go to settings on your nook. There should be two pages in settings. If there is only one page or if any of the entries on the second page say "not available", then your 3G module has failed. This is what happened on my original device.

After disabling wifi and 3G is still not working, regardless of what is showing in settings you will have to call Customer Support for assistance.

Reader 4
coralumama
0 Kudos

I have two pages, but nothing says not available. I'll try customer  customer service. Thank you for help, much appreciated.

Contributor
mapmgr
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.  I, too, hadn't seen the 3G icon in quite some time.  Even though I don't have wi-fi at work, I had to disable the wi-fi option for the 3G to come on.  -- Glenn

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

coralumama wrote:

I have the original Nook black & white ereader and the 3G no longer seems to work. I was without power and an internet connection for a week due to the hurricane [emphasis added] and was unable to download books. I kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to the network.

3G is part of the cellular service in your area. Is it possible, either due to higher cell usage demands during the post-hurricane period or weather-related damage to the infrastructure, that you were just not receiving coverage where you normally would?

Either way, B&N still supports 3G, so this is either your NOOK device or 3G coverage in your area.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

RHWright wrote:

coralumama wrote:

I have the original Nook black & white ereader and the 3G no longer seems to work. I was without power and an internet connection for a week due to the hurricane [emphasis added] and was unable to download books. I kept getting the message that it couldn't connect to the network.

3G is part of the cellular service in your area. Is it possible, either due to higher cell usage demands during the post-hurricane period or weather-related damage to the infrastructure, that you were just not receiving coverage where you normally would?

Either way, B&N still supports 3G, so this is either your NOOK device or 3G coverage in your area.

Also the NOOK requires AT&T 3G or EDGE service, the availability of Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile 3G service will not enable your device to work if AT&T is not available.

New User
edge37
0 Kudos

I have spent the better part of two days trying to get connected.  Since I had downloaded 1.3 version, I could not connect.  I had an explanation mark in the lower left hand corner that said "your password may be incorrect."   I knew it was memorized, but decided this morning to put back in my security key number - the long one!!!   Walla - my Nook color works again.  So if you have tried every thing else - give this a try.  

New User
Meggotty
0 Kudos

B&N has stopped the 3G network for its first reader because it cost them too much money. This I found out from a B&N employee.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Meggotty wrote:

B&N has stopped the 3G network for its first reader because it cost them too much money. This I found out from a B&N employee.

The employee who told you this either was flat out wrong or didn't tell you the whole story.  My 3G is working just fine.  If B&N were to do this, it would likely come with an announcement, and there hasn't been one.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

My 3g is still working as well.
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

DItto, I just checked my 3G connectivity and it works.  That employee was so misinformed.

Lector GS
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 1,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: