Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

B&N's In-Store Network (or lack thereof)

What the heck? One of the BIG selling points for the Nook Vs. the Kindle is the in-store "Specials" that are available via the nook. I went to the store and I could browse the store but download NOTHING. When I asked a store rep the only answer I was given was, "Oh... that is because there are so many people are here on their laptops. You can turn off the Wifi and go Cellular." Um... NO. Yes, I CAN do that.. but then the access to the "specials" is not there. I had full signal strength in the store and the nook had an IP. There is no good reason for it to not work. If I can get it to work off of TWC's crappy network at home it should work in the store that sells the product. I would be more tolerant of the situation if perhaps it was an anomaly but the way the guy at the store talked it is an ALL THE TIME thing with the nooks at that store. I take it nobody working at in the IT department at B&N has heard of QoS? Perhaps you should give preference to network access to MAC addresses from the product you sell.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: B&N's In-Store Network (or lack thereof)

Not all stores have this working yet.

In store wifi is handled centrally, (just like starbucks) and the local manage has virtually no involvement in that part of the business.  

If you had an IP that is all you need.  You don't need any preference assigned to your device.  You already successfully got an IP.

If you couldn't download that is a totally different problem, as likely to be due to your account settings as anything else. 

What exactly were you expecting?

What you get in each store varies.  In some stores you can read extended excerpts from books for an hour.  Others might have instore special pricing, etc.  The web page about More in  store clearly says "Soon you will be able th read entire ebooks for free".  

Contributor
Tx_Mel
0 Kudos

Went to my local BN store last Friday. They were having the same problems. After you selected a more in store free download it would say network unavailable. The manager was on the phone for 45mins with IT. When I said I had to go she hung up the phone & said she would follow up. That was a waste of time waiting for that long if she wasn't even going to stay on the line. She said it might have something to do with the new update. While on the phone she searched the message boards for help. MB said to unload then reload your credit card info. I did that when I got home went back later that weekend. No change.

I aslo added the cupcakes and other free items to my ewish list thinking I could try and download them at home. That didn't work either. I hope this problem gets fixed fast. The arrival of nooks in-store starting tomorrow this isn't looking too well.

Contributor
mountainkimmie
0 Kudos

I've had the same problem.  Free offers allowed me to select and confirm, but then I got the "Network Unavailable" message.  This happened on two separate occasions over the last two weeks.  They really need to get this fixed.  I was also given the same excuse of "too many people using the wifi".  But it can't have been that, because I had full signal and it was all functioning until it actually came time to deliver the offered item.  The idea behind giving Nook owners special "in store" deals is to, duh, bring them into the store, in the hope that they will then spend more money in the store.  I actually *would* probably spend more money in the store from time to time.  But not if I feel I've been subjected to a classic "bait and switch."  Of course, I don't really think that is B&N's intention.  But the result is the same until they get this working or stop extending the offers they can't fulfill.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Just returned from B&N with same error message for free content; could, however, purchase a book w/no trouble.

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

Icebike, I was expecting the advertised functionality of the Nook to be present.  This isn't something they said "Coming Soon" or "At Participating Locations" this is a feature they use as a comparison to the Kindle.  Well... as you can see from other responses in this thread it is NOT isolated.  

And don't give me the "what do you expect from Bleeding Edge Tech" or "don't be an early adopter" stuff.  I have TWO gen1 iPhones and several other Gen1 Apple products and I am used to expecting a certain amount of suq to be present in Gen1 products.  WiFi access is not rocket surgery and can be done by the simplest devices these days.  This is a fundamental flaw.

Since B&N was selling the Nook with the advertised functionality of WiFi at their stores they should have beefed up their stores in advance.  Not like they didn't have enough time to do it.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Over the months I've had this nook I have been picking up clues as to how the nook ties in to B&N's computer system.  These are things they would never tell you, but you can kind of tell it works differently than you expect.

When you go to the Shop on the nook (or on-line) you are working in their point of sale system.  When you buy a book, it handles the sale.  When you change your account info it records this.

The sales and the account info is then sent to a whole different computer system that handles book delivery.  This system has your "Endless Bookshelf, archived books, etc).

If that part fails, you get Network Unavailable messages.  (Dumb message, I agree).  Basically the delivery computers have no record of you owning that book, even though the sales computers do.  There is a right-hand-left-hand disconnect that occurs occasionally.

This is why deleting and re-entering your account information some times fixes things.  It re-sends this info from sales system to delivery system.

This is why some things fail.  The transaction some how gets lost, of the free in-store transactions between sales and delivery are not yet working perfectly. 

This is also why going to your Web account, archiving and then un-archiving can sometimes fix these problems.

These two distinct computer systems could be all running on different hardware or the same hardware, be in different cities, or simply different racks in the same computer center.  Could be different databases  or different regions of the same database.  Hard to tell from the outside.  

But it is clear that some book-keeping transactions are getting lost occasionally.  The re-appearance of some long ago deleted (not archived) books in many people's accounts just prior to release 1.2 shows that there is some attempt to cross-correlate the systems.  So I have no doubt that it will get corrected. 

So @Tx-Mel, your cupcake will appear on your breakfast table one of these days.  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

went_postal wrote:

Icebike, I was expecting the advertised functionality of the Nook to be present.  This isn't something they said "Coming Soon" or "At Participating Locations"  

Do I need to post a link for you to where it STILL says SOON?   

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

Old deleted books showing up can easily be answered... There was a restore from a backup at some point.  Which... I am okay with.  At least that means they are backing up their servers.

However, the right brain/left brain thing... something that should have been vetted out long before release.  That is NOT a Beta Booboo.  That is just silly.  (BTW... I work in the computer industry as an Escalations Engineer for a Fortune 100 company so I know a little bit about this stuff myself).

The other thing about updating the account...  That is silly.  When I got home I went in and downloaded a free book just fine.  The problem is when accessing while my nook has the fancy B&N logo up at the top.  

Someone let a Monday Detail slip into their code.  Ooops.

It's not THAT big of a deal but they should REALLY fix it if they are going to promote the Brick and Mortar position of the Nook Vs. other e-readers. 

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

went_postal wrote:

Icebike, I was expecting the advertised functionality of the Nook to be present.  This isn't something they said "Coming Soon" or "At Participating Locations"  

Do I need to post a link for you to where it STILL says SOON?   

Yep...   cause according to this:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/moreinstore/?cds2Pid=30195

The only Soon is what new features in the MoreInStore section are coming.  That ENTIRE page implies that it works at their retail locations.

From the page:

"Available exclusively to nook owners, More In Store content can be seen by bringing nook into any Barnes & Noble cafe or store. Once there, nook will automatically connect to the Barnes & Noble Wi-Fi network. More In Store will appear in the Shop area of nook at the bottom of the page. Selecting the More In Store image will list all the content available for download to nook."

What part of that says it is coming soon to stores?  The More in Store thing appears... can't download anything though

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Enjoy nook in Barnes & Noble.

Visit the store, turn on your nook, and see what pops up on your screen. It's as simple as that. You will get exclusive content, special discounts and more. And soon, you will be able to read entire eBooks for free at your local Barnes & Noble. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/?  Bottom of page.

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Enjoy nook in Barnes & Noble.

Visit the store, turn on your nook, and see what pops up on your screen. It's as simple as that. You will get exclusive content, special discounts and more. And soon, you will be able to read entire eBooks for free at your local Barnes & Noble. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/?  Bottom of page.

I wasn't trying to read entire books in B&N (which is the feature your link says is SOON).  I was attempting to look at some of the fancy articles and in-store specials.  NONE of the things in the MORE IN STORE section on the Nook would download at all.

So if it is COMING SOON why do they have that section available for viewing via the Nook at all?

I visited the store... I turned on my nook...  I did see what popped up on my Nook.  Of the exclusive content I could not view any of it.  (neither could others that have replied).  None of that is part of the "Coming Soon" in that paragraph.  

Contributor
mountainkimmie
0 Kudos

Yes, reading entire ebooks for free while in the store is "coming soon".  This is meant to duplicate the usual browsing experience one can have in a bookstore, where you can pick up any physical book in the store inventory and read it in the store before buying.  The special More In Store Offers are supposed to be for deals on *purchased* content.  These offers are being presented as though they are available now, but then fail to deliver to the customer.  They are not being shown as a "coming soon" feature, but as one that is available right now, both in their advertising and on the Nook itself when you go into the store.

Contributor
went_postal
0 Kudos

mountainkimmie wrote:

Yes, reading entire ebooks for free while in the store is "coming soon".  This is meant to duplicate the usual browsing experience one can have in a bookstore, where you can pick up any physical book in the store inventory and read it in the store before buying.  The special More In Store Offers are supposed to be for deals on *purchased* content.  These offers are being presented as though they are available now, but then fail to deliver to the customer.  They are not being shown as a "coming soon" feature, but as one that is available right now, both in their advertising and on the Nook itself when you go into the store.

EXACTLY.  Thank you.  =)

Frequent Contributor
SmilinGirl
0 Kudos

Copied from another thread:

mlfoley012 wrote:

Had anyone else had troubles when they went to a B&N store? I have been in mine twice now and am unable to buy or download any free material.  I can browse and see what the in store specials are but when I try to buy something it comes back with an error message.  I am not having any trouble at home so I'm not really concerned about it but just curious if others were having issues. 

Yes, I had the same exact experience today in my local B&N in Elizabethtown, KY!  The clerks at the information desk stated that other customers had reported the same, but they didn't know anything more than that.  I had the WiFi and B&N symbols at the top of the screen and Airplane mode was off, so everything should have worked.  I have the v1.2 and this was my first trip to the store with my nook, so I don't know if the issue is related to the 1.2 release, or if it was a problem in the store.  Sounds kinda hinkey if you experienced the same exact thing at another B&N location.

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx
Contributor
Cindysue48
0 Kudos

I did not have that problem.  I went to the store this weekend.  It connected to the network.  It offered me a 10% discount on CDs for showing my Nook and a variety of articles.  I downloaded the cupcake article and another one.  When I went home, they showed up fine.  This is in Tucson.  Perhaps it is just store-related.  

Contributor
boardoe
0 Kudos

Yesterday I was able to use the in-store network at New York City's Lincoln Center B&N, although I had to manually join the network through the WiFi setting screen on my Nook.  After joining, the in-store specials appeared in a box at the bottom of the first "Shop" screen and I "bought" one of the free short stories which downloaded to the Nook when I went to "update BN library content".  I would also note that I was sitting in the Café area and there were many people using laptops, with no apparent degradation of network availability. 

Before the Nook ever existed I would occasionally find the open WiFi networks, which have long been provided at B&N stores, down (same thing happens at Starbucks, btw).  Store personnel were usually clueless to provide a reason why.  The networks are locally provided and maintained (I believe by AT&T?), so I am not surprised to find the seemingly spotty availability reported in this thread.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

At my local store (Town Center in Lenexa, KS), you can get on the network and see the Specials but you can't download them (network connection failed...) I tried several spots within the store and then made sure I stood where the signal was strongest. I could not download any of the Specials. When I was trying again, a sales associate came up and said she'd had that complaint all day and she called AT&T about it. They said they could see people on the network so nothing was wrong. To me this explains it all -- the problem is with AT&T, not B&N, and from what I've experienced with AT&T, that sounds typical.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:

At my local store (Town Center in Lenexa, KS), you can get on the network and see the Specials but you can't download them (network connection failed...) I tried several spots within the store and then made sure I stood where the signal was strongest. I could not download any of the Specials. When I was trying again, a sales associate came up and said she'd had that complaint all day and she called AT&T about it. They said they could see people on the network so nothing was wrong. To me this explains it all -- the problem is with AT&T, not B&N, and from what I've experienced with AT&T, that sounds typical.

No, you have it wrong.

You said yourself you could get on the network and see the specials.

Therefore, you've proved it is not At&T.

This is clearly a B&N issue between the Sales side of their system and the delivery side.  The error message is clearly wrong.  Connection did not fail.  

What failed is that the delivery side of B&N did not get the memo that you were eligible for the book.  Some people have even reported that these freebes, when "purchased" for free in the store, will download the next day at home.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

The purchase was never completed. It always stopped before that.

Gee, overdo it much with the emphasis?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 235 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: