Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Benji30
0 Kudos

Australia

Can you buy the nook in Australia?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Australia

No.  B&N does not ship outside of the US.  In addition, you can't by ebooks from B&N while in a foreign country unless you have a US credit card and address as well as a US IP address.

Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

*cough* Though there are many ways to aquire one. I live in Australia and mine is winging its way to me as we speak. Thankfully I have a relative in America that can mail it to me, but many services will offer to send it to you as well. USUnlocked (http://www.usunlocked.com/) is one that comes to mind but there are many around.

As to the above poster stating you need a US credit card and address... I successfully purchashed my Nook using an Australian Credit Card and a US address. And buying eBooks is the exact same, just need my Australian Credit Card, any random US address and an online proxy service. I find Codeen (http://codeen.cs.princeton.edu/) works really well in that regard.

Reader
SaraE87
0 Kudos

I also live in Australia and know colorware will send the nook to me here in Australia. I'm willing to purchase a nook from them but I do want to make sure that I can actually purchase ebooks first and download them onto the nook. So what you're saying is that you're using an Australian credit card but putting some random US address and you are able to download the ebook onto your computer here in Australia, is this correct? Thanks heaps for your help I really want a nook!!

Frequent Contributor
TogTogTogTog
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Getting books onto the Nook is easy. The only thing you cannot currently do (thats revelent to this discussion) is buy and download books from the B&N Store through the Nook. Instead you have to download the books from B&N's Store to your computer then move them across. Its an extra step.

If you want to test if you can download books though... just go look for a free eBook on B&N. Say http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Unsuspecting-Mage/Brian-S-Pratt/e/2940000691182/?bnit=H&cds2Pid... and try and download it to your computer. It'll ask you to enter your credit card etc. for control purposes, but it won't charge you anything because its free. Then after it works that book will be synched with your B&N account. Next time your Nook access the local Wi-Fi here in Aus it will download it straight to it... or you can just download the book to your computer and copy it over to your Nook using the cable.

Personally I use Calibre for moving my books to my Nook (usually books from other websites or google etc.) as it can convert pretty much any book type to the ePub type that Nook uses.

Edit: Just tried purchasing the exact same book in my link. And I can confirm it works with a credit card but NOT a debit card.

New User
dutchie72
0 Kudos

Ordering the Nook and downloading from Australia or any country outside the USA is really easy through US Unlocked. Read this blogpost and follow the steps:

How to order a Nook and download from Barnes & Noble from outside the US

I have done it myself and it works seamless and smooth plus excellent customer service from US Unlocked.

:smileywink:

New User
loytor
0 Kudos

No longer works - for me anyway
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

loytor wrote:
No longer works - for me anyway
You are responding to a 2 1/2 year old thread and things have changed since then. You should search for more recent posts for how to download outside the US.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 252 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: