Reader
truewt
0 Kudos

All New Nook - After Hard Reset, unable to register!!!!!

I contacted the helpdesk regarding an issue with faint fonts, helpdesk asks me to do a hard reset. After a hard reset is done, I couldn't register! Helpdesk offers to clear my s/n and email account off their data base, but I am still unable to register!

I am based outside the States, but this shouldn't be a problem as there are tonnes of Nook users overseas who are able to go past the registration process, besides I had been successful in my registration before! It was after the hard reset that my nook died!

Another note, my wifi was turned off before I did the hard reset, and there's currently no option to turn it on now (if it doesn't turn on after the hard reset..)

I NEED HELP! MY NOOK IS DEAD AS OF NOW!

Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

Re: All New Nook - After Hard Reset, unable to register!!!!!

Can you give more details about what you mean by you can't register? Is the screen just blank or is it the wifi that is the problem? Which nook do you have I'm assuming its the first generation? We need more details

Reader
truewt
0 Kudos

Hi there,

My Nook STR, after a hard reset (recommended by helpdesk at nook chat) refuses to register me at step 4 of the registration process. It just gives the error message and asks me to try again or contact Customer Support (which is of no use)

The staff has claimed that the failure is due to my Nook's S/N being associated to my B&N account, and right now after hard reset, it is unable to register (since it is trying to register a registered Nook). He has since cleared their records, but as of now, I am still unable to register on my Nook!

I am unable to ask for a replacement as I am out of the States where B&N is unable to ship Nooks, I got this as a gift from a friend holidaying in the States awhile back..

I strongly believe that I had corrupted some files in my Nook (from the hard reset) and repeated hard resets doesn't do the trick - I've tried to hard reset numerous times but the Nook STR still fails the registration.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

truewt wrote:

Hi there,

My Nook STR, after a hard reset (recommended by helpdesk at nook chat) refuses to register me at step 4 of the registration process. It just gives the error message and asks me to try again or contact Customer Support (which is of no use)

The staff has claimed that the failure is due to my Nook's S/N being associated to my B&N account, and right now after hard reset, it is unable to register (since it is trying to register a registered Nook). He has since cleared their records, but as of now, I am still unable to register on my Nook!

I am unable to ask for a replacement as I am out of the States where B&N is unable to ship Nooks, I got this as a gift from a friend holidaying in the States awhile back..

I strongly believe that I had corrupted some files in my Nook (from the hard reset) and repeated hard resets doesn't do the trick - I've tried to hard reset numerous times but the Nook STR still fails the registration.

Try sending a PM to Sam Levine, the board moderator, she may be able to help you.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Worth a try:

Log into and open your account info page on the website.  Next to the Digital Management section is a link for "My Nook".  Is your device still listed there?  If so, then click on deregister there as well.   If this was the case, your device should now re-register as the system does not think it is already attached to an account. 

If this was not the case then I got nuthin'  :smileysad:

Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

Trying to register it or do a hard reset is futile at this point however all is not lost! Register with the same email and password that you originally had before the hard reset. This should allow you to get into the nook. Let me know if this works if not I'll think of something else!

Reader 2
Jenn1982
0 Kudos

Hi

I received a hand down nook touch from my friend. she reset the Nook touch before passing to me.

Now I also encounter the same problem on unable to register the nook under my account. I wasn't able to use it because i'm now stuck at the setup page :smileysad:

Can some kind soul advise what I should do?

Thanks

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Jenn1982 wrote:

Hi

I received a hand down nook touch from my friend. she reset the Nook touch before passing to me.

Now I also encounter the same problem on unable to register the nook under my account. I wasn't able to use it because i'm now stuck at the setup page :smileysad:

Thanks

Did she de-register it?  She should check and see if it is still registered to her account.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Jenn1982 wrote:

Hi

Thanks

The name you enter has to be the name on your account not necessarily your credit card. I ran into this a couple months back. There is no middle initial on my account but there is on my credit card.

If the device is still registered to the original owner either;

• Register the device to original owner's account again then unregister the device in settings.
    • Have original owner call customer support and have BN unregister the device from her account.
Reader 2
Jenn1982
0 Kudos

thanks bklvr896 & gstone

I have already check with B&N and managed to get the nook touch unregistered.

However, i'm still unable to register the nook touch. The customer service representative from B&N told me it could be a wifi problem and ask me to try another wifi hotspots?

i'm not sure how true it is cause the nook was connected to the internet as indicated on the nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

It is not clear from your description what is going on.

When the nook is turned on what screen is displayed?

Reader 2
Jenn1982
0 Kudos

Hi gstone

I'm stuck at the setup process for my nook touch.

After I key in my B&N loggon details for step 4, i keep encountering error message that states that " we have difficulty in setting up the  device. Please contact helpdesk"

then I have the option of "power off" or "reset" the device.

I have confirmed with B&N that the nook touch is no longer registered under previous owner.

The B&N customer representative suggested that I should go try other hotspots to register the nook touch.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Jenn1982 wrote:

Hi gstone

I'm stuck at the setup process for my nook touch.

After I key in my B&N loggon details for step 4, i keep encountering error message that states that " we have difficulty in setting up the  device. Please contact helpdesk"

then I have the option of "power off" or "reset" the device.

I have confirmed with B&N that the nook touch is no longer registered under previous owner.

The B&N customer representative suggested that I should go try other hotspots to register the nook touch.

Do you know what process was used for a Factory Reset?

It sounds like a Factory Fallback is required at this point. That erases the installed firmware and restores the firmware the nook shipped with.

To perform a Factory Fallback;

1. Power off the unit.
    2. Power on the unit.
    3. As soon as the screen starts to change hold the power button down until it shuts down again.
    4. Repeat this 8 times and the device should start installing the original firmware.

Once that is done you should be back in setup again.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

btw, the only way I can find this thread is to look in my history. BN is modifying their forums and I assume your thread has been moved to an area that is not yet available.

Reader 2
Jenn1982
0 Kudos

Thanks gstone

I will try it out.

Enjoy your day!

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 309 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: