New User
jeffbrowning
0 Kudos

Annoyingly, my Nook is now dead

Yesterday, I got up and went to read my Nook and found that the screen was frozen. I tried all of the normal steps to get it going, i.e. held down the power button for 20 seconds, and so forth. Nothing doing.

I also noticed that plugging the Nook into power did nothing. No light came on in other words. I regarded that as a bad sign.

I called B&N customer support and eventually reached Nook technical support. They were not able to get the Nook going either. The diagnosis was a dead Nook.

The only things I have done recently were to add some data to My Documents (a PDF to be specific) and simply read the Nook fairly incessantly. Since I am on a business trip (in Shanghai, China), the Nook has been my constant companion. I have tons of time to myself, unfortunately, and thus tend to read the Nook pretty much non-stop, while riding on the subway, eating, etc.

Having said that, I am kind of mystified as to why my otherwise faithful friend (which has been rock solid other than a few random reboots), has suddenly keeled over and died.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

B&N is replacing the Nook as a warranty replacement, so that's all sorted. But I am down a Nook until mid-week next week. This especially hurts, as I have a 13 hour flight back to the US tomorrow and will not have my Nook to keep me company.

It would really help to know if there is anything I do to keep this from happening from now on. What did I do wrong? Is there a trick here?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Jeff

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

Re: Annoyingly, my Nook is now dead

My condolences for your dearly departed NOOK.

I don't know what might have caused your NOOK's untimely demise, for if I did, I imagine I could be making boucoup bucks in a very different career than the one in which I am currently employed. However, since you mentioned that PDFs were the only new additions you can think of, perhaps you could use a program like Calibre to convert them to EPUB prior to loading? I know not so very much about file types and the pitfalls of each, but it seems to me that file conversion might pick up on any corruptions that might cause harm down the line.

New User
DCguide
0 Kudos

Nook, R.I.P.

Last night my Nook exhibited funny behavior.  When I tried to turn it on, the touchscreen lit up white and stayed that way for a long, long time.  No buttons worked.  I eventually plugged it in, since it was the only thing I could think of to do.  I wrote an email to tech support, and haven't gotten an answer yet.  This Nook was purchased just a month ago (July 5) and nothing untoward has happened to it.  It hasn't been dropped, it hasn't had anything new loaded onto it since I got to Russia in July 20, and it's been working fine until now.  The touchscreen light went off eventually.  This morning the Nook is dead, dead, dead.

I bought it specifically to have things to read on my lengthy travels this summer and am irritated that I have weeks to go without anything much to read (I'm not very good in Russian, and I do prefer to read in English).  What I can do with my time is write, and I'm writing a blog "Travel Tales."  It's at http://timashev.blogspot.com

Sooner or later I'll write up my experiences with the Nook.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DCguide wrote:

I wrote an email to tech support, and haven't gotten an answer yet.

E-mail support is 48-hour turn-around. If you want a timely answer, call them. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. Outside of the US, call 1-201-438-1834.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

jeffbrowning:

You're describing a NOOK with no power. The battery is not functioning. The battery may be toasted, it might not be connecting properly, or it might be run way down.

I don't know what all you've done with Customer Support. At the least, you should try removing the battery overnight, which they say will allow the battery to "reset", and then see if it will charge when you put it back in. Be sure that it's making good contact. Remember that it can take half an hour or more of being plugged in before the unit becomes responsive and the yellow charging light comes on.

Another simple possibility is that the power adapter or USB cord has died, thus preventing any charging from occurring. If you've got a computer you can plug the NOOK into, see if it will start charging from there (if so, then it's the power adapter).

The NOOK can be charged with most micro-USB charging systems, so you might find a cell-phone charger that would work. That probably would be a relatively slow charge, but at least it might get you going if the problem is the charging equipment.

New User
DCguide
0 Kudos

I'd like to express my gratitude to Doug Pardee.  My Nook isn't yet working, but at least I now know how to check the battery (the problem didn't seem to be with the power adapter or USB cord).

I was also delighted to see Doug's posting of "surprises."  Since the Nook isn't working, I can't check the manual (ah, I didn't check the website for that, just thought about the inaccessibility of my own internally stored copy).

New User
DCguide
0 Kudos

Hurray, my Nook lives

I don't know whether the fact that my Nook sprang back to life is the result of following Doug Pardee's advice, or whether it is due to my saying "abbra-ca-dabra."  Anyway, I'm happy now!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

jeffbrowning wrote:

Yesterday, I got up and went to read my Nook and found that the screen was frozen. I tried all of the normal steps to get it going, i.e. held down the power button for 20 seconds, and so forth. Nothing doing.

I also noticed that plugging the Nook into power did nothing. No light came on in other words. I regarded that as a bad sign.

I called B&N customer support and eventually reached Nook technical support. They were not able to get the Nook going either. The diagnosis was a dead Nook.

The only things I have done recently were to add some data to My Documents (a PDF to be specific) and simply read the Nook fairly incessantly. Since I am on a business trip (in Shanghai, China), the Nook has been my constant companion. I have tons of time to myself, unfortunately, and thus tend to read the Nook pretty much non-stop, while riding on the subway, eating, etc.

Having said that, I am kind of mystified as to why my otherwise faithful friend (which has been rock solid other than a few random reboots), has suddenly keeled over and died.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

B&N is replacing the Nook as a warranty replacement, so that's all sorted. But I am down a Nook until mid-week next week. This especially hurts, as I have a 13 hour flight back to the US tomorrow and will not have my Nook to keep me company.

It would really help to know if there is anything I do to keep this from happening from now on. What did I do wrong? Is there a trick here?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Jeff

Maybe not so dead.   It doesn't take power to display the screen, so your screensaver may have been showing but your nook was simply OUT of power.

I presume, but don't know...did Customer Support tell you to plug it in and leave it plugged in for at least 3 hours before you might see the charge light come on?    If your battery is dead, that is what you'll have to do before you will see the charge light come on.

And if you're charging from a USB port on your computer, it may take even longer than that.

Be patient, plug it in overnight...then see what happens.

---------
Don
New User
LordSerch
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Doug! I was really scared when my Nook didn't start up, it was just frozen with my wallpaper and it didn't reset. I remember that before the latest update, instead of displaying the wallpaper, there was a message saying that the battery was really low, wasn't it?

New User
JenE1
0 Kudos

My Nook died too after only a month of ownership.  I didn't even download any PDF's - just Ebooks.  I hope I didn't buy an expensive piece of junk but that's what I think I did.  I called Customer Service - they are of no help.  I'm taking it back to the store tonight - I hope they provide a satisfactory answer otherwise I will be blogging on my FB against buying one of these things. 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@JenE1,

Can you please supply more details?  How was Customer Service of no help?  When you state that your NOOK is dead what exactly is happening/not happening?

Try this...

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
WILaniMK
0 Kudos

The same thing happened to me & I called tech support.  They were amazingly helpful and did not embarass me when it was discovered that I had worn down the battery.  I read a book for an entire day to finish Uncle Tom's Cabin.  When I clicked it off, it appeared I had power left but it died shortly after I turned it on again.  Need to wait 25 minutes into recharging before turning it back on when it is totally worn out.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:107 members 614 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: