Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lynn_Zee
0 Kudos

A Broken Screen???

Has anyone had a problem where your nook was positively not dropped, jarred around, or anything, but the e-ink screen appears to be broken on the edge? It is on the lower left, where the forward button is, I have that "etch-a sketch" look that radiates out, about an inch and a half square with a couple of lines radiating out across the whole screen. Customer Service said I can sent it in, but if it has a crack when it is received there, they won't cover it because there is not a "known issue" with the screen cracking near the forward button. Having worked in a manufacturing facility, I know that there doesn't have to be a known issue. This specific nook may have had the screen placed a fraction of a centimeter too far to the left, resulting in it coming in contact with movement from the page forward button, and eventually becoming damaged/cracked. That is the only thing I can think of, being I am the only person to ever touch it, it has been in a hardcover case since day one, there is no possible way it was dropped. In fact, I read it Friday night, put it to sleep on the endtable, opened it up the next morning to the Bronte sisters (Picture wasn't messed up at all), but when I woke it up, the white splotch appeared. I didn't purchase the extended warranty simply because I knew it would never be josteled around or dropped.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: A Broken Screen???

I believe at least one other person claimed spontaneous breakage. 

Screens can't be placed too far left on this device due to the way its manufactured, (screen sits in a well) but a small foreign object of plastic sprue could have caused a bending force on the screen.  Even if it were such a foreign body under the screen, the chance of it happening to break while resting on the nightstand over night in a case seem vanishingly small.

Unfortunately, you can't tell if there was a foreign body under the screen without forensic disassembly. I am betting the RMA department are not likely to do that level of disassembly, and anyone else doing it voids the warranty.  Catch 22.

This sounds like classic edge impact damage, and I'm betting thats what the RMA people will say.

I would take pictures (close ups) front, and back, with back cover on and off before I shipped it, but my bet is that your home-owners insurance ends up eating this one.

You could post those pictures on Photobucket and get other opinions.

Contributor
Lynn_Zee
0 Kudos

I am simply at a loss... there is no way anything happened to it while in my posession. I guess the only other thing I can think of is if something happened to it when it was made, and 2 months of normal wear finally made it give... I'm so upset, I was completely devoted to (and very protective of) my Nook, loved it so much, got rid of all my books and purchased hundreds of ebooks. I am lost without it! I did take front pics... what would a back pic do, I don't think you can see the screen from the back with the cover off??? I'm scared to try to take the cover off, it's hard to get off and I don't want the screen to break even more. Well I guess if they won't replace it, I won't be buying another; I'll try a Kindle. Sounds like they are more understanding with issues that come up.  I was completely devoted to B&N but am thoroughly disappointed so why not try the other guy...

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

This really is a pointless discussion.  There is nothing anybody here can do to help you.

Call Customer service.   I expect that they will replace it.  I also expect that if they do, they will replace it within days.    You may even be able to take it to a store and get it replaced then and there.

You know something: All tech devices sometimes fail.   It's just a fact of life.   There is not a single device of this sort that will not do this to someone sometime.      They will be able to tell if you dropped it or not and if you didn't, it's a one year warranty.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

GeoffreyF wrote:

This really is a pointless discussion.  There is nothing anybody here can do to help you.

Call Customer service.   I expect that they will replace it.  I also expect that if they do, they will replace it within days.    You may even be able to take it to a store and get it replaced then and there.

You know something: All tech devices sometimes fail.   It's just a fact of life.   There is not a single device of this sort that will not do this to someone sometime.      They will be able to tell if you dropped it or not and if you didn't, it's a one year warranty.

I don't think it will be this easy.  There have been numerous reports on this board where individuals have sent theirs in for replacements for things other than a cracked screen only to be charged and told after the fact that it was determined that they dropped it.  Theses are people who are adamant that they never dropped it or bumped it in any way. 
Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

Jumping the gun a little aren't you? B&N hasn't even seen your nook, and you're ready to condemn them and switch to a different product? Time to take a deep breath, send it in as instructed, write a pleasant note (catch more flies with honey) stating out how well you've cared for it and pointing out the complete absence of damage to the outside frame of the nook as proof. Then see what happens.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:
  Theses are people who are adamant that they never dropped it or bumped it in any way. 

Of course they are.  

Contributor
Lynn_Zee
0 Kudos

Well I'm still waiting for customer service to call me back. I don't know why they have to call me back instead of taking care of it during the first phone call. But I can't send it in until they do, and give me an ID number or something.  I wasn't jumping the gun, I was just upset with the customer service person saying that if they get it, and it's cracked, they won't replace it. Sorry if I angered you with my feelings but I'm going through Nook withdrawl!!!

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

No fun having a new toy taken away, I can sympathize. I have a situation with a Panasonic Plasma, with the same waiting on a call back thing. I'm done waiting, squeeky wheel time, perhaps for you too.

New User
tslroper
0 Kudos

I had a pretty similar issue, though I'm not sure it's a cracked screen. My nook was on my desk overnight (as always) and when I picked it up in the morning the screensaver looked fine (still the default). However, when I powered my Nook on the lower right corner kind of blinked (I'm not sure how else to describe it... it looked like it was changing a page despite being on the home screen) and then settled on a series of black and white horizontal lines like a bar code. Though the area resembling a bar code is about the size of a thumb-nail, the lower quarter of the screen is blurry and only attempts to display images. I called customer support and am sending it in. Have my fingers crossed as I cannot afford to replace my nook. Thought I would offer my experience though, as I saw it happen before my eyes.

New User
tslroper
0 Kudos

And, out of curiosity, has anyone else had a similar issue? Were they able to fix and/or replace it for you? I'm a tad concerned here given that I cant find anything other than this post with anything remotely similar.

New User
KevinW
0 Kudos

Well, after lletting it lie unused for awhile, I turned on my nook tonight to discover that the lower left 1/4 of the screen had stopped working and had vertical lines showing on it. The affected part of the screen is sort of a dirty gray now, and stops sharply in a horizontal line just around the middle of the left page turn button.

Customer support said they'll send me labels, and if it's not a crack, they'll replace it for free, but if it's a crack, they'll charge me for a replacement. I said that if it's not covered, then don't bother sending me a replacement, since I can't afford to drop another $250 on a whim, and they're having me include a note to that effect.

I don't particularly feel ill-used or anything, even if this turns out to be a crack and I'm out a nook. They can't replace every nook out there that someone drops on the concrete. On the other hand, the nook is a pricey toy, and mine lived in a $30 protective case and was gently treated. If it broke under those conditions, well, I'm out of the ebook pool.

In either event, I'll let folks here know how it develops.

Contributor
quillwillow
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue just recently, however it was the entire left side of my screen that was blank, and the e-ink screen was completely unresponsive.  Whether I turned it on, off, scrolled through and clicked the icons on the touch screen (which was working just fine), plugged it in, removed the battery, replaced the battery, reset to factory settings...it did not matter what I did, the e-ink screen kept staring at me with the same half page of the book I had been reading when it spontaneously pooped out on me.

After trying for 2 days to call the 1-800 number (it took me that long to realize that the number wouldn't work from Ontario...) I finally got a hold of Customer Service.  They were immediately helpful.  I explained what happened and they emailed me UPS tags to return the Nook and fired off a replacement immediately.

I did give them my credit card number, they said as insurance should I neglect to send in my broken Nook, but I am also assuming it was so that they could charge for the replacement Nook they sent should it turn out the problem was my fault.  My credit card has not been charged and it has been 3 weeks.  

I wondered that they never asked if I had dropped it, but now wonder if they didn't because they have run across this issue before.

I understand that you probably have the shakes and may in fact be hallucinating happy, e-ink screens scrolling by with delicious words from your favourite book (all the symptoms of withdrawal I experienced) without your Nook, but here is hoping your experience resolves as happily as mine did.

Call Customer Service again...

Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

After a couple of months the white on my screen started slowely darkening. When I turned the page the white space would appear white but then it would slowely change until it was dark grey after a minute or so. *sigh* back to B&N for a third try.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Just ran into the same problem tonight with my Nook.  Woke it up from sleep and BAM! The left side of the screen is gone.  I posted a thread on this forum and am going to call support first thing Monday.  Meanwhile, I've researched the issue online and it seems like it's a fault of eink technology.  The problem is spread across the board, with Kindles, Sonys, and many other ereaders exhibiting the same kind of problem with their screens.  What a shame, I had high hopes for this technology.  I'm hoping to get my Nook replaced as fast as possible.

New User
bdrobet
0 Kudos

Lynn_Zee wrote:

I am simply at a loss... there is no way anything happened to it while in my posession. I guess the only other thing I can think of is if something happened to it when it was made, and 2 months of normal wear finally made it give... I'm so upset, I was completely devoted to (and very protective of) my Nook, loved it so much, got rid of all my books and purchased hundreds of ebooks. I am lost without it! I did take front pics... what would a back pic do, I don't think you can see the screen from the back with the cover off??? I'm scared to try to take the cover off, it's hard to get off and I don't want the screen to break even more. Well I guess if they won't replace it, I won't be buying another; I'll try a Kindle. Sounds like they are more understanding with issues that come up.  I was completely devoted to B&N but am thoroughly disappointed so why not try the other guy...

Don't know about Barnes and Noble CS, but my mom had a kindle for over a year and accidentally smashed it moving her seat back in her car.  She called up Amazon and they immediately sent her another one at no cost and she had no extended warranty.  Barnes and Noble should be the same way, lets hope they are!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support. 

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Well, my conversation with Nook support a few moments ago left me feeling uneasy :smileysad:

As I described in my other post, my nook just quit working, the screen went completely unusable one day, with lines all over, not refreshing, etc. Having done all that the B&N had asked me, the only thing left was to send it back for replacement.

Nothing that would have caused any damage ever happened to my ereader!  I've been most careful with it, having spent close to $300 on it, I considered it a long time invesment. 

I RMA'ed it earlier this week, and received a new one today. 

However, I just received an email from B&N asking me to call them back.  They were claiming the screen was cracked.  WHAT A BUNCH OF LIES!!!

I've heard other people on this board talking about it, but hey, I thought it will not happen to me.  I shipped my old Nook via UPS store, and they packaged it better than anyone ever could!  It was in a sturdy container, wrapped in bubble wrap, and floatng in a "tub" of plastic peanuts.

Theer's NO WAY it could get damaged in shipping either.

So, here I am, silly me, bought my wife a Nook too last weekend.  A second one for this household.  Heard of customer loyalty, B&N?!?  Should I return it to avoid any more of this baloney from your support.

I was told my case has been moved up to corporate.  Somehow, I have very little hope in resolving this case to my satisfaction. 

It just makes me mad that someone can lie so easily, claiming the screen was cracked...  My sreen was not broken when I shipped it to B&N. 

B&N, is it your way of deflecting all the claims lately?

Anyway, I was told to wait another week.  If any of the staff ever check this board, my Nook number is ***0035.

Contributor
No_Spam
0 Kudos

digibrarian wrote:

However, I just received an email from B&N asking me to call them back.  They were claiming the screen was cracked.  WHAT A BUNCH OF LIES!!!

I've heard of this sort of thing happening and I've been going to a B&N store to return our defective nooks to avoid the problem. The first time was a complete nightmare that took close to two hours, one employee actually claimed that the nook broke because we hadn't registered it. But things eventually worked out. The most recent time we returned a nook everything was smooth, easy and quick; I got the sense that they had some practice at the process. So I absolutely recommend going to a store to do your returns.

Contributor
digibrarian
0 Kudos

Problem is, the "broken" one is in possession of B&N.  The new one is in my hands, but I don't think they will accept it back and refund me.  Well, let's hope for the best.  So far, I've not heard back from them. 

Also, how many did you say you've replaced already?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 19 members 206 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: