Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Daniela34
0 Kudos

ADE - user not activated - although both comp/nook authorized

I just got my 4th replacement nook recently and hooked it up to Adobe Digital Editions. I authorized the device and when i plug the nook into the computer the nook icpn shows as a shelf with all my stuff. Books purchased on previous nooks show up but nothing happens if I click on them. Books bought on the current device show an error message as "missing".

I also can't seem to sucessfully move non B&N epub pr pdf ebooks onto the device without getting a "user not activated" message when i try to open them on the nook.

I have tried:

1. deleting digital editions folders and trying again.

2. Restarting my nook

Nothing is working.

Please help.

T-A
Contributor
T-A
0 Kudos

Re: ADE - user not activated - although both comp/nook authorized

Hi, I am getting this same message & having similar problems. Did you ever figure it out? Thanks for any help!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@Daniela34,

Thank you for posting.  We're striving to improve the reading experience and your input is valuable. 

Has your issue been fixed?  If not, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and choose option 2 for Digital Support.  Please let us know if you issue was resolved.

Below are instructions for using ADE...

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

New User
cjbeachgirl
0 Kudos

I have used these instructions and in my nook my book is not activated? What I'm I doing wrong?

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

Have you authorized your NOOK?  How did you put your book onto your NOOK?  I think the best resource for Adobe Digital Editions problems is probably FrogAlum's page "Installing and Using Adobe Digital Editions."  The link should be here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Library...

Hope this helps!

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@cjbeachgirl,

The "user" in ADE needs to match computer to NOOK.  First authorize the computer, then NOOK so the users "match", then download ebooks.  If you downloaded ebooks to an unauthorized computer, it will think that the anonymous/unauthorized user is the "user" for the books that have downloaded, and will read the NOOK as a different user.

Reader 2
cisal80
0 Kudos

Thanks for that link WordsandMelodies! Those directions worked perfectly! I was going to pull my hair out!

New User
KtKE

I'll add what I tried to the excellent instructions Michael-V posted.

What you are supposed to do:

Getting books from the library to your nook

1. get a Barnes and Noble Acct (barnesandnoble.com)
Authorize your Nook (on the nook, it should prompt you but it's also in settings->device)

2. Get Adobe Digital Editions (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/)
Get an Adobe ID (Not sure if this needs to be the same, mine were in the end)
Authorize your Computer in Adobe Digital Editions (Library - Authorize Computer)

3. Go to your public library
Download a book
Open it in Adobe Digital Editions

4. Plug in your nook
It should pop up in Adobe Digital Editions - authorize it

5. Only move stuff to the nook in Adobe Digital Editions or it won't open.

Troubleshooting:

I got the message "User not activated"

This didn't work for me the first time. I think my problem was that I did these things in the wrong order.
What worked in the end for me was deleting the Adobe files off the nook using windows explorer and starting the authorization again.

Plug in your nook
Explore files (E: Nook)
Delete the folders
   .adobe-digital-editions
   Digital Editions
(If you mess this up, you may need to reset your device back to factory settings via settings on the nook.)

If you want to deauthorize a device or computer in Adobe Digital Editions, use the following secret keypresses. You will then need to re-authorize your devices.
Ctrl-Shift-E (deauthorize Device)
Ctrl-Shift-D (deauthorize Computer)

New User
CardinalTN
0 Kudos

I am really excited about my nook.

However, I am having the same problems and I have followed all of the instructions on this message board.

I am trying to not get frustrated because I don't want to lose all of my stuff by restoring the nook to factory settings.

Please help....

New User
firebird68
0 Kudos

I read that the user ID from ADE didn't have to match the BN user email. I can't transfer ebooks to Nook and am wondering if it is because the ADE has one email and the BN has another email. I have removed and reinstalled ADE but I can't seem to deauthorize it so I can change the email.  How do I get the emails to match?

New User
lionessnyb
0 Kudos

Instructions worked like a charm...thanks much, I'm off to read!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

firebird68 wrote:

I read that the user ID from ADE didn't have to match the BN user email. I can't transfer ebooks to Nook and am wondering if it is because the ADE has one email and the BN has another email. I have removed and reinstalled ADE but I can't seem to deauthorize it so I can change the email.  How do I get the emails to match?

You don't have to get the emails to match.

ADE has nothing at all to do with B&N email addresses.

Re-read post number 8 in this thread.  

If that doesn't help, post back with something more descriptive than "I can't transfer ebooks to Nook".   Explain what you are seeing, explain if you authorized the nook or not.  Give symptoms. 

Reader
miacookie
0 Kudos

It worked.  I deauthorized my nook using the 3 keys and then added it again and it downloaded.  Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

miacookie wrote:

It worked.  I deauthorized my nook using the 3 keys and then added it again and it downloaded.  Thanks!

I'm so glad.  (As my signature attests) the library book borrowing is my very favorite  feature of NOOK.

Reader
miacookie
0 Kudos

I deauthorized my nook and authorized it and it works great.  So much for your help.

Dee

New User
exkyreporter
0 Kudos

I'm doing all this on a Mac. I tried the control shift e and control shift d. Nothing worked. I also get the message of user not activated when I try to open library books. Is this a Mac-living-in-a-still-PC world issue? Please help because I am quite frustrated. I'd like to try to read library books on the nook.

Reader
CoryBe
0 Kudos

KtKE - Thank you so much!!! eventually your advice worked for me. I had to delete (actually just copied in case it hosed something) the adobedigitaleditions file you mentioned. That worked... but I also had to do the following:

Close ADE

Disconnect NOOK

1 Download library license file (the one with the weird extension - ACSM or something like that)

2 Open ADE

3 Go to my digital editions folder (where the license file was saved but not recognizable by ADE)

4 Double click (open) the license file (that automatically downloaded the file (I had issues with this earlier where I was getting no response but that was because I had ADE open when I downloaded the file... once I closed and re-opened ADE it downloaded about 40 copies of the book I was trying to read - they all queue up in the task manager))

5 Connect the Nook

6 Copy the file from ADE to the Nook - you must use ADE or it won't work

sigh... dance and sing to the moon... maybe you'll get to read the book.

New User
ReneeUT
0 Kudos

Folks,

If you are trying to install epub/library books from Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and have recieved a "user not activated error" and/or the author of the book on the Nook says "unknown" and is unable to read the two [2] ADE folders on the Nook have become corrupted. 

You need to do the following:

1. Go to My Computer | x:\nook drive and delete (1) Digital Editions & (2) .adobe-digital-editions folders from the nook. 

2. Disconnect the Nook by right-clicking x:\nook drive and selecting Eject Drive & remove usb cable.

3. Open Adobe Digital Edition

4. Reconnect Nook by pluggin in USB cord.

5. Authorize Nook in ADE - This will recreate the folders!

6. Now transfer files back to Nook. *See Note Below. 

Note: Check to make sure the epub files Digital Rights Management (DRM) has not been corrupted by selecting the [Item Info] option from the pull down arrow in ADE.  If the DRM is corrupted, you will need to disconnect the Nook. Delete the corrupted epub books from ADE Library and reinstall those books from the original ACMS file.  *Do this before reconnecting your Nook.  

Backup your Downloads. I suggest you save the ACMS file from the library in a folder on your computer so you don't have to redownload the files from the library website. 

New User
seanrdr
0 Kudos

Success - deauthorizing, removing folders, reauthorizing

Worked

New User
jf_webster
0 Kudos

Mac tips - 

I was trouble with the "user not activated" (I probably did things in the wrong order).  Two things that were unique to mac.

1.  Unregistering the nook from ADE is cmd+shift+e (replace cntrl key with cmd key)

2.  The  .adobe-digital-editions directory could not be seen by default when I explored the nook from my mac.  There's probably a way to make this directory visible but I finally connected the nook up to a windows based PC and blew it away.  Thing worked fine after re-registering via ADE on the mac.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 668 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: