Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

After loading books into My Documents, I cannot see them on my Nook

I have a couple of epubs (free samples from authors) that I did not purchase from B&N. I used ADE to sideload the books into My Documents folder. I can see them in the directory, however when I use my Nook, I cannot see them in My Library. I've checked for new content, took out the batter and restarted, and called Tech Support. I still cannot see the books.

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to figure it out?

Thanks.

Contributor
pkathy98
0 Kudos

Re: After loading books into My Documents, I cannot see them on my Nook

Just saw your post - sounds like the same problem I just posted.  No answer on mine yet, either.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ths only time I had this problem, it turned out that I hadn't tapped "View My Documents" in the library menu so was looking in the wrong place.  Since that doesn't seem to be your problem, try rebooting your NOOK.

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

I've restarted, un-registered and re-registered, took out batter and put it back in....nothing is working. I've talked to Tech Support twice and getting really frustrated. Now they are saying it may be the type of file. Even though it's an ePub. Doesn't make sense to me at all, I've never had problems before.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

diana247 wrote:

I've restarted, un-registered and re-registered, took out batter and put it back in....nothing is working. I've talked to Tech Support twice and getting really frustrated. Now they are saying it may be the type of file. Even though it's an ePub. Doesn't make sense to me at all, I've never had problems before.

Try sideloading them without using ADE.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Did you get them?

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

No, they still won't show up. I've tried using ADE, Calibre, and just copying into My Documents without using any software. I have no problems downloading any books, purchased or samples, from B&N, which really makes me wonder what is going on here. The last tech support person said it may be the format of the book. It's an ePub, which should work fine. Getting really frustrated though, I should be able to check out library books without a problem and not have to buy every book.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I'm going to ask a dumb question, and I'm sure you are, but here goes.

Are you sure you're looking for them in the "My Documents" library?  When you tap on "My Library" have you scrolled all the way up and tapped "Go to My Documents"?  Then, have you tapped "Check for new contents"?

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

No dumb questions! But yes, I have done that. I've done it plenty of times before and it's worked fine. I just downloaded a different book from Google ebooks, it was a free book, just to see if it would load and that one is also not there. I was able to delete some books and when I unregistered and then re-registered my Nook, those books were successfully delted, but the new ones still don't show up.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Have you checked the filename to make sure it conforms?

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

Not sure what you mean about the file name. The one I just tried is titles Great_Expectations.epub.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

diana247 wrote:

No dumb questions! But yes, I have done that. I've done it plenty of times before and it's worked fine. I just downloaded a different book from Google ebooks, it was a free book, just to see if it would load and that one is also not there. I was able to delete some books and when I unregistered and then re-registered my Nook, those books were successfully delted, but the new ones still don't show up.

So you see them in your My Documents folder when hooked up to your computer, but when you unhook the Nook and try to use your books from My Docs on Nook, you don't see anything right?

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

LibroAmante wrote:

diana247 wrote:

So you see them in your My Documents folder when hooked up to your computer, but when you unhook the Nook and try to use your books from My Docs on Nook, you don't see anything right?

Correct :smileysad:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

What version of the software is on your NOOK and are the docs on your onboard storage or on an SD card?

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

What version of the software is on your NOOK and are the docs on your onboard storage or on an SD card?

It just updated the other day, it's version 1.7.0. I don't have an SD card, so it's loading on the main drive.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Could be there is a corrupt file in the My Documents folder. This will prevent the Nook from indexing the folder correctly.

Delete all files in the My Documents folder, search for new content to index the folder, and put them back one (or a few at a time) to find the problem file.

Contributor
diana247
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Could be there is a corrupt file in the My Documents folder. This will prevent the Nook from indexing the folder correctly.

Delete all files in the My Documents folder, search for new content to index the folder, and put them back one (or a few at a time) to find the problem file.

THANK YOU!!!! I was going crazy....it was weird because even when I was deleting books using Calibre or ADE, they were still on my Nook. I found a culprit, it was a book I downloaded from a website, supposedly free, but now that I think about it, ever since I downloaded that one, is when I had problems. So now legitimate books are loading for me.

Thanks again!!!

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

diana247 wrote:

geertm wrote:

THANK YOU!!!! I was going crazy....it was weird because even when I was deleting books using Calibre or ADE, they were still on my Nook. I found a culprit, it was a book I downloaded from a website, supposedly free, but now that I think about it, ever since I downloaded that one, is when I had problems. So now legitimate books are loading for me.

Thanks again!!!

Yay!!! So glad to hear you are back in business. 

Thanks for sharing geertm, now I know what a corrupt file can do to your Nook. 

New User
jaybird1944
0 Kudos

I just had a similar problem: I transferred several epubs to my NOOK Glow SD card with Calibre, and they didn't show up at all, even though the files showed up in Calibre and by exploring with My Computer.  Cycling the NOOK did nothing.

This DID work:

1. Went to Library
  2. Pulled up My Files
  3. Selected Memory card, then back to NOOK Files

Searched on the books, and there they were!  I have 3,200 ebooks on the NOOK, virtually all public domain, and the recatalog only took a few seconds.  This worked for me, and I hope it works for you all.

BTW, I also have the problem with losing page numbers, so anytime I go to Home, or hook up the the computer, I take a second and write down the #.  Go to page solves the problem.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 207 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: