12-08-2010 10:44 AM
I had my nook for about two months now when the ink-screen turned black completely and is not responding to the reboot (I tried removing battery and all). I cannot even tell if it's turned on or not. If I plug it in my PC, no removable disk is found - like nothing's plugged in. I am currently not in the US, and won't be for some time, so please help!!!
12-08-2010 01:55 PM
First thing I would try is to leave it plugged into the wall charger for at least a couple of hours. If your battery was totally dead it may take that long to charge the battery enough for you to see power getting to the nook. Worth a try . . .
12-09-2010 12:27 PM
Please follow the instructions below by the letter and pay particular attention to the bolded sections….
Use the following procedure to restore functionality to an unresponsive NOOK.
Initial conditions: Ensure NOOK is properly ejected or unplugged from any AC outlet or USB power source prior to performing this procedure. You will need a clear space with good lighting as there are small parts which may become lost in the battery removal portion of this procedure.
Equipment: (1) Jewelers screwdriver (Phillips-head size 0 or 00), (1) USB cord w/charger.
1) Remove NOOK back plate to expose battery. To do this, find the tab on the bottom of your NOOK, near the Micro-USB slot. Gently pull away the back-plate from your NOOK until the back plate is fully removed. A click will be heard indicating the back plate has been properly separated from the device.
2) Upon proper removal of back plate, the battery will be exposed. The following step will have you remove the screw which holds the battery in place. Using the specified screwdriver, loosen the battery securing screw which holds the battery in place (Counter-clockwise to loosen). Continue loosening until screw can be completely removed.
Caution: The battery securing screw is very small and can be easily lost, proper lighting and a flat clean surface is recommended.
3) Remove the battery from the NOOK for 45 minutes.
4) Once the battery is removed, hold the power button down for 45-60 seconds. This ensures the NOOK will receive a final shutdown command and discharges all residual power.
5) After 45 minutes has elapsed re-insert battery into NOOK and re-install battery securing screw.
6) At this point you should fully charge your NOOK using your NOOK USB and charger with any standard AC wall outlet. Charging can take up to 4 hours so be patient. At some point in the charging process the charging LED should illuminate and your E-Ink display may cycle on and off.
Upon successful completion of this procedure your NOOK should be returned to a normal working status. If a “?” is displayed in the battery icon, it is recommended you insert a different NOOK battery momentarily then re-insert the original battery to clear the “?.”
I am also adding the following to cover all bases and possibilities....
Side Loading Software Update
1) To Side load software updates, download update from B&N.com under the NOOK tab.
2) Go to the FAQ and Support Tab and click the “available here,” link.
3) Download the file to your desktop, ensure the file name is exactly “signed_bravo_update.dat”
4) If not already connected, connect nook via USB to PC
5) Open My Computer and drag update file “signed_bravo_update.dat” to the NOOK drive.
6) Eject the NOOK by right-clicking NOOK drive and clicking Eject (disconnect Nook from USB)
7) Ensure NOOK is powered off then power on nook… on the lower right hand corner of the E-Ink display a update progress percentage will countdown indicating your update is working.
1) If applicable register your NOOK with appropriate information.
INVALID UPDATE MESSAGE
Try these steps to get NOOK fully functioning again if an error message reading “invalid update” appears during or immediately after trying to update your NOOK with the latest software update:
- Check your computer to verify that the NOOK software update file that you just downloaded from BN.COM and saved on your computer is named “signed_bravo_update.dat”. This name must match exactly. Please make sure that the file name has not been modified in any way and that Windows did not automatically add a “(1)” or “(2)” or some other extension or modification to the file name.
- Verify that the file is the correct memory size for the current V 1.5 software update, which should be 62.6MB. If the file size is anything else, you should delete the file and download it again from BN.COM.
- Tap Settings on NOOK's Home menu and make sure NOOK's battery charge is at 20% or more.
- Connect NOOK to a computer using the USB cable that came with NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). A"USB Mode" image will also be visible on the NOOK screen.
- Double click on the NOOK drive that appears in My Computer or on the desktop and make sure there are is no file named signed_bravo_update.dat currently on the device. If so, delete it.
- Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.
- After the file has finished fully copying to their NOOK, make sure the customer is un-mounting properly by right clicking on the NOOK drive in My Computer and selecting Eject.
- NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the update automatically.
- DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR NOOK during the installation process.
- Once installation is complete, NOOK will automatically shut-down, restart and go to the Home screen. You may also notice that the EInk display flashes a couple of times during the installation and restart; this is normal. Once on the Home screen, the installation is done. You should tap the Home icon, tap Settings and verify the software version number on the Settings screen.
12-11-2010 03:24 PM
I tried to remove battery thing, but nothing happened after I started to charge it aftter 45 min.
As for the second method, the computer is not detecting nook at all.
12-11-2010 03:54 PM
This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.
06-07-2012 09:42 AM
I had the same problem and I was so upset. I just called the help number - 1-800-the-book, the barnes and noble number. The tech support helped me. I just had to plug in to my charger and then try holding down my power button for 60 seconds. This did not work. That was the first thing tech told me to try to get my screen back on. NEXT tech told me to unplug from wall charger and plug into computer usb with charger and my screen came back on!!!!! Call the number they may help you too!!!!
08-21-2012 11:16 AM
07-15-2013 01:38 PM