Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lone_horse
0 Kudos

Battery Problems

Hi-

I am getting very frustrated with my nook.  I actually timed how long the battery lasted yesterday.  It went for 2 1/4 hours before I got to 4%.  I put it to sleep 4 times.  It was always in airplane mode.  The bottom screen timer is set to 10 seconds, the reading screen is set to 20 minutes.  I have let it down down to critical once.  I alwyas wait until it says "Low Battery" to charge and usually go a little past that.  (When I did let it go to critical, it froze on that screen, btw, and it took me forever to unfreeze it.  The next day it frove in USB mode when I wall charged it.  I can't explain that one.)

So, I want to know why it is not getting remotely close to the advertised 10 hours.  I know no one gets 10 hours, but I want to get better than 2 hours.

Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Battery Problems

What were you doing when you timed it yesterday for two hours?

If you were just reading, that is terrible performance.

I would power off (all the way to white screen) and reboot it, then charge to 100% and watch it again for a day with airplane mode on. If it again drops to 4% at the end of two hours you need to call CS and get that battery replaced.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

The NOOK's battery is designed to restrict power once fully charged; this feature allows the user to leave the device charging unsupervised. The orange light indicator (located at the bottom of the device) will turn off when the NOOK is fully charged; also restricting the power source. 

With regards to setting "high and low battery levels"; our developers have provided these charging recommendations to maximize battery life. 

*Partially discharge the battery rather than fully discharging it. For example, charge your NOOK when you see the low charge alert, rather than continuing to use it until it turns off itself. 

Avoid high temperatures if possible for use and storage
*charge the battery half way before storing your NOOK for a week or 
more. 
*Turn your NOOK off for storage. If you are going to store your NOOK for
more that a week, turn it off. 

You can leave the device plugged in, and it won’t ruin the battery. Allowing the battery to discharge and then fully charge from time to time will extend the overall length of the battery.  However, this won’t be noticed until after several charges.

Contributor
lone_horse
0 Kudos

Ok.  I powered off.  Now it won't come back on.  *sigh*  this is getting real old.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@lone_horse,

Ok.  Try this...

Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.

Initial conditions:  Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure. 

Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.

1)      Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery.  To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed.  A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.

2)      Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.

Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.

3)      Remove the battery from the NOOK for 15-30 minutes.

4)      Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds.  This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.

5)      After 15-30 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.

6)      At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet.  Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.

Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”

New User
PreviousNookLuvr
0 Kudos

New Nook for Fathers Day 2011! Yay! Oh, wait a minute, less than 3 months elapses and all of a sudden my battery won't hold a charge. After two yet to be fulfilled promises from the English challenged tech support chat team of a new battery in 3-5 business days; I have given up hope that Nook support a) cares, b) really has a battery available, or c) is laughing at how an American spent $200 for the Nook and cover and now can't use it. Anyone know the best Kindle to buy?!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Do you want help or just to gripe?  If you want help, which Nook do you have, the N1E or the N2E?

New User
andreawood
0 Kudos

Any suggestions?

Overnight my battery dropped 15%, while it was asleep. That just doesn't make sense to me. My charge isn't lasting 3 days, whereas when I initially bought it, it would last a month and my amount of reading hasn't changed in comparison.

Any suggestions on how to fix the battery life?

Side note, I don't live in the States anymore, so visiting a  B&N isn't possible...yeah not so great when having problems with electronics.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

There are two possibilities. First you have a defective battery. Not much you can do but exchange it if that is the case. Second, the meter is not telling you the truth. Let it discharge completely and completely charge it a couple of times. If that doesn't fix it, it is time to send it back.

New User
andreawood
0 Kudos

Thank you! I will give it a try. 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 230 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: