Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

4th Fizzles in store

Since Friday myself and others have not been able to "read in store" or access "more in store" at our local B&N east of Pittsburgh.  Great weekend to keep cool, unwind and spend money at the store. ... but no nookie and new cookie. I've put off buying anymore ebooks nooks and cafe items until the problem is resolved

Any other parts of the country with these in-store connection problems?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: 4th Fizzles in store

I was in the store on Saturday and was able to read two different books using the Read-in-Store without any problem.  In fact, one of the books was an anthology with 3 stories, I only really wanted to read one and was able to finish it within my hour.  I'm in SoCal.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

Stores can have WiFi hiccups all the time for various reasons. If anything like this happens your best bet is always to kindly go to a bookseller and ask to speak with the manager to find out if it's a known issue.

Contributor
fmessick
0 Kudos

Anchorage was the same way.  I live 6 hours away so it's a treat to visit the brick and mortar store for me.  I was looking forward to those little perks too. :smileysad:

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

if you should happen to encounter this, by all means bring it to the manager's attention.  Sometimes its an easily corrected issue, and if its not, they would NEED to know as soon as possible

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Contributor
Renee3000
0 Kudos

I just bought my nook last week..Love it so far...funny thing though, when the gal at the nook counter was showing it to me, she stated that the wifi is not reliable "this far out in the store".  The nook counter is set up as you walk in the front entrance off the main mall hallway.  I had to laugh.  Why not put the nook counter where the nook will work????  I know they want to have everyone stop and ooohhh and aaaahhhh, but really.  I heard her say it over and over to the various people as they walked in (as I was deciding).  I just laughed!!!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Renee3000 wrote:

I just bought my nook last week..Love it so far...funny thing though, when the gal at the nook counter was showing it to me, she stated that the wifi is not reliable "this far out in the store".  The nook counter is set up as you walk in the front entrance off the main mall hallway.  I had to laugh.  Why not put the nook counter where the nook will work????  I know they want to have everyone stop and ooohhh and aaaahhhh, but really.  I heard her say it over and over to the various people as they walked in (as I was deciding).  I just laughed!!!

Take a class on I-O Psycology someday.

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Same thing in the store I go to.  Went to the manager and he said they've been having problems.  Nook said I was connected but wouldn't load.  After fiddling with it he finally got it to connect properly and load.  Wonder if the heat we've been having is frying the system.  It is 9:50 AM and already 101 degrees :smileysad: her just outside Philly.

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

I wondered about the heat and weekend overload also.  At least I know I was not alone with the problem because a number of individuals reported the "in store" problems at the nook desk.  I'm hoping now that the holiday is passed, access will return.  Four days without 'read in store' and 'more in store' was not pleasant.  I obviously will not be making any more purchases until this is resolved.

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter
0 Kudos

With the extreme heat this weekend, B&N stores may have had more costumers than usual.  A wi-fi connection will only allow a limited number of users signed in at any one time.  Let's say the store is set up for 25 users at one time, you're number 26 and you won't be able to access the network until an address frees up.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev
0 Kudos

I have seen Wi-Fi problems in general with mine -- including network connectivity problem in-store and at home).  A quick power-down (hold down power button for a few seconds) and then re-start cleared me right up.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 611 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: