Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

Battery life seems to have improved with update.

I updated version 1.2 yesterday. After my download and install my battery was at 95%.  I read for 8 hours yesterday and so far 5 today and my battery is currently showing 72% charge with airplane mode on.  That is 13 hours of heavy reading and only lost 23% in charge.  Prior to update I was lucky to get 10 hours total.  I just turned on the wifi and shopped around for about a half hour and the battery only dropped an additional 4 %.  If I did that before the update my battery would have drained.  So far I am impressed but I am going to keep an eye on it.  Others experiences are welcome here.

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

Re: Battery life seems to have improved with update.

I am seeing a strange issue. My nook refuses to charge above 95%.

It's been stuck at 95%, while being connected to wall-wart for more than 2 hours.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

EagleEyez wrote:

I am seeing a strange issue. My nook refuses to charge above 95%.

It's been stuck at 95%, while being connected to wall-wart for more than 2 hours.

Not unusual.  Just use the nook till you get the battery warning. 

Then continue using it till it gets down to like 2% or so and then fully charge.

Frequent Contributor
AmyK67
0 Kudos

pitbull42 wrote:

I updated version 1.2 yesterday. After my download and install my battery was at 95%.  I read for 8 hours yesterday and so far 5 today and my battery is currently showing 72% charge with airplane mode on.  That is 13 hours of heavy reading and only lost 23% in charge.  Prior to update I was lucky to get 10 hours total.  I just turned on the wifi and shopped around for about a half hour and the battery only dropped an additional 4 %.  If I did that before the update my battery would have drained.  So far I am impressed but I am going to keep an eye on it.  Others experiences are welcome here.

I noticed slower battery decrease too. I read for a couple of hours last night and a couple today and I am still in the 80% range. Before the update two days of that much reading put me in the lower 70% to 60% range.

Contributor
nonsuch-reader
0 Kudos

Hi, I am a nerd. I monitored my battery usage by % with version 1.1.0 and I am now following the same experiment with 1.2.0. So far I have found that while 1.1.0 used about 8% and hour while reading (so for example from 100% to 92%), 1.2.0 is using only 6% (100% to 94%). Battery usage also seems to be far more consistent. It has always been .1% per minute while reading, where 1.1.0 was all over the board. Sleeping also seems to be using less battery but it is not consistent. This has only been the results for one day though so things may change. Hope this helps!

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

nonsuch-reader: airplane mode on or off?  wifi on or off?

Contributor
nonsuch-reader
0 Kudos

Airplane mode on so no wifi or 3G.

mos
Frequent Contributor
mos
0 Kudos

Acutaly mine is using less battery, when i have airplane mode off and wifi on. But I'm not in a 3G area, so maby that is way it is not using that much battery.

I have my wifi all the time on and the airplane mode off. The Nook only uses the wifi connection, if I check stuff in the shop or open the Daily button.

so long,
mos
Frequent Contributor
jnicho
0 Kudos

pitbull42 wrote:

Wow - thanks for posting your results.  This is really promising.  I have not done an official experiment with mine yet with v. 1.2, (since my Nook was around 35% when I got the update, and I don't like charging until the battery gets below 5%), but I did notice that it took 5 hours of reading and a massive amount of time on the touchscreen for me to drain my battery.  I was a happy Nook owner to begin with, but extended battery life will make me even happier!

Contributor
mandohack
0 Kudos

Okay, for this being an e-ink display it uses no battery while displaying a page.  Granted, the nook is still using some battery for things like waiting for a swipe or button press, the display is not.  A better test of battery life is going to count page turns, since that is when the e-ink display uses energy. 

Thanks for the positive posts though.  I, too, have noticed that the battery usage is much better after the 1.2 update from 1.1.1.

Contributor
arazil
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I thought I'd share my post 1.2 battery experience.  When left sleeping in airplane mode for 8 hours, the charge decreased by 7%.  When I completely shutdown the nook for 10 hours, there was no decrease in battery charge.  This would seem to indicate some rogue processes taking place while the nook sleeps.

Peace,

Arazil

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

After getting 1.2 - my battery life is more like nonsuch's than Pitbull's/Jnicho's. That is - some improvement, not dramatic.

I am averaging 6.7% an hour when reading (about 1 page a minute, airplane on, extra small font).

It is loosing about 0.25% an hour in sleep mode (also airplane on).

This is better than before but still not great .... If I run the battery down to zero can I recover without taking the battery out? I think the answer is no but I havent seen a definitive respnse ....

Some quirky behaviour - after I charge to 100% (light goes out, check charge in settings) and I remove it from charge the charge drops to 98% after a few seconds (doesnt seem to matter how long I leave the charger in after the charging light goes out). I have also noticed a few times that if I go to settings and wait a short while (several seconds) the charge drops a couple of a percent (possibly because when you go to settings it then asks for a charge update so what you get first is a bit out of date?). I also sometimes get the phantom screen updater in sleep mode - I have started to note the screen saver when it goes to sleep... I occasionally go back to it to find a different screen.... and I have once seen it "wake up" and go back to sleep on same screen saver... again - I keep it in airplane mode unless I am downloading/shopping

Contributor
nonsuch-reader
0 Kudos

Ok, so I finished my battery experiment and what I have found is that in 1.1.0 I was losing an average of .51% an hour in sleep mode (.0085% a minute) while in 1.2.0 I am losing .43% an hour (.0072% a minute). So some how they have made it lose less battery when asleep. But while reading in 1.1.0 I was losing 6.55% an hour (.1091% a minute) and with 1.2.0 the overall average was 6.9% an hour (.115% a minute). So the rate lost while reading has actually gone up. This is all with airplane mode on the whole time. This has still led to an extra day or two between recharging for me. Just thought it was interesting (though admittedly very nerdy...)

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

@nonsuch

Our results seem pretty similar (6.8% +/- .1%? ) but both much worse than Pitbulls..... Pitbull - can you post how many pages you read? Font? Did Pitbull get a great battery and we got poor ones (and should maybe as for replacements? Ideas?

Frequent Contributor
phillyburb
0 Kudos

I have experienced this quirky behavior as well: changing screen savers while in sleep mode.  When I put Airplane mode to off to go to The Daily or to Shop for less than 5 minutes, I lost 15% of my battery....from 98% down to 83% in less than 5 minutes...that's crazy! 

Frequent Contributor
dieterpops
0 Kudos

Coming from a Sony, battery life has been the biggest disappointment for me. I used to get 2-3 weeks on a single charge. Last night I charged my nook to 100%, then immediately turned on airplane mode. I read for 20 minutes, then put he device into standby. This morning, I turned on my wireless for less than 5 minutes to download the WSJ. I read the Journal for about 25 minutes with wireless off, then put the nook into standby. Right now, the device shows 67%. This is my third battery charging cycle. Screen brightness is at 2% and I have the lowest possible settings for timeouts.

I love the industrial design of this device and I know that B&N is working on a fix to this. Right now, it is rather amazing how different the Sony and B&N are at power managment. I also had a Sony 900 for about a week and got better battery life with the wireless on 100 percent of the time and using the touchscreen 100 percent of the time Quite frankly, it's making consider a return before the 14 day period runs out. Having an ebook that you have to worry about charging every couple of days diminishes the experience for me. I know others have had better experiences, but that does not mean that I, along with others have not had good battery experiences.

Frequent Contributor
jigray3
0 Kudos

I haven't noticed any differences in battery consumption since the update, though I haven't had my nook very long. While certainly not optimum, I last recharged 6 days ago with about 8 hours of use in airplane mode and am now down to 17% on the battery as we speak. I don't like to recharge until the battery falls close to 5%.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

My Canon camera manual says that several charge/discharge cycles are required for the battery to get to full efficiency.   The improvement  in battery life may be partly due to this effect.

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

I got one of the first nooks (Dec 8th....) and have gone through lots of charging cyles (including letting the charge go down very low to "calibrate"). I have not seen significant improvement - I am still getting only about 10 hrs of reading, airplane mode on, touch screen at lowest intensity, shortest possible times on before sleep etc....  Relaible data showing people getting much better read times from their batteries (hours reading, page turns) would help me decide if getting a new battery would likley improve things...

New User
Ohputhiecat
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but HOW do I download the update? My NOOK keeps telling me I have an update available, but I just can't seem to figure out. Any help would be appreciated :smileywink:

~Thx

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 82 members 712 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: