Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MustReadNow
0 Kudos

Adobe Digital Editions - user not activated

I downloaded a library book using ADE.  I set up an Adobe ID and activated it on my Windows 7 PC.  I was also asked to activate my Nook when I plugged it in.  I moved the book, an ebook I borrowed from a library, down to the Nook folder in ADE.  I watched a video tutorial which was very helpful.  However, now when I try and open the book on my nook it says user not activated.  I have deleted the book and retried this several times.  Help!

Contributor
MustReadNow
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Editions - user not activated

FYI,

There was a similar post about 3-5 hours ago.  I followed the instructions on one of the links before I even began and ended up with this problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

Some times you can fix this by removing the folder called .adobe_digital_editions (yup, it has a leading DOT in the name).  Just delete the entire folder, and maybe the folder called Digital Editions too, since you never got a successful transfer.

Do this with the regular File manager without ADE running.

Then Re-launch and it should allow you to re-authorize the nook.

Also be careful about Ejecting, (not safely remove).

Contributor
MustReadNow

Okay.

ADE is not running.

My nook is off.  I plugged it in to the usb port of the computer.

Clicked on "open file folders" when it recognized the nook.

Deleted folders .adobe_digital_editions and Digital Editions directly off the nook.

Clicked "eject hard drive" and received message safe to remove nook.

Unplugged nook.

Powered off nook. Powered on nook.

Digital book gone. Powered off nook.

Plugged nook into usb port of computer.

Opened ADE software.

Clicked authorized device.  (During this a popup would flash and disappear repeatedly - after watching several times it said document is not authorized and gave a number - then I clicked authorize and it stopped flashing.)

ADE "your device successfully authorized"  - clicked Finish.

Dragged my library book to the Nook folder in ADE.

Looked in the Nook folder in ADE - my library book is there along with 47 other titles.  However many of them say author unknown and have no pictures.  This looks different than the tutorial I watched.

Closed ADE. Ejected Nook from PC.

Opened library, my documents on nook.

Opened library book.

Hooray - it worked!  All that documentation above was in case it did not work. (My IT training - document everything!)

Thank you! Thank you!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

MustReadNow wrote:

...During this a popup would flash and disappear repeatedly - after watching several times it said document is not authorized and gave a number - then I clicked authorize and it stopped flashing...

Looked in the Nook folder in ADE - my library book is there along with 47 other titles.  However many of them say author unknown and have no pictures.  This looks different than the tutorial I watched.

(FYI, since you seem to have gotten it working) This is perfectly normal.  While B&N has given Adobe permission to upgrade its own DRM system to work with the newer social DRM developed by B&N and Adobe, Adobe hasn't done it yet for ADE, so any books on your nook from B&N will get a pop up error for each of these files saying that the document is licensed for a different user.  The file name will be the ISBN of the book (which is the title of the book file on your nook), but you won't be able to access these. These pop-ups go away on their own after a few seconds (which is what the "flashing" you refer to is).  At the end of that sequence, the separate box asking you to authorize your nook popped up.    

Going forward, ADE will only give the error warning for any new B&N content that you've got on there (it "remembers" the old stuff even if it can't read it).  It's harmless.  

New User
FL_reader
0 Kudos

Thanks so much!  I was having the same "user not authorized" message on the nook.  I tried your suggestion and it worked!!!

New User
thegwynch
0 Kudos

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  You have no idea how many customer service people I have spoken to in the last week!  It was as simple as deleting the adobe digital from my nook and NO ONE had any idea.  I was told you must have installed it wrong!!

I truly appreciate your help!!

New User
longhornfan
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the information.  I was having the same problem.  I deleted the .adobe file and recopied the book to my nook and voila!!!

New User
Jade24
0 Kudos

Thank you soooo much!  This worked perfectly.

New User
jrwill223
0 Kudos

This worked for me!  Thanks so much for your help! :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
CowgirlSyl
0 Kudos

Thank you for this FABULOUS step by step direction.  I check out library books onto my nook often but wanted to put one of them on my daughter's nook.  I kept getting the "user not activated" message.  After much frustration, I found your directions and followed them EXACTLY.  It worked perfectly... Wish I'd found this post a long time ago! THANK YOU!!!

New User
HugoToledo

Re: Adobe Digital Editions - user not activated -- PLEASE "LAUREL" those who help you...

Hello all,

This is my first time here. I was impressed by how easy it was to find the solution.

I highly recommend anyone who is helped by a solution to take the time to click on the "laurel" icon for the reply that provided you the answer.

In the case of this thread, I gave two laurels, one to icebike, who provided the solution and one to MustReadNow, who, having had their problem resolved, went the extra mile and documented for the rest of us the solution.

Thanks to all of you who make communities like this one effective!

Hugo

New User
Mom23sweetps
0 Kudos

Re: Adobe Digital Editions - user not activated -- PLEASE "LAUREL" those who help you...

Finally got this fixed!!! Cannot even begin to say how happy I am!!! It took me a while to figure out that I had to first go to My Computer and then click on the drive with my nook connected to get to the folder to delete. Then I followed the instructions step by step . . . to great success!! Oh the relief!!

Contributor
MissHeather
0 Kudos

You saved my night! I got a replacement nook, and knew I needed to "attach' it somehow. Could not figure out how! Thank you, thank you. --Heather

New User
Izzytug
0 Kudos

It's not working for me! Help!

I've tried this method - which has apparently worked for everyone else - probably about 20 times now with no success. I have a Mac, does that make a difference?

I can't find a file called .adobe_digital_editions. I only have one called Digital Editions.

When I check the status in the ADE software, it says the Nook is authorized. I've unauthorized it and authorized it again (following all of these steps again) and I still get the error that says "User not activated" on my Nook when I try to open the book.

PLEASE HELP! It's been taking me so long to figure this out, I only have a week left to read the book that took weeks of being on a waiting list to get. I'm so frustrated

Reader
Patjaaron53
0 Kudos

You absolutely rock!  I followed your instructions to the letter (I am embarrassed to say that I did not know there was a proper way to eject and not just unplug the thing).  It worked.  Many, many thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Izzytug wrote:

It's not working for me! Help!

I've tried this method - which has apparently worked for everyone else - probably about 20 times now with no success. I have a Mac, does that make a difference?

I can't find a file called .adobe_digital_editions. I only have one called Digital Editions.

This is your problem.  You need to either "Show hidden files" or use a terminal window.  Larry links to the explanation in this post.

Reader 2
avhogan27
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for posting this! It worked for me. :smileyhappy:

New User
vsk236
0 Kudos

Thanks so much that worked!! :smileyhappy: Thanks so much!
New User
Cubby51
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for the detailed and easy to follow instructions. It worked and I now have my book. Can you explain why this happened? I had previously transferred books from the library with no problem. Will this problem happen again? Well, I am ready if it does thanks to you,

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 711 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: