Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Dragohunter
0 Kudos

Big Nook web browser problem

[ Edited ]

My sister was using my nook for a web browser for not a very good reason and now my web browser stopped functioning, when I click the web tab on the touch screen I get a "Browser exited unexpectedly" and a bunch of details like it says that it won't display the last site visited which may have caused the problem and loading a web page so on and so on" and then it returns automatically to the nook homepage with the wallpaper randomnly. If I press the "ok" selection on the touch screen and I get a blank page with the tab options for going to different sites that you usually see but in a few seconds it exits and goes back to the nook homepage.  Do I reset factory settings or something and if I do, does that delete all the files I put on my nook?

And I use my web browser a lot so there hasn't been a problem before...

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Big Nook web browser problem

@Dragohunter

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Have you cycled the power yet?  Turn your Nook all the way off, wait a few minutes, then turn it on again. 

See whether that helps.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
Dragohunter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No that does not work... I turned it off all the way and turned it back on and charged the battery.

Please help!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Dragohunter wrote:

My sister was using my nook for a web browser for not a very good reason and now my web browser stopped functioning, when I click the web tab on the touch screen I get a "Browser exited unexpectedly" and a bunch of details like it says that it won't display the last site visited which may have caused the problem and loading a web page so on and so on" and then it returns automatically to the nook homepage with the wallpaper randomnly. If I press the "ok" selection on the touch screen and I get a blank page with the tab options for going to different sites that you usually see but in a few seconds it exits and goes back to the nook homepage.  Do I reset factory settings or something and if I do, does that delete all the files I put on my nook?

And I use my web browser a lot so there hasn't been a problem before...

I've had the first part of your problem before (a buggy webpage) all the way upto the bolded part. For me, it always restarted in blank page mode but never exited on its own like yours. There may be a problem with the browser itself. What do you mean the browser was being used for "not a very good reason"? Do you have reason to suspect a virus or something? There's no obvious reason why it should be stuck in this loop.

If it was me, I'd try (need very fast fingers) to load the default webpage (from favorites) the moment the blank page appears (but before it exits back to the main nook screen). Also, try this with the wifi off. I don't remember if there's a "home page" icon on the web browser bar. If yes, just try clicking that (anything to break what appears to be an infinite loop). After a browser crash, it should not try to load the offending website again - maybe some boolean got switched and it IS trying to load it (and crashing for the same reason).

If the browser is really that important to you, I guess reset to factory settings might fix things but yes, you will lose all the data on the nook. I'd wait a while longer to see if someone else has an idea. Have you contacted technical support yet? This is such a specific problem (from such a special set of circumstances) that I wouldn't be surprised if you're the first to have it. 

On a PC, I would advise clearing your web cache (temporary files) but I don't know where this is stored on the nook. Anyone know this?

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

You could try launching the browser with airplane mode on.

See if you can get to the settings Icon and clear history and clear cookies before it crashes.

Also set home page to something like google.com.  

After that, I'm out of ideas, and its time to nuke the nook.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@aditya,

I would advise clearing the cookies and history.

On the NOOK Web beta browser, Tap on Control (the three horizontal lines) , then Tap on Settings (the wheel/circular image on the far right), then tap on Clear cookies and Clear History.

New User
Dragohunter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I actually tried to do that, going into  favorites, homepage, and etc with very fast fingers, but the second I do, it exits back onto the nook homepage.... I tried also a bunch of other things with or without wifi on and nothing worked. I ended up simply copying all my files from my nook into a seperate folder and reseting to factory settings and putting all my files back. It took only about 40 min of adjusting making all the bookmarks and display settings and some stuff I did to my library but I don't want to do that everytime this problem occurs. -_-;

@Michael-V

it exits out in after a number of seconds so I can't just go into web browser and adjust settings.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:

@aditya,

I would advise clearing the cookies and history.

On the NOOK Web beta browser, Tap on Control (the three horizontal lines) , then Tap on Settings (the wheel/circular image on the far right), then tap on Clear cookies and Clear History.

Thanks Michael. I was somewhat unclear in my post - my problem was temporary (and did not recur). I was simply trying to give the original poster another example to help him out.

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue...

Tried the following:

1. power off/power on: problem still exists

2. power off, holding power button for 20 seconds. Turning it back on: problem still exists

3. Take the battery out for 15 minuted: problem still exists.

4. Did the steps in #2 6 times (supposedly it resets to factory settings then?): problem still exists.

I can't get to browser settings or anything because the nook goes back to the home page after about 2 seconds, regardless of what I tried to do in the browser.

So... on the phone with customer service right now... let's see what they say... in the meantime, any ideas from you all? 

Thanks!

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
New User
xmikaxsothex
0 Kudos

can you tell me what you did to make it work? i saw its been a while since you posted on this thread, so i thought you might have fixed it. thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

I'm generally opposed to necromancy, but this thread is where Google sent me when I encountered this problem today, and I found no help here or elsewhere, but I did get past the issue.

What worked for me was the 7-interrupted-boots (I found it reported as both 6 and 7, so went with 7), but it didn't work the first time. The steps are, with Nook powered off, hold the power button for an additional 12 seconds after you see the screen flash (I set a timer on my phone), release, and repeat six times, then hit the power button to turn on the Nook, hopefully triggering a system restore.

I triggered the restore twice, getting the blue progress bar and "Installing Update" screen, without the process completing successfully, and the Nook booted to 1.7 with the browser still crashing. Three or four times, I didn't even get the blue bar and the Nook just booted normally. The third time I triggered the restore, though, after a total of six or seven attempts, it went through and the Nook booted to 1.4.3. I was able to re-register, re-update to 1.7, and my browser worked again. 

New User
Shells75
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for posting this.  I have never heard of the 6-7 reboot thing. 

I  was frozen on a web page and no matter what I did couldn't get it off the page.......it was so frozen.

I was able to home but everytime I went back to the web it was still on the same page.

I turned the nook off and then held for several seconds until the nook came back on.  Wasn't sure if i should do this 7 times but did it once more and just waited and all came back.

Thanks Again for posting

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

hehe, sounds like you just powered it off and back on, but I'm glad it worked out for you :smileywink:

New User
cheesegirlKM
0 Kudos

Ok so what I did was I went to the settings then I went to device clicked on reset to factory settings, I had to unregister my account, but it worked. I also kept all my books. :smileyhappy:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 665 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: