Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hyperferret
0 Kudos

Bizarre- USB does not fit?

I've had my nook since February-ish. I've never had a problem getting the USB in and charging it before. Suddenly, though, no matter what I do, I can't connect the USB to the nook. I am putting it in the right direction and everything, but I can't push it all the way through to make it connect. I don't know how it happened- I suppose maybe the port is physically busted up?? I've always been very careful with it.. if that's the case, though, what can I do to fix this? I really want to charge this thing :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Bizarre- USB does not fit?

Any children in the house?  Any dogs?

Check for foreign objects in the port on the nook, and also in the plug on the end of the cord.

Check for physical damage on the plug as well. 

There is nothing special about that cord, any cord with matching ends would work.

But a broken socket is big trouble. 

New User
hyperferret
0 Kudos

Nope. I live alone. I have no idea how this could have happened. There's definitely nothing out of the ordinary in the port or the plug.. The plug does not appear to be damaged. I suspect the port on the nook might be damaged somehow but I can't say for sure. This is strange and confusing and I'm not sure how I would go about getting this fixed..

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Maybe a dust bunny crawled into the port? Hopefully it isn't broken!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

On the bottom  side of the plug (Not the side with the n molded in),  there are two little tiny spring locks, that get depressed into their slots as you slide the connector into the nook.

If these things get bent out, and hang down or get bent sideways it will never fit.  So reach for your magnifying glass and check that out.  If bent, or the tip is crushed, you can get a new cable, either from B&N, or from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189164   (about 4 bucks including shipping).

If the damage or debris is inside the nook socket, you can try to fish it out with a needle. (Might be wise to remove the battery first). Sometimes a USB pin will get bent up in the socket.  Sometimes the center post gets broken and lodges in sideways.

Once that happens you have to fish out the broken center post, (again with the needle) and then you have to baby it from then on.

If everything looks ok, no debris, no missing center post, then maybe just a tad more pressure is needed.  

New User
hyperferret
0 Kudos

Thanks for the thorough response! The problem was definitely the center post being pressed down. I brought it in to a B&N to compare it to other nooks and talk to the customer service people to make sure.

I figured since this damage isn't covered by the 1 year warranty anyway, I might as well fiddle with it myself. I just used an Xacto knife to bend it back in place.

I don't know exactly how it got busted in the first place because I am always really paranoid about this exact thing happening! Ah well, I'll just have to be extra careful on top of my extra carefulness. Thanks again. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

If you haven't had it 30 days yet, get a squaretrade warranty on the thing!  It covers everything if you add accidental, accidents will cost a $50 deductible, but that is a lot better than having to replace it if something had really been wrong.

You might have some luck with coupon codes here to help defray the cost.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 667 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: