Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Edition Hangs

Lately when I open Adobe Digital Edition at the same time my nook is connected ADE hangs.  It takes forever to read what I have on my nook.

Is there any way to reset everything so ADE sees everything "fresh" again like it used to?  I've already tried removing the ADE directory on my Nook (can't see the exact name at the moment) and uninstalling / reinstalling ADE.  Problem is still there.

Any ideas?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Edition Hangs

I had the same experience last night loading a non-Agency book I bought because Kobo gave a $2 coupon.  Frustrating unnecessary DRM crap.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

At least I'm not alone.  

But what can be done to fix it?

I'm starting to believe that it's a plot to just make us buy B&N books... :smileywink:

Contributor
MiamiCyn
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. I thought it might be just me so I uninstalled and reinstalled, but I had the same problem. I also tried to attach my nook before opening Adobe Digital and after opening it and that made no difference. :-( Hope there is a fix soon for it.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that AlanNJ. Did this just happen 'out of the blue' or after having transferred a book earlier? 

Of course, ADE comes up with a lot of '!' when connected to your nook and looking at your B & N purchased books. It's a bit frustrating that Adobe has not yet updated ADE to properly handle B & N's Adobe-branded DRM. Maybe when they finally update the software things will get better.

In the meantime, hopefully you will get this solved.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Completely shooting in the dark here: did you happen to install the recent update to Adobe Flash Player? ADE runs on Flash, so maybe something went cuckoo there. But I'm not seeing any complaints on Adobe's forum about it.

Something I didn't know that I just found on the ADE forum: Ctrl-Shift-T (Cmd-Shift-T on Mac) is supposed to turn on an error-logging mode. That may or may not be helpful. Added: It pops up a menu where you can turn error-logging on or off. The error log itself seems to be located in "My Digital Editions/error.log".

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

I usually keep the latest Flash updates on my PC.  I keep thinking I need to reinitialize something but I'm hoping to avoid that if I can.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: