Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
statomattic
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Editions Not Recognizing Nook

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if I'm doing something wrong - the Adobe help site is kind of cryptic... it seems to be written by the same people who write the assembly instructions for Ikea furniture.

Anyway, I downloaded my first book from the Sony ebookstore, then installed Adobe Digital Editions so I could try and sideload the file onto my Nook. Supposedly, when you plug the Nook into a computer that's running Adobe Digital Editions, ADE should instantly recognize the Nook and give you the option to authorize it with them. I've tried this with two computers now, and while the computer recognizes and begins to charge my Nook, the ADE program makes no indication that it recognizes my Nook.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can it be resolved? Or alternately, is there any sort of end-around solution to force ADE to recognize and authroize my Nook?

Reader
NoreenKelly
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Editions Not Recognizing Nook

I am having the same issue, but with a twist! When I first tried to use ADE, it did not recognize my nook at all - now, it only recognizes it as media, not as a nook and all my books appear with no cover art, etc, but just grey symbols without the names of the books/book covers, just some type of barnes and noble several digit id number! It's making me crazy - I just don't get it.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

NoreenKelly wrote:

I am having the same issue, but with a twist! When I first tried to use ADE, it did not recognize my nook at all - now, it only recognizes it as media, not as a nook and all my books appear with no cover art, etc, but just grey symbols without the names of the books/book covers, just some type of barnes and noble several digit id number! It's making me crazy - I just don't get it.

You have a NookColor it sounds like.  ADE recognizes the NookColor as Media. The books you buy and download from B&N cannot be read in ADE, thats normal for now.

New User
DrJCRose
0 Kudos

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to share how I solved it in case it helps someone!

Since I spent almost 4 hours trying to figure how to get my Nook to connect to my computer (and I am even computer savvy), I would like to share my solution, which involved the instructions in the link:

http://libanswers.cabq.gov/a.php?qid=47310.

First - I have a Nook Simple Touch (No SD card) and Windows 2007,

My problem? Would not show up in ADE, or in 'my computer'. Of course, I realize that I have a drive G and H already, so I initially tried changing the drive letter (multiple, multiple times), but obviously not to the right ones!

-My other problem was that when I clicked on a drive, it gave an error message of 'please insert disc..."

And YES, my Nook was awake!!

Here's how I ended up solving the problem. not sure if exactly in this order, but close enough!

1) went to disc management and changed drive letters to Y and Z.

2) went to READ section, powered off and restarted Nook, notice it actually made a connection and called it a Nook for the first time!

3) Excitedly completed step 2 in the link. (at this point Nook wasn't staying longer than 1 second in the ADE program)..deleted .ade in folder (because I could finally SEE it to delete it!)

3) Powered down and restarted nook again, making sure I was in READ view (not library or home...)

4) then it showed up and I was able to transfer my library files!

PS. My wi-fi was connected (read about that being a potential problem in forums)

Hope that saves the next person the agony I went through!!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 598 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: