Reader
cougarat
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Editions does not recognize my nook

I bought a Nook April 26, 2010 at the local B & N. In store they upgraded to version1.3.

Adobe Digital Editons will not recognize my nook. I've tried two computers; uninstalled & reinstalled ADE, unregistered & registered my Nook, and finally called customer support. They say ADE does not yet have an update for version 1.3.  The tech suggested restoring to factory settings thinking the nook would revert to version1.2  Not so. Version 1.3 is back. Really would like to borrow books through my local library. Any suggestions?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Editions does not recognize my nook

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you that ADE defintely recognizes my Nook using 1.3.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

I doubt 1.3 is the problem.  How about some more info; Is the nook recognized by the computer, is ADE activated and the computer authorized are the first things that come to mind.

Reader
cougarat
0 Kudos

restarted ADE one more time, rebooted my Nook, and EUREKA! ADE now has nook in the bookshelves

Reader
cougarat
0 Kudos

Ed_Mart, yes to all. My computer saw nook as a device, ADE was authorized. When I restored to factory settings, restarted both nook and ADE, nook did appear in my bookshelves. Thanks for the reply

Contributor
suziswaff
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem!!  I have plugged and unplugged my nook several times and have opened and closed ADE several times!!  I still can't find my nook in ADE.  Any suggestions??

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

suziswaff wrote:

I am having the same problem!!  I have plugged and unplugged my nook several times and have opened and closed ADE several times!!  I still can't find my nook in ADE.  Any suggestions??

Once you start plugging and unplugging and nothing works its time to reboot the computer all the way to power OFF.  Systems often lose track of USB ports when devices come and go too often or too quickly.

Some people report better luck with having the nook plugged in before ADE launches, some report the opposite, so try both.

Power down the nook, all the way to white screen too.

Contributor
suziswaff
0 Kudos

I have rebooted my computer 3 times and turned the computer off and I've started my nook several times.  I have tried it by opening ADE first and then plugging in my nook, I've tried plugging in my nook and then opening ADE.  I've tried it all several times and it still won't show up.  Any other suggestions???

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

When you plug in the nook does it show in Windows Explorer?

What version of Windows are you running?

Contributor
suziswaff
0 Kudos

The computer recognizes my nook--it is drive d:.  I have windows vista.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

And I assume you are up to date with all your Vista upgrades?

Contributor
suziswaff
0 Kudos

I think so--it ran several updates today when I was shutting it down to restart for this!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Very strange.  I've run out of Ideas, and can't find anything on Google either regarding ADE not seeing USB devices, neither on ADE's site or Microsoft's.  

You might uninstall ADE and re-install a freshly downloaded copy of ADE.  You shouldn't lose any content doing this.  

I can't think of any reason why the system can see the device but ADE can't.  There was driver conflicts between iTunes and other devices in the past, but current versions of iTunes do not seem to have such issues.  

I know that ADE works with version 1.3 just fine. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

New User
hongloumong
0 Kudos

Here is what I did with the helps from this blog:

1. plug the nook and delete the fold ".adobe-digital-editions". (make sure backup files to your computer first). 

2. Remove the nook from the computer.

3. Open Adobe Digital Editions

4. Plug the Nook to the computer

5. The ADE will recognize the Nook and the Nook icon displays in ADE

6. Authorize the Nook.

7. you can transfer books now!

New User
kateoh
0 Kudos

Until today, I have had no problems transferring files from ADE to my Color Nook.  Now if I connect my Nook after opening ADE, the Nook is not recognized.  If I I connect the Nook to the computer first, then try to open AED, the program is unresponsive.  The little circle keeps going around and the application never fully loads.

Yesterday, I downloaded a kid's drawing App from B&N that pretty quickly froze up.  I think the problem relates to this if only because I never had a problem before downloading the App.  I deleted the App at the B&N website with my Nook synched, but the App remained on the Nook, so I archived it.  I've downloaded a new copy of Digital Editions, turned the computer off and restarted it, and shut down and restarted the Nook.  I've tried everything.

New User
myrkele
0 Kudos

New User
handbasket
0 Kudos

No - the Nook doesn't show up in Windows Explorere - Windows 7.  I get the USB pic on the Nook screen and ADE shows up but there is no "Nook" under bookcases.  Any help would be wonderful.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

handbasket wrote:

No - the Nook doesn't show up in Windows Explorere - Windows 7.  I get the USB pic on the Nook screen and ADE shows up but there is no "Nook" under bookcases.  Any help would be wonderful.

try turning the Nook completely off, then back on and reboot your computer.  If Win7 doesn't see it ADE probably won't either.  When you disconnect the nooof from the computer do you eject it first?  I always right click on the Nook drive in win explorer and select eject rather than using safely remove hardware from the system tray.

New User
mountainmystic
0 Kudos

ADE did not recognize my nook — till i rebooted!

Same problem here, back and forth trying to get ADE to recognize my Nook. Finally decided to reboot and that did the trick!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:59 members 541 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: