Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
mikayla9
0 Kudos

Anyone have a bug-free NOOK experience?

Almost 13 months of Nook experience, over 100 books read.  The Nook has been a constant pain.  Sideloading books, resetting, repartitioning, cracked screens, now e-ink failure on replacement Nook. Out of warranty now, so I am left screwed. I will not be buying a replacement. 

I am curious, has anyone had a trouble free Nook experience? From reading this forum and others, it seems not.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone have a bug-free NOOK experience?

mikayla9 wrote:

Almost 13 months of Nook experience, over 100 books read.  The Nook has been a constant pain.  Sideloading books, resetting, repartitioning, cracked screens, now e-ink failure on replacement Nook. Out of warranty now, so I am left screwed. I will not be buying a replacement. 

I am curious, has anyone had a trouble free Nook experience? From reading this forum and others, it seems not.  

I've had mine for a year now, trouble free.  No freezing, no cracked bezels, nothing.  I sideload books but I don't find that a pain, it takes about 3 minutes normally, and I love reading library books. I have several friends and co-workers with Nooks, none of them have had any problems either, nor do any of the ever visit these boards.  

Keep in mind that people rarely come to forums to post how wonderful a product is or to report they are having no problems.  People come to forums because they are having problems.  I would suspect that the posters on the forums represent less than 5% of all Nook owners.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I have had my NOOK 3g/WiFi since February and it has been bug free. It has never been anything but a joy to use.
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Mine has been trouble-free...love it!

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Nook purchased in February needed to be replaced in October due to cracked bezel; otherwise, no problem with either one.

Many people search out these forums because they are having problems.  

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I haven't had any trouble with mine, either. For about a week in November I couldn't get any books to download from home, but I think it had something to do with my internet connection since it self corrected without my doing anything. I don't consider it a bug since I don't think it was a problem with my nook. I've never even had to reboot it for any reason. I sideload books all the time and have no issue with that since I get a lot of books from the library and places other than B&N, though I do get plenty of books from B&N. I do hate ADE, but that's hardly B&N's fault. I didn't even have trouble during the holidays getting books from B&N on my nook via wifi.

Fran

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Had my 3G/Wifi nook since last February, no major issues (ie cracked bezel, eink failure, etc).  These are help forums, people come here looking for help with bugs not to hear about all of the wonderful reading experiences others have had.

Also, sideloading is not that hard.  Using a program such as Calibre makes sideloading as easy as using an iPod and loading it with iTunes.

Frequent Contributor
Blue_Owl
0 Kudos

My nook was pre-ordered back in the day, and  I've been a delighted user since the first week in December, 2009.

Sideloading is pretty simple for me thanks to the very helpful "techies" on this site and Nookboards.com.  

I carefully researched all ereaders before I made my decision to buy a nook, fully knowing that a first generation electronic device could have issues.  I was prepared to deal, but, to my delight, I've not had anything I would consider ditching my nook for.  The battery life has improved since the last update as has the page turning.  

My nook is aces in my book.  Pun intended.  I wish many more people could have such an experience.

"Always remember, never forget; wherever you go, there you are."
Reader
Zoe143
0 Kudos

Yep, I have.. Got my Nook 3G/wifi in February and have had 11 months of bug free use. I get my books from the library and ABSOLUTELY love the convenience - no late fees, no driving to pick up books.   I have travelled with it and love having 6-8 books in my purse.  Wouldn't change to any other e-reader!

Love my NOOK!
Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies

No problems here.  I'm sorry you had such a hassle, but between these boards and the User Guide, I've been able to troubleshoot everything.  The only problems were user error, not my NOOK itself.  I've been sideloading since my second week, and never found it difficult or time consuming.  I think I had to reboot once, and that fixed everything in under a minute.  Now if only my computer had a track record like that...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I would suspect that the posters on the forums represent less than 5% of all Nook owners.

With over 2 million NOOKs out there (counting NOOKcolor), 5% would be about 100,000 people. I  doubt that even 1000 people have registered complaints here, so that would be 0.05%.

Me, no problems with the hardware in 10 months. Occasional software bugs, but that's life in the modern world—everything's beta. :smileytongue:

Ditto for my wife's NOOK.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Doug_Pardee wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

I would suspect that the posters on the forums represent less than 5% of all Nook owners.

With over 2 million NOOKs out there (counting NOOKcolor), 5% would be about 100,000 people. I  doubt that even 1000 people have registered complaints here, so that would be 0.05%.

OK Doug, I admit, I didn't do the math, I just put a number out, but I would agree with you, it' probably way less than 5%.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

I had Nook classic for about 8 months and then gave that to my niece when I got a Nook Color the day before Thanksgiving.  I have never had any problems with either device.  I've not even once felt any need whatsoever to  call B&N Cusotmer Service nor take my Nooks into a store to be  looked at.

Reading these boards however sometimes makes me think that  I must be one of  the luckiest people on earth. But I know that can't be true.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Mostly.  The battery that shipped with my NOOK Wifi was a dud, but a replacement and I have no problems reading exactly what I want, when I want, other than budget.  :smileytongue:  I managed to bend the tip of the charging cable (where the rubberized end wraps around the micro USB) and I'm replacing that, but that's from shoving the cable in my pocketbook all the time.  I don't blame B&N for that; it happens with all sorts of chargers.

I, too, wonder if fate is just being nice to me?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

mikayla9 wrote:

Yes, I've had a bug free nook classic experience since April when I got it and a bug free experience with my NC which I got about the 22nd.

That is the device itself.   There have been a couple of issues with THIS website and my online library....but none of it is or was a big deal.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
dino_v
0 Kudos

Chiming in to agree that I have had a trouble-free experience with Nook Classic and that people generally don't take the time to post online about how good things are!

--
dino
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Had mine since August. No problems whatsoever.

New User
CrystalNC
0 Kudos

I have had mine for 3 months and it has been nothing but a pain!!

I wouldn't recommend NOOK to ANYONE! In fact, I have gone out of my way to post on several public forums how crappy this item was and how even more crappy Customer Service was!!!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

CrystalNC wrote:

I have had mine for 3 months and it has been nothing but a pain!!

I wouldn't recommend NOOK to ANYONE! In fact, I have gone out of my way to post on several public forums how crappy this item was and how even more crappy Customer Service was!!!

you say: "...I have gone out of my way to post on several public forums how crappy this item was..."

that's an interesting way to reach out to experienced nook-ers for advice and assistance.

How far "out of your way" on several forums did you go to get some help?..I see that you have...wow!...a whole two (2) posts on all B&N forums

'nuff said...good-bye,troll...

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 283 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: